Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40
  1. #16
    Pro
    Points: 99,825, Level: 98
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,225
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,903
    Points
    99,825
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 0

    Re: Big Ten Announces Football Division and 9-Game Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by cycophagus View Post
    To the degree the bowl format is preserved, with its all important win #6, maybe the schools should put this series on hiatus. But if schedule strength becomes a big factor for playoff seeding, keeping the Cy-Hawk series in tact may be in the mutual interest.
    Does the fact that it's fun count?



  2. #17
    Addict
    Points: 132,810, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyFan61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    6,734
    Points
    132,810
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 21

    Re: Big Ten Announces Football Division and 9-Game Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by cycophagus View Post
    I think that will be a trend. The Pac-10/12 has not played FCS schools for some time. My personal prediction is that, in the future, FBS schools will only play FCS schools in an exhibition format, possibly only during a spring game.
    What?

    In 2013, Arizona State will play Sacramento State, Washington plays Idaho State, Colorado's got Central Arkansas, and those are just the first three that I happened to come across. The Pac-12 most certainly does play FCS teams. The Big Ten will be the first conference to institute a rule to prevent its members from playing FCS schools.



  3. #18
    Speechless
    Points: 381,184, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    55,603
    Points
    381,184
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 124

    Re: Big Ten Announces Football Division and 9-Game Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    What?

    In 2013, Arizona State will play Sacramento State, Washington plays Idaho State, Colorado's got Central Arkansas, and those are just the first three that I happened to come across. The Pac-12 most certainly does play FCS teams. The Big Ten will be the first conference to institute a rule to prevent its members from playing FCS schools.
    Colorado should just play FCS teams.


    Big Ten should play 10 conference games to live up to its name.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  4. #19
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 40,796, Level: 62
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    HandSanitizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bondurant, IA
    Posts
    3,540
    Points
    40,796
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

    Re: Big Ten Announces Football Division and 9-Game Schedule

    We should stop playing FCS teams too. UNI is the worst because they are one of the best teams and always have a chip on their shoulder when they play ISU/Iowa.

    First 3 games:
    lower end Mac Team
    Iowa
    Conf USA team

    Glad to see them go to 9 games like us though. Makes it more apples to apples now.
    teams like Minny can't just beat 4 no names schools and then go 2-6 to get to a bowl.
    We would have been a 7 win football team going into a bowl the past 2 seasons if we had the extra cupcake.



  5. #20
    Addict
    Points: 163,294, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    CtownCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    8,553
    Points
    163,294
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

    Re: Big Ten Announces Football Division and 9-Game Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Colorado should just play FCS teams.


    Big Ten should play 10 conference games to live up to its name.
    From the article:
    "It was fully explored," Delany said of a 10-game league schedule. "It would have been nice, but we were having difficulty seeing 28 nonconference games and getting accomplished what we want in terms of major matchups. We felt we'd have a much harder time getting to seven home games.

    "We just thought it was a reach. Who's to say in the future where we may go, but right now, we felt nine was the right place to be."



  6. #21
    Addict
    Points: 148,062, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    9,661
    Points
    148,062
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 285
    Given: 131

    Re: Big Ten Announces Football Division and 9-Game Schedule

    The ISU/Iowa series is headed the direction of BYU/Utah where it's regular but not annual.

    I think these division splits are an overreaction to the hatred of Legends/Leaders. It was the names, not the divisional split, that people mocked and disliked. Putting the top three football programs in one division is just stupid. Nebraska was the dominant team of the early Big 12 (and the nation at the time) with KState being close behind them, that is not remotely the case now with these divisions.



  7. #22
    Speechless
    Points: 381,184, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    55,603
    Points
    381,184
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 124

    Re: Big Ten Announces Football Division and 9-Game Schedule

    Big 7/Little 7 Conference?


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  8. #23
    Legend
    Points: 130,259, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    10,130
    Points
    130,259
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 158

    Re: Big Ten Announces Football Division and 9-Game Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by cycophagus View Post
    To the degree the bowl format is preserved, with its all important win #6, maybe the schools should put this series on hiatus. But if schedule strength becomes a big factor for playoff seeding, keeping the Cy-Hawk series in tact may be in the mutual interest.
    Realistically neither Iowa or Iowa State is going to be a top four team. So strength of schedule is irrelevant for both schools. So it is just a question of whether or not the in state boost is more or less important than losing an easy win every season and a home game every other season.



