Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 9

Ford Owners

I am not one but saw this and thought I would share and see if anyone on here had this problem. Hope not, and hopefully it isn't a bigger problem for Ford.

Ford owners sue, saying EcoBoost engine defective | Fox News

A world without yoga pants and Planter's cheese balls, is a world I no longer want to live in.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 14

Re: Ford Owners

I bought an Explorer last year and almost went with the Sport that has EcoBoost. Glad I didn't I guess. Although, my Dad has a 2013 F-150 with EcoBoost and hasn't mentioned any issues except crappy mpg.

Addict
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 560
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 18

Will be interesting to see if anyone is having problems. I don't have numbers in front of me, but I would think 100 cars, out of how many sold since 2009 could just be a standard issue with quality control as opposed to the engine truly being defective. If the engine were defective, I would think it would be more than 100 drivers. So, yeah, it will be interesting to see if more people come out with problems.

It will also be interesting to see how many people attack American car companies because of this as well and how "Toyota or Honda wouldn't have this problem." My wife has a 2009 Highlander. We were driving, lucking not far from home, when her steering column locked up and nothing would change it. We had to have it towed to the dealership, I spoke to a guy I know who works at a Toyota dealership in the Southern Suburbs and before I said what kind of car, he said, "Highlander, right? Yeah, it's a known issue, we get a couple each month." They never issued a recall.

Anyways, I'm just pointing out that sometimes **** happens with new cars, that's why there is a warranty.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 29

I have a 2011 F-150 with the ecoboost. For the most part, I really like it and once it has gotten broken in, gets pretty good mileage for the type of driving I do.

My only issue with it sounds a little like what they are talking about in the lawsuit. Sometimes, when accelerating fairly rapidly, like getting on interstate or turning onto the highway, the engine seems to stall/pause for a second longer than I think it should when the transmission shifts.

Anyone else notice something similar?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,168
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Well that's just great. Looking at getting an F-150

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I am not engine expert by any means but have had a couple turbo cars. Sounds like they may have an issue with the turbo, but like Clonefan94 said I don't know that is a big issue and that is why they have warranty. Also it sounds like this is an issue for the '09 and '10s. They may have fixed for newer models.

A world without yoga pants and Planter's cheese balls, is a world I no longer want to live in.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    Will be interesting to see if anyone is having problems. I don't have numbers in front of me, but I would think 100 cars, out of how many sold since 2009 could just be a standard issue with quality control as opposed to the engine truly being defective. If the engine were defective, I would think it would be more than 100 drivers. So, yeah, it will be interesting to see if more people come out with problems.

It will also be interesting to see how many people attack American car companies because of this as well and how "Toyota or Honda wouldn't have this problem." My wife has a 2009 Highlander. We were driving, lucking not far from home, when her steering column locked up and nothing would change it. We had to have it towed to the dealership, I spoke to a guy I know who works at a Toyota dealership in the Southern Suburbs and before I said what kind of car, he said, "Highlander, right? Yeah, it's a known issue, we get a couple each month." They never issued a recall.

Anyways, I'm just pointing out that sometimes **** happens with new cars, that's why there is a warranty.
    Yeah I also think is certain instances they issue extended warranties on parts that they know could be faulty on very few cars. I had a '06 Mazdaspeed 6 and the turbo went out on it. They replaced as it was still under warranty but then Mazda sent me a letter stating they were extending the warranty on the Turbo as they knew a few people had had issue but it wasn't big enough to issue a recall and have to replace all of them.

I would think 100 out of the tens of thousands of these engines they have sold would have to be considered an anomaly and Ford would just replace it if you have the issue. They aren't recall all those engines for that small of a number.

Starter
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 933
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by boone7247 View Post
    Yeah I also think is certain instances they issue extended warranties on parts that they know could be faulty on very few cars. I had a '06 Mazdaspeed 6 and the turbo went out on it. They replaced as it was still under warranty but then Mazda sent me a letter stating they were extending the warranty on the Turbo as they knew a few people had had issue but it wasn't big enough to issue a recall and have to replace all of them.

I would think 100 out of the tens of thousands of these engines they have sold would have to be considered an anomaly and Ford would just replace it if you have the issue. They aren't recall all those engines for that small of a number.
    This right here. No engine is bulletproof. This just sounds like a couple of disgruntled folks who are friends with a lawyer.

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by isufan View Post
    I have a 2011 F-150 with the ecoboost. For the most part, I really like it and once it has gotten broken in, gets pretty good mileage for the type of driving I do.

My only issue with it sounds a little like what they are talking about in the lawsuit. Sometimes, when accelerating fairly rapidly, like getting on interstate or turning onto the highway, the engine seems to stall/pause for a second longer than I think it should when the transmission shifts.

Anyone else notice something similar?
    I know GM puts "torque management" and some other electronic nannies to protect the vehicle from your terrible driving. Especially for the transmission's sake. I would be surprised if Ford didn't do something similar

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 580
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by cobraclone71 View Post
    This right here. No engine is bulletproof. This just sounds like a couple of disgruntled folks who are friends with a lawyer.
    Lawsuits filed by different groups in Ohio and Louisiana is more than just a few folks with a lawyer friend, and over 100 complaints filed with NHTSA. Do you know what NHTSA is without googling it?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think I had seen something about this issue earlier. I believe the trucks were getting condensation built-up in the intercooler neck and when the throttle was pushed demanding more air, water was sucked in. This caused the knock sensor to throw the truck into panic mode. There are some aftermarket intercoolers out there to fix it, would be surprised if Ford is doing the same.

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    I bought an Explorer last year and almost went with the Sport that has EcoBoost. Glad I didn't I guess. Although, my Dad has a 2013 F-150 with EcoBoost and hasn't mentioned any issues except crappy mpg.
    I purchased a new F150 last year, which I believe was the first year out with the EcoBoost. I stayed away from it thinking there might be kinks, etc. Then I hear about everybody loving the EcoBoost and I was like that's my typical luck. I've heard good and bad since and still don't know which way is the right way.

Starter
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Ford is a well ran organization these days that is putting out some great autos. There will be the occasional hickup with new technology. There is really nothing to see here. Just reporter trying to make a big story.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,377
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I've heard great things about the Ecoboost, I wish my F-150 had it. I'm curious what the message is to dealers.

Starter
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 538
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

There have been a few issues w/ the Ecoboosts (we have 8+ in our fleet), but the most part they are fantastic. Really like them. We had been mostly Chevy, but the F150 w/ the heavy payload package (+max tow) and the Ecoboost is a nice setup for a pickup.

There is a known issue out there that sounds kind of like this, but can't remember the specifics. Something like condensation in the intercooler causes sputtering/lag and they end up replacing the intercooler and the catalytic converter. This happened to one of our trucks, but eventually led to a check engine light which prompted the replacement.