Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 63

Theodore Roosevelt National Park

Has anyone ever been there ? We've been to Badlands in SD but not "Badlands" in ND. Any suggestions where to stay and what to do except exploring the Park ? We're not planning on camping so most likely we'll stay in a hotel and there are only 3 hotels in Medora: AmericInn, Badlands Motel and Rough Riders.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,936
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 14

Re: Theodore Roosevelt National Park

That is an interesting park, although I have only driven through, didn't stay. It is a good park to drive through.

Medora is at the western entrance if I recall, and it has sort of Old West set-up. There isn't much to do otherwise. We just visited on the way back from Yellowstone.

Prospect
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

I personally like the north unit the best. I believe that the park road in the north unit might be getting reconstructed but the first half of it I think is still open. The north unit also maintains a small group of long horn cattle. There is a rock formation in the north unit that look like cannonballs. They are very interesting to look at. Another interesting stop in the north unit is a large 'picnic shelter' like building that the Civilian Conservation Corp built on a promontory overlooking the Little Missouri River.

If you like to hike one trailhead you might miss is on I-94. As you drive west bound there is a rest stop before Medora. You can park there and start hiking. Once you cross the fenceline, you are in the backcountry.

At the south unit, make sure to stop by and take the ranger tour of the wooden cabin. President Roosevelt occupied it when he was living in the area. The south unit also has several wild horses that you might see on the loop drive. You will probably see buffalo at both the north and south units as well as prairie dogs. I have never seen any elk at either the north or south units.

The south unit looks like the South Dakota Badlands except the South unit of Roosevelt has more Juniper and brush covering the slopes.

Hope this helps

Prospect
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

In terms of a place to stay. It is very limited. You will pay more than you think you should for any of the places. The Badlands Inn and the Bunkhouse I believe are bothed owned and operated by the same outfit. The Bunkhouse is the cheapest place but it is several double wide modular units with several small motel rooms in each unit. The Badlands Inn is nicer and has a western look to it. If money is not a problem stay at Americ Inn.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 63

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit View Post
    In terms of a place to stay. It is very limited. You will pay more than you think you should for any of the places. The Badlands Inn and the Bunkhouse I believe are bothed owned and operated by the same outfit. The Bunkhouse is the cheapest place but it is several double wide modular units with several small motel rooms in each unit. The Badlands Inn is nicer and has a western look to it. If money is not a problem stay at Americ Inn.
    Thanks, this is really informational !