Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

Car Buying Advice

Another car buying thread. I'm looking at buying a new car soon and its been 6+ years since I bought my last one. Some good advice from previous threads but from my research, the used car market has substantially increased over the past year. Used cars with 20,000 miles on them are going for 95%+ of the new car value. Normally, I'd never buy new but it seems to make way more sense in today's market.

Currently looking at a new Dodge Charger. I'll likely go with the base SE model unless I can get a great deal on a R/T with the V8 Hemi. Any other type of cars in that range I should be looking at? Ultimately would like to stay under $25k?

Also, any tips on making the dealership experience as painless as possible yet still get a good deal? I hate the back and forth crap with car salesmen. I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee as trade-in and could pay cash if necessary but will probably put a large down payment and finance the rest as rates are so cheap.

Rookie
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

Re: Car Buying Advice

Buy out of state.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 105

Not that there is anything wrong with it but are you locked into Dodge? Do you want something similar in size to the Charger? Not considering an import?

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Not that there is anything wrong with it but are you locked into Dodge? Do you want something similar in size to the Charger? Not considering an import?
    Definitely not locked into Dodge. Just like the look at the feel of the Charger. I also like the Nissan Altima but haven't test driven it yet. After driving several rentals for work in the past 6 months, I definitely want a 6-cyclinder...not a fan of the 4.

Any specific imports I should be looking at?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Definitely not locked into Dodge. Just like the look at the feel of the Charger. I also like the Nissan Altima but haven't test driven it yet. After driving several rentals for work in the past 6 months, I definitely want a 6-cyclinder...not a fan of the 4.

Any specific imports I should be looking at?
    Drive an Altima before you decide, those new ones are pretty nice. Maybe not as fast as a Charger, but way more comfortable.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 182

Definitely try the Altima. I love mine. I've heard rumblings about the Charger being more work to own. Former coworker was dying to own one then sold it less than a year later.

The Accord and 6-cylinder Fusion were very nice as well.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

By looking at Trucar it sounds like you can get at least $3k off of sticker and probably more.

I read a review a while back on the Charger with the 6cyl that had the 8 speed auto and they said it got great gas mileage. The only complaint I remember was that it was slow to downshift. They said something like 1,500 rpm at like 70mph. At the 25k price I assume you're looking at RWD which could be a little challenging in the snow.

You're probably different but I'd rather buy something like this that is pretty loaded and probably cost $35k new then pay the same price for a new stripped model. This one has nav and everything.

2012 Dodge Charger SXT, $27,850 - Cars.com

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

2013 Honda Accord and Nissan Altima are going to be more reliable and better resale then the Dodge. The only big downside is that you're going to see a mirror of your car every 15 feet. The new Ford Fusion is the best looking of the bunch but I would wait a year to buy one.

I haven't driven a Charger but I'm assuming you're going to have more room and a smoother ride (less sporty).

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 25

Here are several pieces of advice I've picked up:
    1) Buy a new car
    2) Never buy new, used is the way to go
    3) Pay cash, never finance
    4) Finanace at 0% over 84 months
    5) Buy your car out of state
    6) Buying out of state can result in double taxation depending on the state
    7) ???
    8) Profit

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    Definitely try the Altima. I love mine. I've heard rumblings about the Charger being more work to own. Former coworker was dying to own one then sold it less than a year later.

The Accord and 6-cylinder Fusion were very nice as well.
    Any more info on why he/she sold the Charger? Most things I've read said people really like theirs.

By looking at Trucar it sounds like you can get at least $3k off of sticker and probably more.

I read a review a while back on the Charger with the 6cyl that had the 8 speed auto and they said it got great gas mileage. The only complaint I remember was that it was slow to downshift. They said something like 1,500 rpm at like 70mph. At the 25k price I assume you're looking at RWD which could be a little challenging in the snow.

You're probably different but I'd rather buy something like this that is pretty loaded and probably cost $35k new then pay the same price for a new stripped model. This one has nav and everything.

2012 Dodge Charger SXT, $27,850 - Cars.com
    Thanks for the info.
    1) I'm actually moving to Oklahoma later this year so snow/winter driving will be much less of an issue.
    2) Seems like the SXT models are quite a bit more expensive without adding a ton of features. If I upgraded and decided to pay more, it would be to the R/T.
    3) The 2012 SXT you linked has 12,000+ miles. You can get a similar brand new SXT nicely loaded for $27,850. Plus its AWD instead of the RWD one in your link. 2013 Dodge Charger SXT, $27,477 - Cars.com

I just can't believe how expensive used ones are...

