Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 66

Where are Poppins and Prins now?

Knew sadly that Poppins got cut by Seattle, but where did she go? Don't remember what happen to Prins after she got selected by Eastern USA team, of which i forgot their name. What happened to her?

Had been looking forward to maybe driving up to Minn when each of their teams played in Minn as we did when Allison Lacey played for Seattle.

U of OWA ... HOME OF THE FERENTZ "LOW RENT" GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF MORAL TURPITUDE ....THE LEADING UNIVERSITY of SELECTIVE ETHICS......PROUD TO BE ETHICS-FREE, INTEGRITY-FREE .
    NO INTEGRITY, NO "I" IN OWA
    CAN YOU TELL I LOVE THE U OF OWA

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,225
    Given: 3,023

Re: Where are Poppins and Prins now?

Quote Originally Posted by majorcyfan View Post
    Knew sadly that Poppins got cut by Seattle, but where did she go? Don't remember what happen to Prins after she got selected by Eastern USA team, of which i forgot their name. What happened to her?

Had been looking forward to maybe driving up to Minn when each of their teams played in Minn as we did when Allison Lacey played for Seattle.

Prins was cut the first weekend. I think she's one of those that playing basketball isn't a huge priority. She's also getting married soon I think it may even be as soon as this summer but not sure.

CF SURVIVOR 4 WINNER!

Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 1,068

Poppens has been getting drunk on Welch Ave since being cut.

Walk On
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

Anna is back in class during the summer, has one year left. Wedding is in December.

Starter
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Poppens is headed to China...

Poppens joining showcase tour team on China trip | Ames Tribune

3:29 pm - June 06, 2013

Poppens joining showcase tour team on China trip

After being waived by the Seattle Storm of the WNBA in May, former Iowa State women’s basketball player Chelsea Poppens has been selected to be a part of a team that will travel to China this summer for a series of exhibition games, Cyclone coach Bill Fennelly said.

Poppens will leave around mid-June for the approximately month-long tour, which is designed to showcase aspiring overseas professionalsto agents and talent evaluators. Fennelly wasn’t certain of all the details but did say the squad will play against professional teams.

“This will give her exposure to a lot of professional teams overseas because that’s who they play,” Fennelly said.
    “It will be a good experience … Historically, it’s something that’s led to more opportunities.”

Poppens has expressed a desire to play professionally in Australia, Fennelly said, though she’s keeping her options open. Most overseas leagues start sometime in the fall.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 971
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 76

Hopefully she can play either in Australia or in Europe and getting signed by a good team.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 8

Not to knock women's hoops because I do follow our women's team and go to a fair chunk of games but basketball is probably not a #1 priority after college for most of our ISU players. First off not only is it hard to make a WNBA team but minimum pay is around $36,000 and the max is around $105,000 so it's not exactly a lucrative career path like men's basketball is. I don't know what they pay overseas but can't imagine it is significantly more plus you have the inconvenience of being no where near friends and family being overseas. Depending on what they major in I would think that financially their professional career paths as a result of their college degree would likely pay more than having a short lived basketball career after college.

Go Cubs Go!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 978
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    Not to knock women's hoops because I do follow our women's team and go to a fair chunk of games but basketball is probably not a #1 priority after college for most of our ISU players. First off not only is it hard to make a WNBA team but minimum pay is around $36,000 and the max is around $105,000 so it's not exactly a lucrative career path like men's basketball is. I don't know what they pay overseas but can't imagine it is significantly more plus you have the inconvenience of being no where near friends and family being overseas. Depending on what they major in I would think that financially their professional career paths as a result of their college degree would likely pay more than having a short lived basketball career after college.

Overseas can pay significantly more. You did hit the nail on the head though, being away from friends and family can be tough.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by wxman1 View Post
    Overseas can pay significantly more. You did hit the nail on the head though, being away from friends and family can be tough.
    It's all about what the person in question values more. For me while I do like being paid well there are certain aspects of my life I will not sacrifice just to make a few more dollars. I like my life outside of work so I am not a fan of consistently working a significant amount of hours over the standard 40 or traveling a lot for work and I like to be able to be close enough to family and friends that I don't have to fly and take extra time off just to see them. Unless I was going to make a ridiculous amount of money in a short time that would set me up for a long time and be able to do less later I'd take that but I can't imagine that women's basketball is going to pay you well enough that you could play say 5 years overseas and sacrifice all that I just mentioned above then be able to come back to the states and make an easy living the rest of your life like you probably could do if you were playing men's basketball. It all just boils down to priorities and what a person wants out of life.

Go Cubs Go!

Rookie
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 51

minimum pay is around $36,000 and the max is around $105,000 so it's not exactly a lucrative career path like men's basketball is.
    This is a lot more than I thought it was. But still, say she makes 50k per year during a 5+ year career, she just set her lifelong career behind by doing so.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 971
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 76

It's all about what the person in question values more. For me while I do like being paid well there are certain aspects of my life I will not sacrifice just to make a few more dollars. I like my life outside of work so I am not a fan of consistently working a significant amount of hours over the standard 40 or traveling a lot for work and I like to be able to be close enough to family and friends that I don't have to fly and take extra time off just to see them. Unless I was going to make a ridiculous amount of money in a short time that would set me up for a long time and be able to do less later I'd take that but I can't imagine that women's basketball is going to pay you well enough that you could play say 5 years overseas and sacrifice all that I just mentioned above then be able to come back to the states and make an easy living the rest of your life like you probably could do if you were playing men's basketball. It all just boils down to priorities and what a person wants out of life.
    They won't have to stay for the entire year though, the basketball season in Europe begins in the fall and ends in the late Spring.
    I don't think they make easy living after 5 years but the savings should be good enough if they manage their lives carefully. That will compensate the "late" start in the "regular" job field when they start after retiring.

Starter
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    They won't have to stay for the entire year though, the basketball season in Europe begins in the fall and ends in the late Spring.
    I don't think they make easy living after 5 years but the savings should be good enough if they manage their lives carefully. That will compensate the "late" start in the "regular" job field when they start after retiring.
    As this post suggests, they can play professionally overseas or in the WNBA and still have other jobs.

While they are giving up some things, they are also gaining quite a bit. It is a way of continuing their education and gaining global and cultural awareness, which could be valuable for future jobs or just raising their own family. Just as college students study abroad for extended periods, these players are getting an international experience that they most likely could not get while tied down as a varsity player in college. But they are getting paid for it. So all in all, a pretty good deal if they have a sense of adventure, want a bigger perspective on life, and don't have another career option they prefer.