Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 152

best minvans

So my wife and I had said we would never ever get a minivan for our family(we just couldn't get over the stigma), but having adopted four kids in the last year,and expecting one in July..... we started to accept the inevitability that we were most likely looking at a minivan in the near future. Well yesterday my wife got a minivan for a rental for her business trip this week. We ALL rather enjoyed the convenience of it and have decided it would definitely be a better fit for our family.

We have been looking at reviews and passing by the lots looking at them, but have yet to take any for a spin or play with the amenities.

Here are our front runners...

Honda Odessy- my wife's favorite, will fit 8 and she liked the way the rear seating worked
    downside appears to be the price tag.

Toyota Siena- Probably my favorite, i like the availability of all wheel drive. My wife says she doesn't care, but I would feel much better with her getting around in the winter having all wheel drive available.
    I also like the styling better.
    Downside It looks as though the rear seating may not be a flexible. With all wheel drive we loose a few MPG looks like if we get the AWD we loose a seat.

Dodge/Chrysler grand caravan- meh ... This was the one my wife got for a rental this weekend. The amenities were all right, but its a dodge. I know they are supposed to be on the rise as far as quality etc., but I work in the auto industry and our experience has been.... they pretty much run things the way they always have(half assed) and I just can't bring myself to buy a Chrysler product.

Those of you that have them..... what are your opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Cycl1 View Post
    seriously who says "cowl"?

Starter
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 21

Re: best minvans

My sister and brother both have Honda Odysseys and they love them. My sister's has almost 200k miles and it hasn't really had any issues at all. My wife and I have a Yukon XL since we refuse to drive a minivan.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 403
    Given: 463

No sure but I will tell you this.

1. Make sure you drive right next to other mini vans out on the interstate. Go at least 10-15 miles an hour under the speed limit. This will make it so that nobody can pass you.

2. Don't turn right on red. Act confused. Most Mini van drivers already know this but since you are new I am giving you the heads up.

3. Get off the line slow at red lights. When the light turns green, make sure you hesitate a few seconds, then very slowly gradually speed up. This will insure that all other drivers are sitting behind you furious.

4. Turn very very slowly. ALmost so slow that the cars behind you have to stop.

5. last and not least. When entering a construction zone, if the speed limit is 55. Go about 35. This will make sure it causes a nice trafic jam behind you.

Mini Van rules by knownothing. If you can't follow them. You will have your mini Van taken away.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,868
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 69

We have a 2007 Odyssey. It's been a very good vehicle and still drives like new. Road noise is a bit of an issue for the Honda's but that's about the only one I can think of. Toyota was our second choice and they make a great van too. Nothing wrong with the Dodges. Lot of bang for the buck there. We didn't get one at the time because the Honda and Toyota was ahead in design at that time. We never have worried about "stigma" with the van. It's so practical it isn't even funny. It will carry more than some pick up trucks.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 397

I have a lot of faith in Toyota products but have not owned one of their minivans. I personally wouldn't pay extra for all wheel drive in a minivan. Those vans have sufficient ground clearance and weight that getting around in winter with fwd should not be an issue.

Don't have a lot of experience with Honda products but have a generally favorable opinion of them.

Re: Dodge. We found ourselves in a similar situation to you a few years ago. Didn't want a minivan but came to the inevitable conclusion it would be the most convenient and useful for our family. At the time we had an employee purchase plan with Chrysler and, against my better judgment, we bought a Dodge Caravan. I must say that it has been a solid vehicle. We've only had one minor unexpected repair in 90k miles but other than that it's been great. It's convenient, durable and stands up to everything we've thrown at it. And even after seven years of ownership it still rides well and I actually enjoy driving it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 789
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    We have a 2007 Odyssey. It's been a very good vehicle and still drives like new. Road noise is a bit of an issue for the Honda's but that's about the only one I can think of. Toyota was our second choice and they make a great van too. Nothing wrong with the Dodges. Lot of bang for the buck there. We didn't get one at the time because the Honda and Toyota was ahead in design at that time. We never have worried about "stigma" with the van. It's so practical it isn't even funny. It will carry more than some pick up trucks.
    Road noise will not be a problem for me...... My commuter is an 04 EVO. They don't get much stiffer or louder then that.

