Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 115

Re: Your Most Influential/Favorite Book

If they did turn the movie into a trilogy and followed the Ender's Shadow series, it would work out pretty well. Ender is a grown man by the time the second book in the original series begins. (Speaker For The Dead and Xenocide being the 2nd and 3rd books of the original trilogy.) They could use the same actor and by the time they were ready to make the movie, he would be old enough to play the part.

I agree with you Angie, the original series has a very satisfying ending, even if the last two books are absolutely nothing like the first one.

Last edited by klamath632; 04-26-2013 at 03:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Walton
    Think Oscar Wilde when he said, "every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." But also think Neil Young: the fork in the road, light a candle. Instead of cursing the darkness, let's light a candle for where we're going. This was fantastic for the world. We are better people for having been here. It was absolutely incredible. I'm inspired. I don't know when I'll ever sleep again.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 211
    Given: 715

Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    If they did turn the movie into a trilogy and followed the Ender's Shadow series, it would work out pretty well.

Ender is a grown man by the time the second book in the original series begins. (Speaker For The Dead and Xenocide being the 2nd and 3rd books of the original trilogy.)

I agree with you Angie, the original series has a very satisfying ending, even if the last two books are absolutely nothing like the first one.
    For some reason, I was thinking that it was only a few years after the end of Ender's Game, yet was 50 years or whatever on Earth, and they were just keeping up via the Ansible? It's been almost a year since the last time I reread the series, though, so I don't know - actually, I haven't read the Speaker series in about five years, I read the Shadow series for the first time last year. So my memory is very, very fuzzy.

I agree - I think it would go really well if it followed that arc. Assuming they do a good job with them and don't jack them up.

The cast is interesting. LOVE Ben Kingsley as Mazer.

M 7/09

Legend
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 300
    Given: 19

I thought Speaker for the dead was by far the worst of those books. I really liked Shadow of the Hegemon and the original one.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,175
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    I'm also a sucker for extreme survival stories. They really showcase the extent of human will, and can be inspirational as well as exciting. A few that come to mind are "Mawson's Will" by Lennard Bickel (searching for a new route to the South Pole), "South: The Endurance Expedition" by Ernest Shackleton (spent two years wandering on Antarctic ice floes after his ship was crushed), "Touching The Void" by Joe Simpson (Left for dead by his climbing companion), and of course "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer
    Sounds like you are an old man like me and like non fiction adventure and survival books. A couple of other good Krakauer books are "Into the Wild", which I think somebody mentioned, and "Where Men Find Glory, the Pat Tillman Story". You probably knew that Krakauer used to be one of the world's elite mountain climbers.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbuk View Post
    I thought Speaker for the dead was by far the worst of those books. I really liked Shadow of the Hegemon and the original one.
    No question, it's a complete departure from the original and the Shadow series.

M 7/09

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    For some reason, I was thinking that it was only a few years after the end of Ender's Game, yet was 50 years or whatever on Earth, and they were just keeping up via the Ansible? It's been almost a year since the last time I reread the series, though, so I don't know - actually, I haven't read the Speaker series in about five years, I read the Shadow series for the first time last year. So my memory is very, very fuzzy.

I agree - I think it would go really well if it followed that arc. Assuming they do a good job with them and don't jack them up.

The cast is interesting. LOVE Ben Kingsley as Mazer.
    If I recall correctly, the events in Speaker for the Dead are objectively hundreds of years after the Bugger Wars but only about 20 years subjectively for Ender, due to time-dilation during light-speed travel.

Card did write some short stories that talk about Ender's travels prior to arriving on Lusitania, including his first meeting with Jane (the accounting program that becomes sentient) and an encounter with one of Bean's altered-genome-bearing descendants.

Think Oscar Wilde when he said, "every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." But also think Neil Young: the fork in the road, light a candle. Instead of cursing the darkness, let's light a candle for where we're going. This was fantastic for the world. We are better people for having been here. It was absolutely incredible. I'm inspired. I don't know when I'll ever sleep again.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If I recall correctly, the events in Speaker for the Dead are objectively hundreds of years after the Bugger Wars but only about 20 years subjectively for Ender, due to time-dilation during light-speed travel.

