Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

Workouts & Protein

So after a few years off of weight lifting, not enough cardio, and my early 30s I've packed on 15-20 lbs of bad weight. So now I'm looking to lose around 15 lbs of fat and also want to increase muscle mass. I found a really good workout that combines strength training and cardio so I think I'm set there (unless trainers or the experienced workout gurus out there have recommendations). My question concerns protein shakes...a lot of opinions and information/misinformation out there. Do I supplement my diet with them after a workout? Obviously if I want to lose weight, I need calorie deficits. But protein is proven to help build muscle mass. Or do I spend the first month or so targeting weight loss and then possibly add more protein at a later date? Or do I stay away from them altogether? I've read several different opinions.

Some past threads on protein and workouts but nothing that addresses this. Any advice?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 60

Re: Workouts & Protein

Protein shakes are to help speed up recovery and build more muscle mass.
    Is your main goal to build muscle mass or to lose weight? How serious are you when it comes to building muscle mass or losing weight?
    Here's what it might come down to, if you are on a tight budget then don't spend money on protein shakes/powder.
    If finances aren't a problem, then give it a try.

That being said, adding a protein shake won't make or break your fitness/performance goals. The good stuff happens during the actual workouts and how good your diet is.

I would recommend a protein shake if you don't have enough time after your workout to get a meal in. If you workout PRE dinner/lunch/breakfast, then a protein shake may not be essential to you. In fact, it may be worse for you, especially if you're too full to complete an actual meal with the better nutrients.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

All-Star
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 415
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 4

Inb4 chocolate milk is mentioned..

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    Protein shakes are to help speed up recovery and build more muscle mass.
    Is your main goal to build muscle mass or to lose weight? How serious are you when it comes to building muscle mass or losing weight?
    Here's what it might come down to, if you are on a tight budget then don't spend money on protein shakes/powder.
    If finances aren't a problem, then give it a try.

That being said, adding a protein shake won't make or break your fitness/performance goals. The good stuff happens during the actual workouts and how good your diet is.

I would recommend a protein shake if you don't have enough time after your workout to get a meal in. If you workout PRE dinner/lunch/breakfast, then a protein shake may not be essential to you. In fact, it may be worse for you, especially if you're too full to complete an actual meal with the better nutrients.
    Primary goal is to build muscle mass but need to get rid of the spare tire I've built over the past few years too. Also, I workout around 4:00, get done around 5 and typically eat dinner around 6:30.

Rookie
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 2

IMO the more protein the better. There's been studies done that says if you're trying to lose weight you should have a gram of protein for every pound that you weigh. So a 200 lb man should have 200 g of protein. That's really, really hard to do if you don't take supplements.

I've gotten really into working out again after taking about a year off when I started college. I put 20 pounds on my freshman year, and have lost 18 of it since last November. I honestly don't even eat that well, but I make sure I get tons of lean protein. I usually take a shake for breakfast and then one post-workout.

It's a common misconception that protein will make you "bulk up", if you eat less than you burn you'll still lose weight. The key is if you eat a lot of protein you will maintain more of your muscle mass and therefore your weight loss will look even more substantial.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Primary goal is to build muscle mass but need to get rid of the spare tire I've built over the past few years too. Also, I workout around 4:00, get done around 5 and typically eat dinner around 6:30.
    Based on that information right there, I'd recommend drinking a whey protein shake immediately post workout. It will absorb very quickly and you'll be hungry again by dinner time. 5-6:30 is quite a while between workout and meal, especially if your main goal is to build muscle mass. The 30-60 mins post workout is a very vital time when it comes to refueling and rebuilding the body.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 337
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

You should try to eat dinner, or any meal, within an hour after your workout is completed. This is called the "Golden Hour" an it is when your muscles will absorb the most nutrients that you put into your body, thus building more muscle.

Twitter: @HBforTHREE

Dont worry about the horse being blind-- Just load the wagon.

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

So after a few years off of weight lifting, not enough cardio, and my early 30s I've packed on 15-20 lbs of bad weight. So now I'm looking to lose around 15 lbs of fat and also want to increase muscle mass. I found a really good workout that combines strength training and cardio so I think I'm set there (unless trainers or the experienced workout gurus out there have recommendations). My question concerns protein shakes...a lot of opinions and information/misinformation out there. Do I supplement my diet with them after a workout? Obviously if I want to lose weight, I need calorie deficits. But protein is proven to help build muscle mass. Or do I spend the first month or so targeting weight loss and then possibly add more protein at a later date? Or do I stay away from them altogether? I've read several different opinions.

Some past threads on protein and workouts but nothing that addresses this. Any advice?

No and yes. Unless you are in it to pack on the muscle big time......change your intake of protein through your diet before even considering supplements. It's cheaper and healthier. Add more lean chicken, fish, beef, eggs, dairy, whole grains i.e. flours. Some of the most complete protein outside of an egg is mixing flours to make breads, pancakes etc. Mix whole wheat flours with flours like wild and brown rice, Amaranth, Quinua, triticale, millet, spelt etc. Bob's Old Mill makes all those products and you can purchase them at almost any Hy-Vee or Dahls in the health food department. Stop drinking soft drinks(pepsi, coke etc.) the so called hydrating drinks(gatorade etc.) and alchohol. I know, but just by not drinking those items you will notice a weight loss without doing a thing. But back to the protein thing, your diet can give you all you need if you let it. Unless you are on the stage competing in a flexing contest there is really no need for supplements before or after a workout.

Rookie
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

I agree with everything said, and I'm just looking to add my $.02. I am far from an expert so do not take anything I say as the definitive word.

Having said that, in my experience, it is possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. When I have done this, I did not use protein shakes, but the research I have done says it is possible like everyone else has been saying. It sucks and it's hard to do, but the main thing you have to do to lose fat is to eat well. I'm sure you know this, but that means getting some vegetbales everyday, severly limiting your sugar, and not getting out of control with carbs. Easier said than done of course, but it really is the main way to lose fat in my experience.

Also, if you are losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time, losing weight can actually be kind of hard. The problem is that you can lose say 10 pounds of fat and gain 10 pounds of muscle, but your weight will not change. However if you stay with a good nutrition and workout plan, the weight will eventually come off. Just know that if you are gaining strength but not gaining weight, then you are losing fat which is what you want.

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 946
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 22

If you can, workout in the morning, followed by whey protein shake. Small portions of the items listed a couple of posts above (i.e. fish, chicken, etc). Don't forget greens (i.e. spinach salads). Also as mentioned above, trash pop, gatorade etc and drink a lot of water throughout the day. Casein protein before you go to bed. Make sure to vary your workout routine.

Repeat.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by enisthemenace View Post
    If you can, workout in the morning, followed by whey protein shake. Small portions of the items listed a couple of posts above (i.e. fish, chicken, etc). Don't forget greens (i.e. spinach salads). Also as mentioned above, trash pop, gatorade etc and drink a lot of water throughout the day. Casein protein before you go to bed. Make sure to vary your workout routine.

Repeat.
    Workout timing is entirely subjective.

Rookie
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

This. The timing of your workout is completely irrelevant as long as you're eating the right stuff and going hard in the gym.

On the subject of going hard in the gym, I would suggest a pre-workout such as C4 from Cellucor. I know they're not for everybody, but I feel it just insanely boosts my performance in the gym, especially during leg days.

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 946
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 22

I'm not going to argue, because I don't entirely disagree. I mentioned "morning" because another key to success is sleep. I've always found it very difficult to sleep after a hard workout. Working out in the morning allows my body to cool down throughout the day, making it easier to hit the hay, and get 7-8 hours.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by enisthemenace View Post
    I'm not going to argue, because I don't entirely disagree. I mentioned "morning" because another key to success is sleep. I've always found it very difficult to sleep after a hard workout. Working out in the morning allows my body to cool down throughout the day, making it easier to hit the hay, and get 7-8 hours.
    The bolded parts are why I said it's subjective.
    For me, I'm not a morning person and my workouts would suck in the AM. I would be sleep walking through my workout. I also don't have any problem with sleep no matter what time I workout.
    What it comes down to is what time of the day do you feel like you can kick the **** out of some iron and bust *** in the gym with as much energy as possible, along with a time that can become a habit and are less likely to skip workouts.

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Good advice here. Much of it aligns with what I've been reading. I assume a whey protein shake would only be appropriate after a gym day and not a cardio day, correct?

Any recommendations for the whey protein?