Addict
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 182

Any more info on why he/she sold the Charger? Most things I've read said people really like theirs.

Thanks for the info.
    1) I'm actually moving to Oklahoma later this year so snow/winter driving will be much less of an issue.
    2) Seems like the SXT models are quite a bit more expensive without adding a ton of features. If I upgraded and decided to pay more, it would be to the R/T.
    3) The 2012 SXT you linked has 12,000+ miles. You can get a similar brand new SXT nicely loaded for $27,850. Plus its AWD instead of the RWD one in your link. 2013 Dodge Charger SXT, $27,477 - Cars.com

no, I just know she really wanted one but didn't keep it very long (she left the company shortly before, so I just saw on fb that she was selling the car)

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CtownCyclone View Post
    Here are several pieces of advice I've picked up:
    1) Buy a new car
    2) Never buy new, used is the way to go
    3) Pay cash, never finance
    5) Buy your car out of state
    6) Buying out of state can result in double taxation depending on the state
    7) ???
    8) Profit
    Let me help you with that

1) Buy a new car-If you keep cars for a long time and the model of the car you're buying has a high resale value, it may make sense to buy new

2) Never buy new, used is the way to go-It's almost always cheaper to buy used in the long run.

3) Pay cash, never finance-

I'd lump these two together. In an ideal world, you wouldn't have a car loan.
    Don't put yourself in a bad position If you were to lose your job could you pay this loan off to get rid of the monthly payment? At the least I would make sure to have a 6 month emergency fund set-up before i even thought about getting a car loan.

I look at car loans a different way. I did everything I could to not have a car loan. I now take a certain amount out of my check each week that I call the "car fund". I put this in employee stock that I get a 15% discount on. I then use that money to buy vehicles with cash. The "car fund" is also somewhat of an emergency fund in case something bad happened. I've used this method on the last 3 vehicles I've purchased and it feels great to know you're free and clear. Then start saving for the next one.

5) Buy your car out of state-I have sometimes received a better deal by going out of state. Not always the case.

6) Buying out of state can result in double taxation depending on the state-Not in Nebraska, Missouri, or Kansas.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info.

If it's new why does it say "AWD. Oh yeah! Yeah baby! You don't have to worry about depreciation on this beautiful 2013 Dodge Charger! The guy before you got it all!"

I don;t know if this is important but no nav and possibly cloth?

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If it's new why does it say "AWD. Oh yeah! Yeah baby! You don't have to worry about depreciation on this beautiful 2013 Dodge Charger! The guy before you got it all!"

I don;t know if this is important but no nav and possibly cloth?
    Ha, saw that. But most of Dewey's descriptions say that...pretty big fail on their part. Point taken on the nav and cloth...but still is AWD vs. RWD.

Point being that you don't save much buying used for the Charger. I'd rather buy new and drive it for an extra year (15k miles)...at about the same price or a small amount more.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 12

Participated in vehicle-purchasing thread earlier in the year (was deciding on SUV - final 2 were Durango & Mazda CX9 - got the Mazda) - someone said a good goal is to get to is 75% of sticker of just below on brand new. Was able to get very close to that but had year-end rebates, etc to assist in doing so. My wife was shocked at my negotiating skills (actually shocked myself, too. think with age I am way more direct, etc).

Best things I think are to prepare yourself with quotes from good sources on the Internet. NADA values good 1st place to start, as most dealerships will try to use their values on the financial side. But having the others too (KBB, Edmunds, etc) is also good research and can support your side of negotiations/offers you make.

Then, price same vehicle at other dealerships & let each one know that you are. Let the competition work in your favor. More difficult to do in Iowa but it can be done. With the Mazda I was dealing with dealers in Omaha/Council Bluffs, Sioux City, & Des Moines.

Last car we had was an Accord and I really, really liked it (wife absolutely loved it). The Chargers look very cool, but I have not driven one or had a ride in one, so I cannot make any comparisons personally. Have seen some pretty cool looking cars recently. The Mazda dealer we bought our CX9 from had a prototype 6 inside that looked awesome. Actually think it was a 2014, but no one was able to drive it, not even the people working at the dealership. Think they had to wait until this month or next before they could.

Beings you are looking at new or maybe slightly used, there will be a good deal to choose from. If you were looking out 5 years or older, the pickings get slim. At least that's the way it was last year when I bought my kid's vehicle.

Good luck

“I heard that Snooki, Pauly D and The Situation will each make $5 million for this season’s ‘Jersey Shore.’ It just goes to show that if you put your mind to something and work hard, you’re wasting your time.” -- Jimmy Fallon