Card did write some short stories that talk about Ender's travels prior to arriving on Lusitania, including his first meeting with Jane (the accounting program that becomes sentient) and an encounter with one of Bean's altered-genome-bearing descendants.
    The 20 years makes more sense, now that you say it, especially given his relationship with Novinha, who is a mom of children ranging up into their upper teens. I mean, she could be a cougar, but unlikely.

M 7/09

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 482
    Given: 259

Quote Originally Posted by SaraV View Post
    Ahhh! So many responses I want to make, so please excuse the slight scatter brain thoughts.

My dislike of Jane Eyre might have been intensified by my not liking my senior year English teacher. 1) It was her last year before retiring, 2) I had moved down from three years of honors English in HS to a regular English class, 3) It was my last class of the day, right after PE. (That wasn't her fault, but might have contributed)

I was just about ordered by my husband to read The Hobbit and the LOTR series within the first year of marriage. (His love of the books brought about by his mother) Really enjoy those books, and I've just started reading through LOTR again.

I have just discovered Stephen King within the past several years. I have not read It or Skeleton Crew, or the REALLY scary ones. The one I've read several times is The Stand, and my most recent was Under the Dome. CBS is making Under the Dome as, I believe, a mini-series this summer. I'm leery on how that's going to work out, but will give it a chance.
    If you like Stephen King at all, It is a must read. It is one of his scariest books, but that isn't why it's great.

Walk On
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

No question, it's a complete departure from the original and the Shadow series.
    I disagree with both of you. While it may be tougher to read (i.e. many different themes than the original novel) than the Shadow books or Ender's game, according to Orson Scott Card he wrote Ender's game so that he could write speaker for the dead. Apparently he wanted to tell the story of someone who committed Xenocide and their eventual repentance, by taking another life.

And honestly, the Shadow books are fairly predictable ... though entertaining and from an interesting perspective.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 187

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    Sounds like you are an old man like me and like non fiction adventure and survival books. A couple of other good Krakauer books are "Into the Wild", which I think somebody mentioned, and "Where Men Find Glory, the Pat Tillman Story". You probably knew that Krakauer used to be one of the world's elite mountain climbers.
    s far as non-fiction, these are what I prefer, although I do love SF also. I used to do a lot of mountain climbing in the states when I was younger. We often went during spring break (usually to Rocky Mountain Natl Park), and dug a snow cave and hung out for a few days. But I know what it's like to be caught out in bad winter weather up high, and can appreciate what some of these guys went through. And I'm kind of old, but mostly grumpy.

"Just remember, what you choose to do with each day is very important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it" -ET

"I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff in my life, but there is a definite learning curve." -CE

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUtamu View Post
    I disagree with both of you. While it may be tougher to read (i.e. many different themes than the original novel) than the Shadow books or Ender's game, according to Orson Scott Card he wrote Ender's game so that he could write speaker for the dead. Apparently he wanted to tell the story of someone who committed Xenocide and their eventual repentance, by taking another life.

And honestly, the Shadow books are fairly predictable ... though entertaining and from an interesting perspective.
    Actually, Angie stated earlier that she preferred the Ender trilogy over the Bean one.

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Actually, Angie stated earlier that she preferred the Ender trilogy over the Bean one.
    I disagree with them because I do not think that Speaker is the worst of the series. In my opinion the worst one is Earth Unaware by a wide margin, followed by Shadows in Flight.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUtamu View Post
    I disagree with them because I do not think that Speaker is the worst of the series. In my opinion the worst one is Earth Unaware by a wide margin, followed by Shadows in Flight.
    I don't think it's the worst of the series, either, as klamath said. I just said it was a very different book than the others. As Klamath said, the Speaker arc was my preference, rather than the Shadow arc.

M 7/09

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't think it's the worst of the series, either, as klamath said. I just said it was a very different book than the others. As Klamath said, the Speaker arc was my preference, rather than the Shadow arc.
    Ok got it.

Burgermeister!
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 92

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    or, Orson Scott Card's depiction of what basically is an IPAD in Ender's Game, 30 years earlier.
    Didn't Neuromancer have something similar as well?

Asteroids are nature's way of asking "How's that space program going?"