Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

Office Pranks

Another thread (about changing things in the Microsoft Word dictionary for a co-worker) got me thinking about Office Pranks. Plus I watch "The Office" regularly. And I want to know what the best office pranks people have ever seen/done. Preferably pranks that are acceptable at work and wouldn't get anyone in trouble.

Starter
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Office Pranks

I think the best prank I've seen on The Office is when Jim put nickels in Dwight's phone. Gradually, Dwight got used to the weight of his phone. Then Jim took all the nickels out one day and Dwight smacked himself in the face with his phone. If someone could pull that off in real life, that would be amazing.

TRUE & VALIANT

Addict
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

I don't work in an office, but I loved the Office episode in the third season where Jim and Pam got Dwight to go up on top of the roof to wait for a CIA helicopter, and then had the "CIA" tell him to destroy his phone because he'd been "compromised."

Go Sssssssssyclones!

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 622
    Given: 2,525

A big favorite around our office (which is very similar to "The Office" in a lot of ways!) is to mess with people's computers (since we're a software company). A favorite is to take a screen shot of someone's desktop, remove all of their icons (put them in a folder or something), an then make that screen shot their background. Usually takes people a while to figure out what's going on.

M 7/09

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 324

The one prank that was so well done that it's actually become famous here was one day one guy was getting a little mouthy. That guy went on travel, and several people proceeded to wrap everything on, in, and at the desk, including the desk, in aluminum foil. I mean everything. Keyboard, monitors, books, speakers, phone, all the personal items - everything. I wish I still had the pic because it was incredible.

The stunt my dad pulled one time was on a lady that said she wanted to quit smoking (but hadn't gotten around to it yet). My dad got a hold of her pack of cigarettes and shoved a match up into one of them. She went out one day to have a smoke, and halfway thru the cigarette it flamed up on her. Dad said she returned back to the office white as a ghost.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

We've taken the phone apart and put tape over the receiver and mouthpiece. The guy would complain that there was something wrong with his phone. He'd turn the volume WAY up so hear. After he left for the night we'd take the tape off. When he came in the next day he'd answer the phone and the volume was still all the way up. Scared the crap out of him.

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

A friend of mine put hand lotion on the receiver of a coworker's phone. She walked around with lotion on her face and in her hair for about an hour.

M 7/09

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 1

We once staged a very pregnant coworker's labor, complete with her water breaking (water balloon) and sent a gullible coworker out to "meet the ambulance". We all just sat inside and laughed until we felt bad and went and got her.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The compnay I used to work for had an old computer system. So, when you IM'd someone your name wouldn't show up on their screen. It would be a little box with your user number. If you didn't know what a person's number was then you didn't know who sent it.

The guy that sat next to me was a little slow on the computer. Every once in awhile I'd IM him saying that a virus was detected in him computer and he would need to shut everything down and reboot. He did this until he finally asked another guy about it and he told him that I was messing with him.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

These are great!

The only one's I've done so far are putting dark tape over the mouse sensor so people couldn't move their cursor around... and then duct tapping somebody's mouse to their mouse pad.

I wish we had a guy who hunts and pecks when typing so we could change they keys on the keyboard... but everyone here can type pretty well.

I'm going to have to try some of the ones that have been posted here though! I like em!

Starter
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 380
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

From the show "The Office", I am a fan of the one where Jim has Dwight's stuff put into the vending machine. Then he loans Dwight a sack full of nickels to get it all back.

Last edited by timc243; 11-30-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 613
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dbronco7sc View Post
    These are great!

The only one's I've done so far are putting dark tape over the mouse sensor so people couldn't move their cursor around... and then duct tapping somebody's mouse to their mouse pad.

I wish we had a guy who hunts and pecks when typing so we could change they keys on the keyboard... but everyone here can type pretty well.

I'm going to have to try some of the ones that have been posted here though! I like em!
    If they have an older mouse....Just remove the ball.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 995
    Given: 83

Once upon a time, at the office where I work, someone brought in a huge box of beef jerky. (the individually wrapped, slim jim types, about 4 inches long by 1 inch wide) Anyway, I was travelling for work at the time, and while I was away, one of my beloved co-workers (who happens to be a buddy of mine) proceeded to hide about 75 of these things in my workspace. They were everywhere. I found what I thought were all of them, and we had a good laugh, but the humor didn't stop there. Over the course of the next 2 years, I continued to find the ones that I missed the first time around. And of course the culprit sat right next to me and would howl with laughter every time I found a new one, claiming "Wow, I forgot I put that one, there." Recently, I got a promotion, and had to move all my stuff, and lo and behold, I found no less than 10 more pieces hidden away.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdewaard View Post
    Once upon a time, at the office where I work, someone brought in a huge box of beef jerky. (the individually wrapped, slim jim types, about 4 inches long by 1 inch wide) Anyway, I was travelling for work at the time, and while I was away, one of my beloved co-workers (who happens to be a buddy of mine) proceeded to hide about 75 of these things in my workspace. They were everywhere. I found what I thought were all of them, and we had a good laugh, but the humor didn't stop there. Over the course of the next 2 years, I continued to find the ones that I missed the first time around. And of course the culprit sat right next to me and would howl with laughter every time I found a new one, claiming "Wow, I forgot I put that one, there." Recently, I got a promotion, and had to move all my stuff, and lo and behold, I found no less than 10 more pieces hidden away.
    If you cleaned your desk more often, that wouldn't be a problem...

In terms of just general timekillers, we also have a group of coworkers who were playing Oregon Trail a lot. They decided to see if it was Y2K compliant, so they went at a grueling pace, camped a lot, and waited out the year 1900. (Side note - they would yell "Happy New Year!" every time the year changed.)

For those interested... no, it's not Y2K compliant. Unless "19100" is a year.

M 7/09

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    If you cleaned your desk more often, that wouldn't be a problem...

In terms of just general timekillers, we also have a group of coworkers who were playing Oregon Trail a lot. They decided to see if it was Y2K compliant, so they went at a grueling pace, camped a lot, and waited out the year 1900. (Side note - they would yell "Happy New Year!" every time the year changed.)

For those interested... no, it's not Y2K compliant. Unless "19100" is a year.
    Best place for timekillers is:

Play Games, Free Online Games at AddictingGames