Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 103,985, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Boxerdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Beaverdale, IA
    Posts
    2,948
    Points
    103,985
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 148

    Windows 8 can suck my shiny metal...

    Seriously. I've tried to give this pile of crap a chance but can't stand it. Just now got done with a mandatory restart. I was using an online chat with Sears service to try and get some repair parts to pick up when bam....restart. No way to stop. No warning. It had said something 15 minutes ago but nothing since then.

    Seriously WTF. Then get to sit there for 20 minutes while it updates. Did it REALLY need to update right that second. I seriously needed like 2 more minutes to get things squared away. Now I get to waste another 15 minutes explaining everything again.

    What a POS operating system.



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 52,963, Level: 71
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,087
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Daserop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Bebop
    Posts
    3,555
    Points
    52,963
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 442
    Given: 475

    Re: Windows 8 can suck my shiny metal...

    You need to remember with Microsoft's OS they alternate from good to bad

    Windows 98 Good
    Windows 2000/ME Bad
    Windows XP Good
    Windows Vista Bad
    Windows 7 Good
    Windows 8 Bad



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 77,829, Level: 86
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,514
    Points
    77,829
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 429

    Re: Windows 8 can suck my shiny metal...

    Quote Originally Posted by Boxerdaddy View Post
    Seriously. I've tried to give this pile of crap a chance but can't stand it. Just now got done with a mandatory restart.
    Wow, that really sucks. I wonder if there's a way to instruct the OS only to do manual updates?

    It doesn't help you, but I also heard MS is issuing an update that will allow W8 to revert to the "classic view"


    "We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

    -ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 670,154, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    26,999
    Points
    670,154
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,517
    Given: 500

    Re: Windows 8 can suck my shiny metal...

    Windows update gives a maximum of 2 days to delay I think, did you ignore something for 2 days?



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 77,029, Level: 86
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,321
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ItsCyence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Brookings, SD
    Posts
    3,573
    Points
    77,029
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 140

    Re: Windows 8 can suck my shiny metal...

    Windows 7 rocks. When they come out with Windows XYZ then it'll be worth to update.



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 131,289, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cyclonesince78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10,728
    Points
    131,289
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,166
    Given: 3,832

    Re: Windows 8 can suck my shiny metal...

    I absolutely hate windows 8. I bought a laptop with windows 8 returned it the next day. Found the same computer online with windows 7, and I love it. Microsoft dropped the ball on this one.



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 195,744, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    13,134
    Points
    195,744
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 1,101

    Re: Windows 8 can suck my shiny metal...

    I don't have any problem with mine updating like that. Of course, I have mine set to notify me, rather than just doing itself. And even then, I decide whether I'm going to "restart and update", or simply shut down at that particular moment.

    Might want to check that out--instead of simply blaming the OS.




    "Cyclones on the run!"

    -John Walters


  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 15,392, Level: 37
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    729
    Points
    15,392
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 80

    Re: Windows 8 can suck my shiny metal...

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    I don't have any problem with mine updating like that. Of course, I have mine set to notify me, rather than just doing itself. And even then, I decide whether I'm going to "restart and update", or simply shut down at that particular moment.

    Might want to check that out--instead of simply blaming the OS.
    It's a Microsoft product. Of course it isn't the user's fault, and it's the vendor's fault. I bet if he used a Mac, nothing would break.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 670,154, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    26,999
    Points
    670,154
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,517
    Given: 500

    Re: Windows 8 can suck my shiny metal...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesince78 View Post
    I absolutely hate windows 8. I bought a laptop with windows 8 returned it the next day. Found the same computer online with windows 7, and I love it. Microsoft dropped the ball on this one.
    It's really not that different than 7 aside from the start screen which you don't really have to spend much time on if you don't want.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 195,744, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    13,134
    Points
    195,744
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 1,101

    Re: Windows 8 can suck my shiny metal...

    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    It's really not that different than 7 aside from the start screen which you don't really have to spend much time on if you don't want.
    I just dumped a bunch of app icons on the start screen, and minimized the rest...and yes, just sail on by what remains.




    "Cyclones on the run!"

    -John Walters


  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 27,666, Level: 51
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 984
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    iowa_wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,381
    Points
    27,666
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 30

    Re: Windows 8 can suck my shiny metal...

    The question is, who controls your computer, you or Microsoft?



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 103,985, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Boxerdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Beaverdale, IA
    Posts
    2,948
    Points
    103,985
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 148

    Re: Windows 8 can suck my shiny metal...

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    I don't have any problem with mine updating like that. Of course, I have mine set to notify me, rather than just doing itself. And even then, I decide whether I'm going to "restart and update", or simply shut down at that particular moment.

    Might want to check that out--instead of simply blaming the OS.
    You just made the list.

    You're totally right. An operating system should restart without giving you the option to stop it...or save work. I haven't been on it and should have restarted it earlier but never in my wildest dreams think that it would force restart.

    Windows 8 is absolutely horrible. Maybe it's great for a tablet who knows. But a laptop...good lord I hate it. I like Windows 7. And for the record...I don't recall ever complaining about Windows ME which I had for years...and Vista that I had for years... And whoever said it's not much different than Windows 7????? Have you tried to do anything on 8? Sure you can click on the desktop but to close programs...ok i'm going to stop. I'm just getting more ****** by the second. Can't wait for the "update". I would pay for a "downgrade" to Windows 7 but don't feel like setting up everything again.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 63,021, Level: 77
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Goothrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    3,740
    Points
    63,021
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 330
    Given: 81

    Re: Windows 8 can suck my shiny metal...

    user error


    Rip 'n Shred - Shred 'n Rip

    Check out my ratings site!

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 103,985, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Boxerdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Beaverdale, IA
    Posts
    2,948
    Points
    103,985
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 148

    Re: Windows 8 can suck my shiny metal...

    If I wanted a computer and operating system to do everything for me and force me to do what it wanted...I'd have purchased a mac.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 31,204, Level: 54
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 746
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,829
    Points
    31,204
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 8

    Re: Windows 8 can suck my shiny metal...

    Quote Originally Posted by Boxerdaddy View Post
    You just made the list.

    You're totally right. An operating system should restart without giving you the option to stop it...or save work. I haven't been on it and should have restarted it earlier but never in my wildest dreams think that it would force restart.

    Windows 8 is absolutely horrible. Maybe it's great for a tablet who knows. But a laptop...good lord I hate it. I like Windows 7. And for the record...I don't recall ever complaining about Windows ME which I had for years...and Vista that I had for years... And whoever said it's not much different than Windows 7????? Have you tried to do anything on 8? Sure you can click on the desktop but to close programs...ok i'm going to stop. I'm just getting more ****** by the second. Can't wait for the "update". I would pay for a "downgrade" to Windows 7 but don't feel like setting up everything again.
    Not a fan of Windows 8 either, Classic Shell makes it much more bearable though.


    Last edited by Iastfan112; 05-18-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM