Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 434
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 261
    Given: 33

Re: Games of Thrones Book Thread (With Spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    Did that happen at the inn in the books? I thought it was the next skirmish?
    Happened at the inn.

"It was like going on vacation to go play Iowa." - Coach Johnny Orr

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 513
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 359

It will be important the Hound is gravely injured at some point, but they can milk this story line which is enjoyable all they want in my opinion. The Hound has become one of my favorite characters in the show even though he was not a main character in the book. I think this is a welcome deviation from the books. They don't need to parallel each other perfectly.

I like the guy they chose for Red Viper. My only complaint is why is he not playing Daario Nahaaris?

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ThatllDoCy View Post
    It will be important the Hound is gravely injured at some point, but they can milk this story line which is enjoyable all they want in my opinion. The Hound has become one of my favorite characters in the show even though he was not a main character in the book. I think this is a welcome deviation from the books. They don't need to parallel each other perfectly.

I like the guy they chose for Red Viper. My only complaint is why is he not playing Daario Nahaaris?
    I agree. They can milk the Arya/Hound stuff as long as they want. After the Inn where he gets injured, Sandor and Arya basically leave the timeline of the rest of the story. They exist in their own little world, and the only time they (up until what's been published so far) touch the rest of the story is in rumor and hearsay. They aren't tied to pulling the trigger on losing one of the best actors in the series and one of the best pairings right away, just because the events unfolded at a certain time in the books.

And let's face it. We're getting into the parts of the books where half the characters disappear for a long time, so we're going to see a mingling of storylines, the extension of storylines, and so on. This is an easy place to milk for more interaction.

I'm glad he's playing Obyron (even if I hate how they're pronouncing it in the show), because I like the character and think he needs more gravitas than Daario. Daario has no depth to his character other than "***** that leads Dany to being horrible instead of awesome." Honestly, you could hire any pretty McCaffery in hollywood to play that stupid part.

The thing I'm trying to say is: I think it should be legal to kill Daario and anyone who plays him on television, so long as you're yelling "THIS IS FOR QUENTIN!" while you beat them.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomeborg View Post
    I agree. They can milk the Arya/Hound stuff as long as they want. After the Inn where he gets injured, Sandor and Arya basically leave the timeline of the rest of the story. They exist in their own little world, and the only time they (up until what's been published so far) touch the rest of the story is in rumor and hearsay. They aren't tied to pulling the trigger on losing one of the best actors in the series and one of the best pairings right away, just because the events unfolded at a certain time in the books.

And let's face it. We're getting into the parts of the books where half the characters disappear for a long time, so we're going to see a mingling of storylines, the extension of storylines, and so on. This is an easy place to milk for more interaction.

I'm glad he's playing Obyron (even if I hate how they're pronouncing it in the show), because I like the character and think he needs more gravitas than Daario. Daario has no depth to his character other than "***** that leads Dany to being horrible instead of awesome." Honestly, you could hire any pretty McCaffery in hollywood to play that stupid part.

The thing I'm trying to say is: I think it should be legal to kill Daario and anyone who plays him on television, so long as you're yelling "THIS IS FOR QUENTIN!" while you beat them.
    It is going to be interesting (next year) to see what they do on HBO. Season 4 of TV promises to rock since they are finishing up Book 3. But then, looks like it will slow way down (from an action standpoint) when they tackle Book 4 and 5, particularly with Dany becoming near worthless.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,521
    Given: 145

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarning View Post
    It is going to be interesting (next year) to see what they do on HBO. Season 4 of TV promises to rock since they are finishing up Book 3. But then, looks like it will slow way down (from an action standpoint) when they tackle Book 4 and 5, particularly with Dany becoming near worthless.
    Yeah, book 4 is just a drag in general. So little actually happens. Brienne's quest is interesting. And the characters of Cersei and Jamie really get fleshed out. But that won't make good TV. They've got to combine the events of 4 and 5. Otherwise, they'll just be treading water. There's no way audiences will wait an entire year without hearing from Jon Snow or Tyrion.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    Yeah, book 4 is just a drag in general. So little actually happens. Brienne's quest is interesting. And the characters of Cersei and Jamie really get fleshed out. But that won't make good TV. They've got to combine the events of 4 and 5. Otherwise, they'll just be treading water. There's no way audiences will wait an entire year without hearing from Jon Snow or Tyrion.
    As others have speculated in the other thread, I wonder if they will skip the Kingsmoot altogether. Other than Asha, that just introduces a whole slew of new characters and I wonder how the HBO viewers would like that.

