Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 53,435, Level: 71
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 615
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Daserop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Bebop
    Posts
    3,594
    Points
    53,435
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 453
    Given: 481

    Amazon getting into grocery business

    Soon I will have no need to leave my house!

    Amazon plans major move into grocery business - NBC News.com



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 432,932, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    22,905
    Points
    432,932
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,758
    Given: 1,044

    Re: Amazon getting into grocery business

    Major markets... so they'll be here around 2020.



  3. #3
    DistrictCyclone
    Guest

    Re: Amazon getting into grocery business

    There's a service like this in DC called Peapod. It sucks.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 82,278, Level: 89
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,472
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RyCy04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,410
    Points
    82,278
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 24

    Re: Amazon getting into grocery business

    My guess they have just been waiting for internet companies to lose their tax exemption on out of state sales. It sounds like the Marketplace Fairness Act is pretty close to passing, which probably set this in motion for Amazon.

    If Marketplace Fairness Act does pass, we are going to see a lot of smaller internet companies go out of business. The software and logic it will take to update a business' sales tax information for each state, county, city, etc. will be too much for a lot of smaller internet companies.

    One example I have heard is in Wisconsin the sale of an American flag or a Wisconsin flag does not have sales tax, but all other flags are taxed. This rule changes if the flag is sold packaged with a pole. Trying to update all of these taxes for all the different products for all the different rules like this would make my head explode.



  5. #5
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 637,608, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    25,201
    Points
    637,608
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,907
    Given: 360

    Re: Amazon getting into grocery business

    Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    There's a service like this in DC called Peapod. It sucks.
    "And if I'm hungry at 4:30 in the morning? PinkDot will deliver."


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 80,467, Level: 88
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,483
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,744
    Points
    80,467
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,780
    Given: 6,805

    Re: Amazon getting into grocery business

    My sister and her husband work from home. She is not so bad, she at least leaves the house to cart their son around, but i swear my brother-in-law never leaves the house. He has been ordering things like paper towels from Amazon for years so I am sure he will be on the grocery delivery train.



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 129,235, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,466
    Points
    129,235
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 856
    Given: 1,710

    Re: Amazon getting into grocery business

    Quote Originally Posted by Daserop View Post
    Soon I will have no need to leave my house!

    Amazon plans major move into grocery business - NBC News.com
    Can I download food samples to my Kindle?



  8. #8
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 637,608, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    25,201
    Points
    637,608
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,907
    Given: 360

    Re: Amazon getting into grocery business

    Quote Originally Posted by carvers4math View Post
    My sister and her husband work from home. She is not so bad, she at least leaves the house to cart their son around, but i swear my brother-in-law never leaves the house. He has been ordering things like paper towels from Amazon for years so I am sure he will be on the grocery delivery train.
    I will say that since we signed up for Amazon Prime, we order a lot more through Amazon. Not quite to the level of ordering paper towels, but stuff like diapers, we definitely do. They're cheaper and they arrive in 2 days for no extra cost. It's much easier.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 13,836, Level: 35
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    RotatingColumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sioux City
    Posts
    647
    Points
    13,836
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 153

    Re: Amazon getting into grocery business

    Quote Originally Posted by RyCy04 View Post
    My guess they have just been waiting for internet companies to lose their tax exemption on out of state sales. It sounds like the Marketplace Fairness Act is pretty close to passing, which probably set this in motion for Amazon.

    If Marketplace Fairness Act does pass, we are going to see a lot of smaller internet companies go out of business. The software and logic it will take to update a business' sales tax information for each state, county, city, etc. will be too much for a lot of smaller internet companies.

    One example I have heard is in Wisconsin the sale of an American flag or a Wisconsin flag does not have sales tax, but all other flags are taxed. This rule changes if the flag is sold packaged with a pole. Trying to update all of these taxes for all the different products for all the different rules like this would make my head explode.

    I don't think it will have the affect you think. I design ecomm sites and it's pretty easy to set tax according to state. If it has to be broken down to county, city, etc then yes it could be a major headache. However, someone will develop a plugin for this and sell it for probably $100 per license. I'm going to be super busy with website updates once this passes.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 167,250, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    theantiAIRBHG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hiawatha, IA
    Posts
    9,499
    Points
    167,250
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,640
    Given: 1,292

    Re: Amazon getting into grocery business

    There's an easier way to get groceries delivered to you, at least there was in college.

    Get all liquored up and order a za. Tell the delivery kid you'll slip him a few Budweisers he he stops at the store and snags you Doritos or limes or whatever it is you need.



    Follow me on Twitter: @theantiAIRBHG

  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 673,013, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    27,343
    Points
    673,013
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,853
    Given: 539

    Re: Amazon getting into grocery business

    The **** is a za? And if it's pizza then **** you.




    Eyes closed, head first, can't lose.

  12. #12
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 637,608, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    25,201
    Points
    637,608
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,907
    Given: 360

    Re: Amazon getting into grocery business

    Quote Originally Posted by theantiAIRBHG View Post
    There's an easier way to get groceries delivered to you, at least there was in college.

    Get all liquored up and order a za. Tell the delivery kid you'll slip him a few Budweisers he he stops at the store and snags you Doritos or limes or whatever it is you need.
    yeah, something tells me that's not going to work on a macro level. Good try, though.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 55,611, Level: 73
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,439
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Tailg8er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    3,203
    Points
    55,611
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 333
    Given: 1,324

    Re: Amazon getting into grocery business

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    I will say that since we signed up for Amazon Prime, we order a lot more through Amazon. Not quite to the level of ordering paper towels, but stuff like diapers, we definitely do. They're cheaper and they arrive in 2 days for no extra cost. It's much easier.
    Exactly. I leave my house plenty, but if I can get something cheaper & delivered free I have no issues buying it online.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 14,541, Level: 36
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 309
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    JWIL4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    1,006
    Points
    14,541
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 48

    Re: Amazon getting into grocery business

    We're at the point where we buy almost everything other than groceries through Amazon. I'd love to get groceries from them as well if they are competitive on the price. I think it would help to reduce the impulse purchases. My wife likes to come home from the grocery store with about 30 things that weren't on the list.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 75,817, Level: 85
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    besserheimerphat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    3,390
    Points
    75,817
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 550
    Given: 815

    Re: Amazon getting into grocery business

    This has been done in Korea for a little while now...

    Korea’s Tesco reinvents grocery shopping with QR-code “stores” | Mobile | Geek.com

    Tesco set up virtual grocery stores in locations like subway/metro stations so that people can literally do their grocery shopping while waiting for the train.The walls are plastered with posters that resemble the aisles and shelves of a supermarket. They’re lined from top to bottom with the products you’d normally see while grocery shopping. The only difference is that you can’t just grab the product and check out. The groceries each have a QR code which the shopper scans with a smartphone camera and adds to a shopping list. When the shopper has scanned all the codes for all the groceries needed, he pays using his phone and the groceries are then delivered to his home.


    You can spend a lot of time and money picking out the perfect floral bouquet for your date ... but you're probably better off checking if you have bad breath and taking the porn out of the glove compartment.

    The moral: you gain more by not being stupid, than you do by being smart. Smart gets neutralized by other smart people. Stupid does not.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM