Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Re: Gas Prices

if all families gradually went to 1 hybrid or electric (in town) and 1 gas vehicle (longer jaunts) (as they need to replace vehicles) then we would solve this thing in the next 10 years pretty easily....

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by cloneluke80 View Post
    if all families gradually went to 1 hybrid or electric (in town) and 1 gas vehicle (longer jaunts) (as they need to replace vehicles) then we would solve this thing in the next 10 years pretty easily....
    I don't think that's how it works.

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Pro
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 14

Hey everyone! I just got this e-mail with a really cool idea!!!!! What if we all....that's right, everyone, even people who do not know this forum exists....did not purchase gas for an entire day?! The gas prices would fall through the floor because we have greatly lowered the demand for fuel! It's a fool-proof idea!!!

Please tell two friends and have those two friends tell two friends, and those two friends tell two friends. I bet 97% of you won't repost this because 97% of you don't care, but this could be a real game changer in how our gas prices rise and fall in this country. Who knows, if you repost this, something good might happen to you in the next 15.6 minutes!

#jimladoverload

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Chitowncy View Post
    Thanks for enlightening the conversation. It's been interesting to read your comments throughout this thread.

I, too, understand that fossil fuels are not a long-term solution and things will only get worse (economically and environmentally) if we continue to burn so much of our diminishing supplies of oil.

I hope more people reading this thread will take heart and consider getting more efficient cars and driving less in general (we always forget about conservation).
    This won't effect fuel prices. I don't know why no one gets that. Gas has proven time and time again to be inelastic. If you can walk or ride a bike, that small mileage isn't going to be big enough to affect anything. The people like me who drive 30,000K each year are the ones that matter and I can't do what I do with a bike. Even if I had an incredibly efficient vehicle and decreased my consumption by say 30% on 50% of my miles that's not a big deal. Then you have trucks and things which just need to be done to keep the country going and someone driving 12K a year going from 20 to 30 mpg just doesn't matter. The real tragedy is diesel prices. It makes no sense.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by cloneluke80 View Post
    Oil companies don't care about that. Well, they care but theirs nothing they can do about that so they adjust the other direction. You still have to buy gas to make those things go. Yes, it's less but they aren't going to lower the price to keep people from buying hybrids. Besides, it is way better for them to sell less fuel at higher margin than more fuel at a lesser margin. It does help the consumer but it doesn't affect oil or gas companies.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Starter
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    This won't effect fuel prices. I don't know why no one gets that. Gas has proven time and time again to be inelastic. If you can walk or ride a bike, that small mileage isn't going to be big enough to affect anything. The people like me who drive 30,000K each year are the ones that matter and I can't do what I do with a bike. Even if I had an incredibly efficient vehicle and decreased my consumption by say 30% on 50% of my miles that's not a big deal. Then you have trucks and things which just need to be done to keep the country going and someone driving 12K a year going from 20 to 30 mpg just doesn't matter. The real tragedy is diesel prices. It makes no sense.
    My post didn't really concern fuel prices; it was more a response to Trigger's earlier comments. I was focused on bigger things than merely fuel prices. For example, the long-term economic problems the world will suffer if we can't find a substitute fuel for oil (one that is sustainable, don't give me LNG or some other nonrenewable fossil fuel).

I was advocating for an individual response and hopeful that someone, maybe even just one person, would be affected by this thread and decide to drive a little less. I wasn't saying that driving less would change prices.

All-Star
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 753
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cycfan View Post
    I don't so much care about the actual price, I can afford it. What irritates me is the lame excuses. It ticks me off to watch the news and hear some weak excuse when we all know it's just oil companies being greedy. Set the price at what it's worth and don't screw with it.

GO CYCLONES!!!

You must be an econ major...

a/s/l?

All-Star
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 753
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    Obama.
    I wish we had a president that would just invade a middle eastern country and take their oil. It's pretty simple. Just find a weak middle eastern country with top 1-2 largest oil reserves (preferably one with an evil leader that we could use as a scapegoat). All we have to do then is invade, stick around for 8 years, and borrow a few trillion dollars to pay for the mess. I don't know why Obama hasn't thought of this. He must be dumb.

a/s/l?

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    It would be to your pocketbook if you do the math. And if a million people joined you, it certainly could make a difference.

Let's say you currently have a SUV that gets 20 mpg highway and you switch to a more fuel efficient car that gets 30 mg. At 30,000 miles with gas at $3.95, you would go from spending $5,925 to $3,950. A $2,000 annual savings is nothing to sneeze at.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 756
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    It would be to your pocketbook if you do the math. And if a million people joined you, it certainly could make a difference.

Let's say you currently have a SUV that gets 20 mpg highway and you switch to a more fuel efficient car that gets 30 mg. At 30,000 miles with gas at $3.95, you would go from spending $5,925 to $3,950. A $2,000 annual savings is nothing to sneeze at.
    Unless his SUV is paid for but he has to make payments on the car. That pretty much wipes out your savings.

That's where I'm at these days. Driving an old car, paid for, gets 22 mpg on average. I could go out and get a hybrid or something, but the car payment will offset any savings I get by buying less fuel. Also, I'm going to need a vehicle that will fit 4 kids in car seats. I don't know a lof of inexpensive, fuel efficient vehicles that can fit 4 car seats.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by Chitowncy View Post
    Thanks for enlightening the conversation. It's been interesting to read your comments throughout this thread.

I, too, understand that fossil fuels are not a long-term solution and things will only get worse (economically and environmentally) if we continue to burn so much of our diminishing supplies of oil.

I hope more people reading this thread will take heart and consider getting more efficient cars and driving less in general (we always forget about conservation).
    Thanks, I appreciate that. I mean, how dare these developing countries (India, China... etc.) better their quality of life to the point where gasoline prices rise due to them demanding their fair share of the energy pot? Shame on them, especially if it means the compromise of my entitlement as an American to owning 2 SUVs and a truck. Its really cramping our style over here.

Last edited by Triggermv; 05-17-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,318
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 117

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    Also, I'm going to need a vehicle that will fit 4 kids in car seats. I don't know a lof of inexpensive, fuel efficient vehicles that can fit 4 car seats.
    Holy crap, someone has been a busy bee!

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    Unless his SUV is paid for but he has to make payments on the car. That pretty much wipes out your savings.

That's where I'm at these days. Driving an old car, paid for, gets 22 mpg on average. I could go out and get a hybrid or something, but the car payment will offset any savings I get by buying less fuel. Also, I'm going to need a vehicle that will fit 4 kids in car seats. I don't know a lof of inexpensive, fuel efficient vehicles that can fit 4 car seats.
    Good point. Although at some point you will need a new and you could almost get it paid for just in gas costs you are saving.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 25

Also, I'm going to need a vehicle that will fit 4 kids in car seats. I don't know a lof of inexpensive, fuel efficient vehicles that can fit 4 car seats.[/QUOTE]

Holy cow!!! Now that I've gone to the topic of quality of life, has needing 4 car seats increased your quality of life or decreased it? I'm sure making those kids probably ramped up your quality of life. You'll have to let me know which direction it has gone after the fact :-).

Starter
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,034
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Fuel taxes on each gallon of gasoline help to fund the highway system. If less fuel is consumed, would the highway system will be underfunded, or could those monies possibly be asked for through other means of taxation or tolls?