.... That's what she said.....

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    I have a lot of faith in Toyota products but have not owned one of their minivans. I personally wouldn't pay extra for all wheel drive in a minivan. Those vans have sufficient ground clearance and weight that getting around in winter with fwd should not be an issue.

Don't have a lot of experience with Honda products but have a generally favorable opinion of them.

Re: Dodge. We found ourselves in a similar situation to you a few years ago. Didn't want a minivan but came to the inevitable conclusion it would be the most convenient and useful for our family. At the time we had an employee purchase plan with Chrysler and, against my better judgment, we bought a Dodge Caravan. I must say that it has been a solid vehicle. We've only had one minor unexpected repair in 90k miles but other than that it's been great. It's convenient, durable and stands up to everything we've thrown at it. And even after seven years of ownership it still rides well and I actually enjoy driving it.
    The AWD was only 900.00 more... but I think that my wife is dead set on the 8 passenger config so that the baby can be in the 2nd row in the middle.... It looks as though the awd package is only in the 7 seat config.... I am thinking there might be a drive shaft tunnel or something that keeps you from getting the 8th seat. I do have to say the dodge wasn't too bad. However the finishes in dodge products tend to be inferior... although for toting kids around, who necessarily cares? the dodges do seem to be considerably cheaper in price, and I think they do have the most HP.

Starter
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,050
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 101

Odyssey.

All-Star
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,028
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

There have a been a couple other threads on this before. I'm not bashing the OP, but a search will find a bunch of great insight from other CF's in those threads as well.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Addict
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 462

Isn't Wilson Toyota a CF sponsor? Doesn't that settle the matter?

We love our Sienna. It is a workhorse. And the front wheel drive is fine. Don't think we have ever wished we had AWD.

All-Star
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,028
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

I've owned a Chrysler (2008) and Toyota (2010). I liked the interior and features of the Chrysler better, but we always had it in the shop for some stupid little repair. The Toyota was rock solid. I will not buy another Chrysler vehicle.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    - Benjamin Franklin

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Isn't Wilson Toyota a CF sponsor? Doesn't that settle the matter?

We love our Sienna. It is a workhorse. And the front wheel drive is fine. Don't think we have ever wished we had AWD.
    Do you live in Iowa?

Addict
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 462

Quote Originally Posted by cdnlngld View Post
    Do you live in Iowa?

Yes.

Rookie
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 47

Sienna, hands down for me. A little pricier, but worth it. We are on our second Sienna. Hey, it's not sexy, but it sure is handy.

Legend
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 439
    Given: 646

Are you worried about the minivan getting stuck or are you worried about going in the ditch. If you're worried about getting stuck at a stop sign then maybe AWD is for you. On the other hand it would take a lot for a FWD minivan to get stuck and at that point you probably don't want to be driving. Once you're in motion, AWD is not going to help someone from losing control, stop any faster, etc. It's probably actually worse because the person that is driving it thinks "I have AWD".

This isn't like 4wd in pickup trucks. Pickup trucks have no weight in the back and are rwd. Minivans have a large majority of their weight in the front and are FWD. A large majority of the people who have AWD in vehicles like this would be better off spending the money on tires.

As far as Toyota/Honda, I've always like Honda more but don't know anything about their minivans. I'm assuming they are both bulletproof. I know that the Honda V6 is used in a ton of their vehicles. I bet it's the same one in my wifes RDX that has cylinder deactivation, 270 hp, and gets about 25mpg.

Last edited by dmclone; 04-29-2013 at 02:24 PM.