I see Bran is going to be in the next episode, so hopefully they are accelerating his storyline by going into Book 4.

I could also see Season 4 including some of Brienne's quest, even possibly the last episode being her meeting up with Lady Stoneheart? But then there would be even less good content for Season 5.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarning View Post
    As others have speculated in the other thread, I wonder if they will skip the Kingsmoot altogether. Other than Asha, that just introduces a whole slew of new characters and I wonder how the HBO viewers would like that.

I see Bran is going to be in the next episode, so hopefully they are accelerating his storyline by going into Book 4.

I could also see Season 4 including some of Brienne's quest, even possibly the last episode being her meeting up with Lady Stoneheart? But then there would be even less good content for Season 5.
    Yeah, they very easily could condense a lot of the material from the next two books into one season, but I think they'd rather extend it, to make more content. I suspect they'll go away from the source material to do that.

-Simon Belmont

-Master Shake

-Lorem Ipsum

Pro
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 46

And then everyone will take 6 years off from the series so GRRM can finish his damn books. The actress playing Arya will be like 28 or something when it starts back up again. This is a serious concern. I hope they know what they're doing.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 1,698

I haven't watched enough of the TV show I guess to know why everyone just thinks Dany is so great who watches it. Is it really just a guy thing? She does do some great things, but being inside her head in the books is just painful and when she starts messing with these loser guys it is just awful. I guess I did feel sorry for her not having a clue about what was happening to her body, but often she is as annoying of a teenage girl as Sansa.

Also, is it OK to talk about both the book and the TV show here or am I in trouble?

Last edited by carvers4math; 04-08-2014 at 03:00 PM.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 776
    Given: 3,129

Quote Originally Posted by carvers4math View Post
    I haven't watched enough of the TV show I guess to know why everyone just thinks Dany is so great who watches it. Is it really just a guy thing? She does do some great things, but being inside her head in the books is just painful and when she starts messing with these loser guys it is just awful. I guess I did feel sorry for her not having a clue about what was happening to her body, but often she is as annoying of a teenage girl as Sansa.

Also, is it OK to talk about both the book and the TV show here or am I in trouble?
    Do you want to get banned?

M 7/09

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 1,698

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Do you want to get banned?
    Usually peeps around here are more laid back in the down sports cycle. Hoping that kicks in soon.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by carvers4math View Post

Agree completely. Watching Dany's character grow from an innocent, naive, child to the mother of dragons has been awesome (both in the books and on screen). But after (at) Meereen, she takes a turn and her character becomes completely irritating in the books. I understand that there is a lesson to be learned that liberating and conquering is different than governing and leading, but she is in a tailspin.

I have to believe the show will keep her at badass level.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think the end of Dance With Dragons has her out of the tailspin. Or, at least, if she's still in Middle School Drama Mode Dany after the end of that book, she's super dedicated to being in that tailspin, and is now actively trying to suck.

What did you guys think of the switch-up with the Thenns?

In the books, these are the guys who actually have lords and laws. They speak the Old Tongue still. They're old and traditional. There's no mention of cannibalism on their part in the books. These are the dudes who's leader (not Styr, but his son Sigorn) to form House Thenn, and basically supplant the Karstarks. I just can't see these guys becoming a noble house....

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomeborg View Post
    I think the end of Dance With Dragons has her out of the tailspin. Or, at least, if she's still in Middle School Drama Mode Dany after the end of that book, she's super dedicated to being in that tailspin, and is now actively trying to suck.

What did you guys think of the switch-up with the Thenns?

In the books, these are the guys who actually have lords and laws. They speak the Old Tongue still. They're old and traditional. There's no mention of cannibalism on their part in the books. These are the dudes who's leader (not Styr, but his son Sigorn) to form House Thenn, and basically supplant the Karstarks. I just can't see these guys becoming a noble house....
    yeah, Jon Snow likes the Styr, doesn't he? They're an important piece of him getting the wall castles occupied.

-Simon Belmont

-Master Shake

-Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,090
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 92

I think I read an interview with GRRM where he basically admits that he wrote himself into a corner with Dany in Meereen and he had no idea how he was going to resolve all the plot threads he'd started, and that partly explains why it took so long for him to publish Dance with Dragons.