  9. #24
    Walk On
    Points: 6,456, Level: 23
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    134
    Points
    6,456
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Big Ten Announces Football Division and 9-Game Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by mj4cy View Post
    It's tougher because Wisky has gone to the last 3 rosebowls.


    The odds of Wisky and Nebby both being below Iowa in the same year are slim to none. Plus Iowa still has to play at least 2-3 teams from the other division.

    I think Northwestern needs to be put in this conversation as a team that will usually beat Iowa. If Illinois gets going, I see Iowa fighting it out for 4th or 5th place in their division every year.



  10. #25
    All-Star
    Points: 31,660, Level: 54
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,286
    Points
    31,660
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 20

    Re: Big Ten Announces Football Division and 9-Game Schedule

    1. I think a 13 game regular season is inevitable. Too many schools set their budgets on 7 home games.
    2. I would be A-OK with playing Iowa only every other year. That is enough for both teams and would make the game even bigger in years that it's played.



  11. #26
    Addict
    Points: 107,992, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,370
    Points
    107,992
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 194

    Re: Big Ten Announces Football Division and 9-Game Schedule

    The Iowa State/Iowa is great for both programs. It may cause difficulty each year for the losing team in terms of bowl eligibility, but it is huge in terms of mobilizing the fan base.

    A few years ago, I had to come late to the game at Jack Trice. A friend who works for the University of Virginia was dropping me off near the end of the first quarter. As we drove up, she asked "When is the game going to start?" I said, "About 30 minutes ago." There were so many people outside that she thought the game hadn't started. And this is from someone who has spent her career with D1 schools and has been to plenty of big rivalry events.

    I would hate for us to loose any of the rivalry of the Iowa State/Iowa game.



  12. #27
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 48,813, Level: 68
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 937
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    3,965
    Points
    48,813
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 31

    Re: Big Ten Announces Football Division and 9-Game Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by Acylum View Post
    Iowa being considered a "top team" is a testament to the weakness of their division. That's laughable.
    Your right the Univ of Iowa is Laughable...LOL



  13. #28
    All-Star
    Points: 54,068, Level: 72
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,482
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    colbycheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,363
    Points
    54,068
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 42

    Re: Big Ten Announces Football Division and 9-Game Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    The Iowa State/Iowa is great for both programs. It may cause difficulty each year for the losing team in terms of bowl eligibility, but it is huge in terms of mobilizing the fan base.

    A few years ago, I had to come late to the game at Jack Trice. A friend who works for the University of Virginia was dropping me off near the end of the first quarter. As we drove up, she asked "When is the game going to start?" I said, "About 30 minutes ago." There were so many people outside that she thought the game hadn't started. And this is from someone who has spent her career with D1 schools and has been to plenty of big rivalry events.

    I would hate for us to loose any of the rivalry of the Iowa State/Iowa game.

    *



  14. #29
    Addict
    Points: 148,062, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    9,661
    Points
    148,062
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 285
    Given: 131

    Re: Big Ten Announces Football Division and 9-Game Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by LutherBlue View Post
    2. I would be A-OK with playing Iowa only every other year. That is enough for both teams and would make the game even bigger in years that it's played.
    I think this is the best solution for everyone if 12 game season, 9 conference is here to stay. "Cancel the series" people are short sighted or afraid of losing. Playing a road game once every four years is no sacrifice at all to maintain such an intense rivalry and by far the biggest event in the state.

    If they extended the season to 13 with still just 9 league games then I think it's nuts to not have it be annual.



  15. #30
    Speechless
    Points: 401,296, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    20,858
    Points
    401,296
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 46

    Re: Big Ten Announces Football Division and 9-Game Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    The ISU/Iowa series is headed the direction of BYU/Utah where it's regular but not annual.

    I think these division splits are an overreaction to the hatred of Legends/Leaders. It was the names, not the divisional split, that people mocked and disliked. Putting the top three football programs in one division is just stupid. Nebraska was the dominant team of the early Big 12 (and the nation at the time) with KState being close behind them, that is not remotely the case now with these divisions.
    Appearances can be everything though. Nebraska can look damn good if it can just roll over most of the b10west



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM