Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 14

Re: Tablet Buyers Guide

What do you want to do with it? I switched last year from a 3rd gen iPad (upgraded from the 1st gen) to a Surface, and haven't looked back. Not a perfect product, but I love it a ton. Having MS office on it, and having Office 2013 on my desktop is awesome. All of my documents sync automatically between the two.

Apps aren't quite there, but have improved significantly since I purchased it in November. Having Flash and a mouse to use when needed is awesome as well. The ability to multitask is nice, such as having Netflix open and having another app open at the same time.

That said, if you want just casual usage and iPad might be the better product. Very refined with a ton of apps. For android, I'd give the $200 Nexus 7 a look too, great small tablet regardless of the price.

Addict
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,205
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

I love the Nexus tablets. My wife has an ipad which works well for facebook and surfing, but I've found better office apps on the nexus than the ipad. So it really depends on what you want it to do. When comparing tablets you do need to compare equivalently priced products. A $200 android isn't going to compete quality wise to the $500 ipad, but the high end androids will.

BTW, If you want to watch movies on it then the ipad is the way to go as android doesn't support the digital copies of movies. There are less than legal ways around that, but it isn't the best solution.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 37

Nexus 10 is pretty awesome

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by MaccloNe View Post
    iPad for sure. Using mine to comment here:)
    Shocking recommendation coming from Macclone.

If you already have Apple products I'd stick with them. If you currently have Android phones, consider Android tablet. Mixing between iTunes, Google Play, drive, picassa, etc... (and/or Amazon app store and cloud services) can be a pain.

Never seen or know anyone that owns a windows tablet which might be saying something.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    I love the Nexus tablets. My wife has an ipad which works well for facebook and surfing, but I've found better office apps on the nexus than the ipad. So it really depends on what you want it to do. When comparing tablets you do need to compare equivalently priced products. A $200 android isn't going to compete quality wise to the $500 ipad, but the high end androids will.

BTW, If you want to watch movies on it then the ipad is the way to go as android doesn't support the digital copies of movies. There are less than legal ways around that, but it isn't the best solution.
    Explain that movie comment please.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I have the transformer. The only thing I wish it had was a USB port. Other than that it works great.

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,476
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    What do you want it to do?

ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T Tablet PC 10.1-Inch TF700T-B1-GR - Newegg.com I think the Asus transformer is a really good value for it capabilities. It has a keyboard dock that is optional too.

Nexus 10 - Google The Nexus 10 is a really good value as well.
    My father-in-law just got an ASUS bought for him, but he is not very tech savvy. Have you used this product?

I am in the market for a tablet also, so appreciate the discussion. Family already has MacBook, iPad and I have an iPhone. Personnally, I am sick of iTunes and the iPad not having a USB port, so I am committed to not further increasing my servitude to these overrated products.

Prospect
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 420
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post

You are absolutely wrong with regards to digital copies and android. Most digital copies are available now through UltaViolet as well as iTunes and there are apps for android (as well as apple products) that allow you to watch UV movies. One such app is Flixster. You just have to download the Flixster app and then link it to your ultraviolet account. You can then either stream the movie or (in most cases) download it to watch later if you are going to be somewhere that a network connection isn't going to be available. We have an iPad, two kindle fires and two android smartphones in our family and all of them are able to share one Flixster/UltraViolet account.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    Shocking recommendation coming from Macclone.

If you already have Apple products I'd stick with them. If you currently have Android phones, consider Android tablet. Mixing between iTunes, Google Play, drive, picassa, etc... (and/or Amazon app store and cloud services) can be a pain.

Never seen or know anyone that owns a windows tablet which might be saying something.
    You can do all your music through Amazon on an iPad. You can get Chrome on an iPad. The only real difference is two app stores which is fine because I have found that I will use the iPad for anything meaningful over using my phone and if it's not meaningful (games) then you can get it on both anyway.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 125

I have a Nexus7 and an Ipad3. At home I always go to the Ipad just because of the size. When traveling I prefer the Nexus 7 because of size. If I had to pick one I'd probably go with the Nexus10 but can't really complain about the Ipad besides no flash or usb.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 8

For those complaining about a lack of USB port, what does it provide that you're missing? File transfer?

Walk On
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

i love my nexus 10. I am a teacher so i mainly use it for internet, grading, and having websites up when i am walking around the classroom. use it a lot to play movies through our projectors etc

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 125

Quote Originally Posted by Bader View Post
    For those complaining about a lack of USB port, what does it provide that you're missing? File transfer?
    The big one for me is when I travel I like to be able to transfer pics from my camera. A usb makes it real easy. The Ipad does have some kind of add on that will work but it's not as smooth. Plus it's just Apple being cocky and stupid by leaving it out.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    The big one for me is when I travel I like to be able to transfer pics from my camera. A usb makes it real easy. The Ipad does have some kind of add on that will work but it's not as smooth. Plus it's just Apple being cocky and stupid by leaving it out.
    Yea pictures is what came to mind for me, that and not having to keep all the different friggin cables for charging. Lack of Flash (dead technology) doesn't bother me, but why they didn't just change the dock connector to micro USB is 100% Steve Jobs legacy arrogance.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 21

I've got a cheap ($150 for 10") Chinese tablet based on the AllWinner A10 chipset (actually I got it for my wife). If you are in to customizing Android and have some tech-savy, these things are great, as many of them come with root enabled. But beware, as another poster pointed out, most of the vendors of these generic tables provide no useful tech support or updates, so you are on your own. And in the case of the vendor of my tablet, AGPTek, they put out an updated ROM for my model that actually crashed the tablet.

After the vendor ROM fiasco, I've now got CyanogenMod JB 4.1.1 running on it, and it works flawlessly. Prior to the CM ROM, there were some bugs with the original Android ICS 4.0.2 ROM on the tablet. Also the CM ROM allows such things as overclocking to get a little more performance out of the tablet.

From what I've read in various forums, tablets of all brands seem to work better with Android 4.1.x, so if you are going the Android route, it would probably be good to make sure the tablet has Android 4.1 or later.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 05-09-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy