Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 10

Re: Tebow and the Beef

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    What it boils down to is that for the last few years, Tim Tebow "haters" and supporters have been arguing about whether or not he's a good NFL qb. Now that he's washing out, his supporters are throwing excuses around, saying that he wasn't given a proper chance, or that the media was out to get him, or any number of other theories as to why he's failing to stick in the league, and the "haters" are needling him on the way out. It's nothing more than that. Not a sign of the times. Not a travesty of justice. Just two groups of people arguing about whether a pro football player is any good.... (he's not)
    I think there's a little more to it than that. There are certainly pleny of people taking great pleasure in seeing Tebow fail. I don't know what compels people to take joy in someone else's misfortunes. But you're right about one thing, that's certainly not new in society.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 326
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Name 1 that has the same college accolades of Tim Tebow. He's arguably the most successful QB in college history
    It's all relative.

Mark Ingram has a Heisman and a National Championship under his belt. Does he have a proportionate amount of exposure?

Colt McCoy entered the pros as the winningest quarterback in NCAA history. Nothing even approaching half the hype of Tim.

It's not that Tebow didn't deserve praise for his collegiate achievements, it's that he benefited from a lot of other exposure for non football activities as well.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

It's all relative.

Mark Ingram has a Heisman and a National Championship under his belt. Does he have a proportionate amount of exposure?

Colt McCoy entered the pros as the winningest quarterback in NCAA history. Nothing even approaching half the hype of Tim.

It's not that Tebow didn't deserve praise for his collegiate achievements, it's that he benefited from a lot of other exposure for non football activities as well.
    Ingram was a running back. They don't get the same exposure.

Colt McCoy won nothing in his career.

Tim Tebow isn't Anna Kournakova who is a famous athlete for never winning. Or Danica Patrick. He's actually produced at the highest level and done it better than anybody in history while in college

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

No disrespect but that's a very sad stance. Tebow isn't trying to prove how devout he is. He's been that way since middle school. He's not the only player either to acknowledge god after a big play. Thousands do it every year by pointing to the sky, kissing their cross, etc. there is no way that you can question his motives if you don't know him

for some reason the media has latched onto Tebow and its not his fault. Than you get people who are tired of hearing about him and root against him. It's sad
    for some reason? He's the reason, and he absolutely encourages it. He has put himself directly in the spotlight. That's not an accident. That's good marketing. The man's celebrity is setting himself up for life. Tim Tebow is going to be relevant, in some capacity (probably not pro football) for the rest of his life, and he owes that to his current visibility. Every time he sees his name on the scrawl at the bottom of SportCenter, it might as well be a dollar sign.

-Simon Belmont

-Master Shake

-Lorem Ipsum

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

It's all relative.

Neither of those examples are close. McCoy never won a Heisman. Ingram wasn't the QB of a national championship level team.

What's Tebows NFL record again? I find it odd that when everyone wants everyone to just win, Tebow is ridiculed when he did just that. Don't give me the defense and special teams BS either. If they were everything why weren't they winning before? I would argue that he should benefit from what he has done off the field too. Would you argue he shouldn't?

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

for some reason? He's the reason, and he absolutely encourages it. He has put himself directly in the spotlight. That's not an accident. That's good marketing. The man's celebrity is setting himself up for life. Tim Tebow is going to be relevant, in some capacity (probably not pro football) for the rest of his life, and he owes that to his current visibility. Every time he sees his name on the scrawl at the bottom of SportCenter, it might as well be a dollar sign.
    explain to me how he puts himself in the spotlight.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 710

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    Or he's trying to showcase his beliefs to other Christians to show them that it's ok to be open about your beliefs, and he's probably trying to convert some non-Christians into believers as well.

I think he's definitely bringing attention to himself to push an agenda, except his agenda isn't really about him at all.

For the record, I'm not a Christian, that's just my perception of what Tim is all about.
    Perhaps, but in the Bible itself, God urges us not to make our faith an agenda.

No disrespect but that's a very sad stance. Tebow isn't trying to prove how devout he is. He's been that way since middle school. He's not the only player either to acknowledge god after a big play. Thousands do it every year by pointing to the sky, kissing their cross, etc. there is no way that you can question his motives if you don't know him

for some reason the media has latched onto Tebow and its not his fault. Than you get people who are tired of hearing about him and root against him. It's sad
    And no disrespect back, but the Bible disagrees with you. Matthew 6:1 - 18:

“Be careful not to do your acts of righteousness before men to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.2So, when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.5”And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 9This, then, is how you should pray:Our Father in heaven,
    Hallowed by your name.
    Your kingdom come.
    Your will be done
    on earth as it is in heaven.
    Give us this day our daily bread.
    Forgive us our debts,
    as we also forgive our debtors.
    And lead us not into temptation,
    But deliver us from evil.
    14For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.16”When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men that they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 17But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

M 7/09

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    Neither of those examples are close. McCoy never won a Heisman. Ingram wasn't the QB of a national championship level team.

What's Tebows NFL record again? I find it odd that when everyone wants everyone to just win, Tebow is ridiculed when he did just that. Don't give me the defense and special teams BS either. If they were everything why weren't they winning before? I would argue that he should benefit from what he has done off the field too. Would you argue he shouldn't?

In other words. I don't want to hear the truth.

-Simon Belmont

-Master Shake

-Lorem Ipsum

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

explain to me how he puts himself in the spotlight.

-Simon Belmont

-Master Shake

-Lorem Ipsum

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 463
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Perhaps, but in the Bible itself, God urges us not to make our faith an agenda.

And no disrespect back, but the Bible disagrees with you. Matthew 6:1 - 18:

“Be careful not to do your acts of righteousness before men to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.2So, when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.5”And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 9This, then, is how you should pray:Our Father in heaven,
    Hallowed by your name.
    Your kingdom come.
    Your will be done
    on earth as it is in heaven.
    Give us this day our daily bread.
    Forgive us our debts,
    as we also forgive our debtors.
    And lead us not into temptation,
    But deliver us from evil.
    14For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.16”When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men that they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 17But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
    Stop trying to prove how devout you are, you goody goody.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 157

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    I would argue that he should benefit from what he has done off the field too. Would you argue he shouldn't?
    He's set up for a lifetime making millions a year as a motivational speaker. He's benefiting immensely from what he's done off the field.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 710

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    Stop trying to prove how devout you are, you goody goody.
    Haha - definitely don't think I'm devout (although I know you're kidding). I'm a poor excuse for a Christian most days, which I try to remedy - quietly, through personal introspection and prayer, as God calls us to do. Not by Tebowing in the middle of the field.

You can't use the argument that Tebow is just following his faith with all of these shows, because that faith itself warns against such displays.

M 7/09

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

A sports start writing a book? Shameless.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

im not sure your point

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Haha - definitely don't think I'm devout (although I know you're kidding). I'm a poor excuse for a Christian most days, which I try to remedy - quietly, through personal introspection and prayer, as God calls us to do. Not by Tebowing in the middle of the field.

You can't use the argument that Tebow is just following his faith with all of these shows, because that faith itself warns against such displays.
    Dude, if you threw a touchdown in overtime of a playoff game you'd be Tebowing up and down that sideline and you know it.