Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 859
    Given: 1,486

Re: Games of Thrones Book Thread (With Spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomeborg View Post
    I don't see Tyrion making it to the end.

And seriously, on the week we are all reminded of the Red Wedding, we're going to argue that a character is safe? And safe because there's too much left for them to do?

The most true statement ever made in the series is from Cersi when she said "it's the game of thrones. You either win or you die."

Everyone we love in this series is going to die. I accepted that a long time ago.

My guess is that Martin introduces Azor Ahai in the last 10 pages of the last book. He shows up, kills everyone, and everything, is a character we've never met before, and Darrio somehow ends up on the Iron Throne

Freakin' Darrio......
    I totally agree with you. This is simply a crucial period of time in his fantasy world -- it doesn't necessary end well. George Martin is 70+ years old, and I don't think he cares if he makes the fanboys happy. I think he wants to create a work of art that is remembered, not one that helps people sleep at night.

Legend
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 859
    Given: 1,486

And seriously, on the week we are all reminded of the Red Wedding, we're going to argue that a character is safe? And safe because there's too much left for them to do?

The most true statement ever made in the series is from Cersi when she said "it's the game of thrones. You either win or you die."

Everyone we love in this series is going to die. I accepted that a long time ago.

My guess is that Martin introduces Azor Ahai in the last 10 pages of the last book. He shows up, kills everyone, and everything, is a character we've never met before, and Darrio somehow ends up on the Iron Throne

Freakin' Darrio......
    I'm not even sure Azor Ahai Reborn is going to actually happen. It came from Melisandre, I believe, who isn't without fault.

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,083
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 4

Honest but awkward question, Bran is a cripple, lets say the rest of the Starks were killed off, would he be able to continue the line?

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman38 View Post
    This X 1000. Another great story line ended and replaced with some random a hole that I could care less about.
    Agree also. Last book seemed to lose my attention frequently. The Jon Snow thread was the one keeping me reading. Want to see Jon and Arya team up again.

Addict
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 976
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 478
    Given: 609

I think this is a big misconception. I could be wrong but I think Martin only kills off characters who's stories were really about to wind down anyways.

If Rob didn't die where else could his story have gone? He was rolling to Kings Landing so it wouldn't make sense if the same armies he's been routing all of a sudden stopped him. IMO Rob taking the throne would kill a lot of the story, you need someone you hate on the throne for it to work. So Rob could have gotten there and been defeated, but Martin's already played out a similar story line with Stannis.

And with Rob dead Catelyn was an expendable character.

"But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 804
    Given: 3,296

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Arrrggg! I'm about 40% done with book 5, and the spoilers get me within a half page!

DUDE! It was in the thread title!

M 7/09

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think this is a big misconception. I could be wrong but I think Martin only kills off characters who's stories were really about to wind down anyways.

If Rob didn't die where else could his story have gone? He was rolling to Kings Landing so it wouldn't make sense if the same armies he's been routing all of a sudden stopped him. IMO Rob taking the throne would kill a lot of the story, you need someone you hate on the throne for it to work. So Rob could have gotten there and been defeated, but Martin's already played out a similar story line with Stannis.

And with Rob dead Catelyn was an expendable character.
    I do agree with this. Martin kills selectively - people who were winding down, but it was still a huge shock for them to die. Like you said about Catelyn - at that point, she was just all about internal conflict, her story wasn't going much of anywhere. I get it, she was all torn up, but it got really, really tiresome to read, especially since she put herself in the situation of being away from Rickon and Bran.

M 7/09

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,070
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 40

Freakin' Darrio......
    I have far too much respect for Martin and his writing to believe he would just deus ex machina his life's work like that.

Also, did you HEAR him whistle? That alone should get snaggletooth a throne

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 829
    Given: 481

I think Daario dies near the beginning of the next book. Along with several other characters.

Addict
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 976
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 478
    Given: 609

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    I do agree with this. Martin kills selectively - people who were winding down, but it was still a huge shock for them to die. Like you said about Catelyn - at that point, she was just all about internal conflict, her story wasn't going much of anywhere. I get it, she was all torn up, but it got really, really tiresome to read, especially since she put herself in the situation of being away from Rickon and Bran.
    I have a big love/hate relationship with his style. I think the deaths are surprising because they generally happen shortly after the height of the characters story. We also live in a world where main characters are treated like sacred lambs and no matter how many times the writers try to convince you they're in peril you never actually believe they could die, cough...Revolution...cough. That's why I'm glad that shows like Walking Dead have such a huge following, the story should have priority over the actor.

A little off topic but I also wish he would cut down the side stories and put more focus on the best characters/stories like Tyrion and Arya.

"But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

Legend
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,404
    Given: 1,046

It seems some are sure Jon is a Targaryen and not a Stark (curious about the certainty), but many are also conjecturing he could transfer into Ghost. (the name Ghost taking on a new meaning btw).

There have been so many hints that he has warg (sp?) powers and I'm guessing that means he must be Stark/Northerner. Either way it seems the two theories would be mutually exclusive as there's no reason given to think the son of a southerner and Targaryen would be a warg.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,046
    Given: 1,860

Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    It seems some are sure Jon is a Targaryen and not a Stark (curious about the certainty), but many are also conjecturing he could transfer into Ghost. (the name Ghost taking on a new meaning btw).

There have been so many hints that he has warg (sp?) powers and I'm guessing that means he must be Stark/Northerner. Either way it seems the two theories would be mutually exclusive as there's no reason given to think the son of a southerner and Targaryen would be a warg.
    If he's the by-product of a Lyanna/Rhaegar tryst (or rape) then he would be both Stark and Targaryen.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,145
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 53

Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post

Jon Snow could be the son of Lyana Stark (Ned's sister) and Rhaegar Targaryean, so he could have some awesome powers. We'll see how it ends up though. All we have to go off of is the unknown happenings in the Tower of Joy and the words "promise me, Ned" from Lyana.

On that note, isn't it crazy that Ned and Howland Reed were the only survivors of that event? Supposedly the Sword of the Morning was one of the best knights ever. Howland is such a scrawny little guy. Maybe he has some mystical powers? I want to know more about him.

Legend
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,404
    Given: 1,046

Quote Originally Posted by mapnerd View Post
    Jon Snow could be the son of Lyana Stark (Ned's sister) and Rhaegar Targaryean, so he could have some awesome powers. We'll see how it ends up though. All we have to go off of is the unknown happenings in the Tower of Joy and the words "promise me, Ned" from Lyana.

On that note, isn't it crazy that Ned and Howland Reed were the only survivors of that event? Supposedly the Sword of the Morning was one of the best knights ever. Howland is such a scrawny little guy. Maybe he has some mystical powers? I want to know more about him.
    Gotcha...I was thinking same girl as Ned, but somehow Rhaegar (sp?) was the father (which also seemed incredibly random). I get the theory now. There's no way he'd be a warg the way I was thinking.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I have a big love/hate relationship with his style. I think the deaths are surprising because they generally happen shortly after the height of the characters story. We also live in a world where main characters are treated like sacred lambs and no matter how many times the writers try to convince you they're in peril you never actually believe they could die, cough...Revolution...cough. That's why I'm glad that shows like Walking Dead have such a huge following, the story should have priority over the actor.

A little off topic but I also wish he would cut down the side stories and put more focus on the best characters/stories like Tyrion and Arya.
    I agree. I understand that it's going somewhere, and they're very interesting characters, but the whole Greyjoy line has me a little bored. I'm sure there's going to be some massive struggle with Euron and... someone, but it sort of just seems to be complicating the story at this point.

M 7/09