Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

Another Wedding Thread

I know there have been a couple wedding threads on here but everyone's situation in different. Plus it is the off season so another random thread won't kill anyone.

I am trying to plan a fall ceremony/wedding in the Des Moines/Ames area. The hard part is that I live in Texas and it is hard for me to get off work and visit places. I will though be in Ames for graduation and was able to schedule a few appointments at various ames locations. The list includes Scheman Building, Reiman Gardens, Alumni Hall, possibly Hickory Park Hall and Prairie Moon winery. Still need to hit up Des Moines to look at places.

I was wonder if CF had any suggestions for places I should check out. I am looking right now to keep it around 200 guests. I want to have a nice wedding for a good price. (who doesn't, right?) It would be nice to find a place that is lenient on catering and bar service. Has anyone else had experience with planning a wedding states away? Seems like it might be a pain in the butt.

And before anyone freaks out. There is not a football game home or away that weekend. There is a game Thursday which will make for a good weekend. A little pre wedding tailgating.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 236

Re: Another Wedding Thread

don't do it...kidding. Good luck! I have no good advice for you though. Went to a wedding at the winery...it was a lot of fun. Probably dependent on the weather, though.

Starter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 380
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

I am also open to paying a fanatic to plan my wedding.

Legend
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 236

Quote Originally Posted by packattack425 View Post
    Are you getting married to somebody? Why don't you let them plan it?

Prospect
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

We got married at the Botanical Center in Des Moines. Bought my dress on Ebay (it was new, just a discontinue designer "model"). Saved nearly everything on flowers...we just had the bouquets and small table arrangements to buy....the photos were gorgeous because the ceremony and photography were in the dome with the tropical flowers, waterfalls, etc. Had the reception there too; Marriott provided beer & drinks (we had an open bar for awhile, then just free beer). We hired a DJ, and a friend catered (but they have several caterers you can use). We also rented our own linens to save money, but the caterer will provide those if you want. Spent $10,000 total for around 175 guests...but we saved a LOT on food by having our friend provide the buffet.

They were great to work with at the time (it's been 10+ years...crazy!). At the time, I was traveling 20+ States for my job...so even though I lived here...I wasn't here. They had great event coordinators who handled many of the details. They have wedding info to download on their website.

Good luck; and glad to hear you are not getting married on a football weekend...LOL!

Pro
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 9

Getting married in DSM Labor Day weekend. Reception is at Zart 1312 downtown. It is a really cool place. I know what you are going through as my fiance and I are in AZ. I would say look there, but chances are they don't have anything open. Good Luck!

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 608

Our reception was in Hickory Hall here in Ames, because we had a really large group and it was sort of an informal wedding.

We looked at and LOVED the Octagon's ballroom, though. If we had been able to line it up for the weekend we liked, we would have gone there. Here's the link: Parties and Rentals - Octagon Center for the Arts

I also really, really liked Reiman Gardens, it was just a little more formal than we needed/wanted. We had some friends who really liked a place that was called "The Crossroads" (I think??) at the corner of 30 and 35. We also looked very closely at the Union, but the ballroom was under construction during our wedding.

In Des Moines, I'd really, really recommend the Scottish Rite - beautiful, stately, spacious. We have a friend who manages it, let me know if you want any of his info.

I got my dress in Boone at the bridal store, but I wouldn't really recommend them, they were pretty big jerks about bridesmaid dresses. There's a new place in Ames, I haven't heard anything about it. I've always heard fantastic things about the store in Perry, but never made it that far away.

Food would all depend on where you're going, and what sort of feel you want (formal, informal, etc.). Some places (like the Union and Hickory Hall) require you to get food through them, other places let you go elsewhere.

Our ceremony itself was at a park here in Ames (Moore Memorial Park). It was wicked cheap, and there's a beautiful little lake there. We also liked a few of the churches, but were going for a more informal feel: City of Ames : Park System

There's also a few wineries down south of Ames that could work for a ceremony and reception.

Sorry, this is all sort of scattered. I love planning, please let me know if you need any help or more information. I had asked my husband if he wanted to see if we could get married on the practice fb field, but he thought that might be a bit over the top.

Last edited by Angie; 05-07-2013 at 07:33 AM.
    M 7/09

Speechless
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 523
    Given: 503

OK. This is where the thread takes a turn.............

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 608

Quote Originally Posted by sweetiecy View Post
    We got married at the Botanical Center in Des Moines. Bought my dress on Ebay (it was new, just a discontinue designer "model"). Saved nearly everything on flowers...we just had the bouquets and small table arrangements to buy....the photos were gorgeous because the ceremony and photography were in the dome with the tropical flowers, waterfalls, etc. Had the reception there too; Marriott provided beer & drinks (we had an open bar for awhile, then just free beer). We hired a DJ, and a friend catered (but they have several caterers you can use). We also rented our own linens to save money, but the caterer will provide those if you want. Spent $10,000 total for around 175 guests...but we saved a LOT on food by having our friend provide the buffet.

They were great to work with at the time (it's been 10+ years...crazy!). At the time, I was traveling 20+ States for my job...so even though I lived here...I wasn't here. They had great event coordinators who handled many of the details. They have wedding info to download on their website.

Good luck; and glad to hear you are not getting married on a football weekend...LOL!
    We went to a wedding at the Botanical Center that was very beautiful. I also went to one at the Iowa Arboretum, which is a little outside of Boone, that was very pretty.

M 7/09

Rookie
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 12

I went to a reception in the Iowa Historical Building. It was a nice big open space, plus it was unique having some historical pieces in the same room (ie a mammoth).

The reception was supposed to be up on the rooftop, but it was raining so we were inside. I think that would have been really cool with the DM skyline and the capital all right there.

You can see some pictures of both inside and out here:
    http://www.culturalaffairs.org/facil...nformation.htm

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by DSMCy View Post
    I went to a reception in the Iowa Historical Building. It was a nice big open space, plus it was unique having some historical pieces in the same room (ie a mammoth).

The reception was supposed to be up on the rooftop, but it was raining so we were inside. I think that would have been really cool with the DM skyline and the capital all right there.

You can see some pictures of both inside and out here:
    http://www.culturalaffairs.org/facil...nformation.htm
    We really, really liked the place but ultimately didn't want to deal with Iowa weather (got married in July 2011). Plus they make you use Baratta's for catering which wasn't cheap. It was our second choice. We ended up at Jasper Winery along George Flagg Parkway and LOVED it. We had 175 guests (which did make it a little crowded but we used a tent outside for the dinner). They were great to work with.

We also had Hickory Park cater which saved us a ton of money. They were 50-60% of the price of almost everyone else. I'd highly recommend them.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 16

We looked at this place as it was really cheap to rent and you can bring in caterers of your choice:
    Johnston, IA - Official Website
    It was booked by the city already but it would have been a great spot.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 1

How do you feel about TBell catering and holding the reception on Willow Platt?

Keepers of the Faith -- Member

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 729
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 422

In Ames, I have been to receptions at the Alumni building, Prairie Moon Winery, and Knapp Storms commons. Alumni building was pretty cool, and they used catering, so you must not have to use ISU food there. Prairie Moon wedding was outside so taking your chances on weather with that.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 355

We used Hickory Hall for our reception and it was great!! The one thing I really liked was that if you went over a certain cost for food and drinks then they waived the rent. So we just made sure we went over that amount and then I had Hickory Park to eat for the next 3 months!