Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Re: Running inside vs. outside

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I am still motivated, but it is always good to get new ideas and shake things up. I may start with 1-2 outside runs a week on my weightlifting off-days and see where it takes me!

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 32

I prefer running inside with Woody and Standard. Guys like Nealy and Wimberely are good at running outside.

In all seriousness though, congrats on the weight loss! I would recommend outside since there is more scenery, variety, etc. In saying that if the ground outside is tough, such as cement, or grass if it hasn't rained in a while, then you are more prone to injury then you would be on a treadmill.

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 29

Most information I have seen shows you expend up to 9% more energy running outside versus on a treadmill, has to do with the belt helping a you along and the muscles used. So there's that.

Congrats on your weight loss! I did we'll with myfitnesspal also!

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by PabloDiablo View Post
    Most information I have seen shows you expend up to 9% more energy running outside versus on a treadmill, has to do with the belt helping a you along and the muscles used. So there's that.

I have heard similar things in that running outside stresses different muscles, parts of the feet and legs due to the non-uniformed terrain. Probably won't be a big deal unless you do plan on running road races or occasionally train outside.

Also I have heard that to get the equivalent workout on the treadmill vs outside you need to increase the the incline by 0.5 to 1.0 to get the same effect as wind resistance. This might not seem like a much but over a few miles it does make a difference.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 65

Quote Originally Posted by PabloDiablo View Post

I think this can quickly be equalized (or very close to) if you slightly incline the TM to about 3-4% which is about the equivalent to flat surface outside.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Yes, I have adjusted my treadmill running to have a 2% incline, but the few times I have run outside, it still has seemed much harder. Part of this is that I am not good with pacing myself, and I think I run at too fast of a pace when I don't have a machine setting the pace for me.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 65

We train a lot of athletes on super treadmills at my work place (all of the training is done on steep inclines at full sprint speed and done in quick intervals) and they both have their benefits.
    One big benefit with TM training is that you will get to run at a consistent speed (unless you purposely change it). For example, if I am going to run 3 miles at 7 MPH, you will end the workout at the exact same speed as when you started. Versus running outside, you might start at 7 MPH, but towards the end or middle you will get tired and might slow to 5-6 MPH without even knowing it. So, the TM keeps you honest and can push you harder.

One big benefit to running outside is the change in scenery, actually running and propelling yourself, and running on varied surfaces and inclines.

The TM is a controlled environment which some people like, if they want to have more control on their workout.

If you get shin splints, try running on anything BUT concrete. Grass, track surface, something with less impact than concrete. And stop slapping your feet on the ground, run more on the balls of your feet.

What it really comes down to (regarding personal fitness and weight loss) is you have to do what you feel best. It's that simple. If running on the TM gives you a better workout and you can get more intense than running outside, with better results, then keep running on a TM. If you hate running inside and your workouts suck because of it, then go outdoors. When it comes to training, for anything, everything is subjective.

Last edited by cyclonedave25; 04-29-2013 at 10:28 PM.
    When Prepared, Fear No One.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 28

Strange thing is I have more knee issue with biking than running. Doc said some people are just like that and do what feels best.

Running outside in an environment that isn't controlled will take some getting used to when setting your pace. On the mill you'll either hit the front or fly off the back if the pace gets out of line.

I've found that I'm able to find the sweet spot if I don't listen to music or let my mind wonder. By staying in the moment and listening to the feedback my body is giving I'm able to pace correctly.

It's been a long long time since I started running outside. I really didn't consider the pace setting as another factor of outdoor running

Addict
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 678
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 44

Awesome news on the weight loss. I've dropped about 35 since November doing p90x 3 days a week and running 3 days. I used to just run but the p90x class has been a nice change-up. I only run outside unless I am at a hotel. If you have a TV in front of you that can make it much more tolerable. I have snowshoes that I used through the winter through ditches out in the country. Great workout. I don't know if you have done it yet, but getting fitted and tested for running shoes no doubt was game changer for me. Used to have hip, knee, and shin splint issues. Got fitted and found out I was wearing shoes 2 sizes too small. Apparently running shoes aren't supposed to fit like football cleats. I also take 1 run a week and run on the grass, sometimes barefoot if I am familiar with the area, and my legs always feel better than the concrete runs. Just a few things that worked for me. Hope it helps.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 12

I've never had much of a pace issue running outside. There's no specific measure I've taken to ensure correct pace, I've just been lucky enough to be in touch enough with my body to find that right spot. I guess I just naturally gravitate to it.

I had a few trials and errors early on, but caught on to my pace pretty quick.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 703
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 428

I have terrible allergies, so indoors works best for me. The only time my allergies are not bad, I don't want to run on snow and ice. The pollen seems like it might be kind of high now and my husband just mowed, so my eyes and nose have been running all day.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 1

Just curious if someone has some advice for me, to leach off this thread. :) I've never been much of a fan on running for the sake of running, but I've gotten a small routine going now of going to the local rec and doing a mile on the indoor track. I've only been at it for a few weeks, sucks that reaching a mile was that hard, but hey, I'm there now and want to progress.

I think the problem now is I seem to get really out of breath at a mile. I'm 6'2" 245, so the weight doesn't help, but similar to the op, I did get down from 265 using myfitnesspal and watching calorie intake alone, so continuing to eat healthier and exercise seems to be the way to go. ;)

The good thing is some of the shin pains and knee pain that I had when I first started have pretty much gone away as I've kept running, but wondering if someone has some advice on how to keep gaining mileage and what a good steady increase would be. I'm 40 myself.

I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

For one, running outside is by far the best. The fresh air, the sun, the cool breeze are all therapeutic, and with running inside you get none of that. Plus I can't stand just staying on a treadmill for more than 30 minutes, but outside I could go an hour plus. And if you're having problems with shin splints, try running barefoot on grass, specifically on a golf course when it isn't busy if possible. It feels amazing and it strengthens up your legs to help to prevent problems.

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 2

Nice job on the weight loss! But where do you live in St. Paul that the heat is a problem? You realize there is a small chance of snow in the forecast this week? It seems that there are trails all around St. Paul depending on where you live, but some of these may be concrete. I live pretty close to Summit and I notice there is quite a path down the middle from people walking or jogging.

Simply, I think you could probably try running for a period of time/distance then walking for a certain time/distance and repeating. For example run for a minute then walk for 30 seconds and do this for so many intervals. You could tweak the times to run more and walk less and/or keep adding intervals until you hit a desired length of time or distance that you want to run.

Walk On
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 465
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Congrats on the weight loss! I had heart surgery the end of Jan and was told to lose 50#. With the big changes in our diet (no sweets, counting carbs for diabetes control, only 600 mg of salt per day) i have lost 35#. I have set my calories at 1500 per day but that is hard to do esp when at home to keep finding things to eat. Before going to my office, I go to cardio rehab for an hour riding a bike, treadmill for 20 minutes and lifting very light weights. That all is doing more than I expected. Off days I am walking 2-3 miles at a bit less than 4mph which takes about 20 minutes per mile. With my age and knees not too excited about jogging but may get there. I do like the outdoor walk but only since last weekend have I done that. We use the fitnesspal app and I usually use it on my computer. If I get to 1250cal per day I should lose 2# per wk. but I would be very hungrey.