Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 483
    Given: 224

Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

The Comeback Kid | Ethos magazine

In December, Palo got the answers he had so desperately sought. The female was deposed for two days, during which she stated that she had washed the shirt she wore the night of the incident and then misplaced it. The female found the shirt in a drawer at her mother’s house the day after her deposition, five and a half months after the alleged incident. When the shirt was presented as evidence on Dec. 1, 2012, a 5- to 6-inch-long tear gaped across the front. The female’s boyfriend had come to her residence after the alleged assault, where, according to Boles, the two remained for approximately an hour before deciding to go to the hospital. According to Boles, the female’s boyfriend, the sexual assault nurse and case detective Suzy Owens all testified the tear was not there that night at the hospital.
    Finding the mismatch of the new evidence and subsequent depositions troubling, Boles motioned for the shirt to be sent to Chesterine Cwiklik—owner of Cwiklik & Associates, a microscopy and forensic consulting lab in Seattle—to be analyzed.
    The case never made it to trial. Scientific analysis, Cwiklik deposed, determined it was impossible the shirt had been torn before laundering. Prosecutors concluded the female had manufactured the evidence, stories became muddled and the female’s case fell apart. The charges against Palo and Cruise were officially dropped Jan. 14, freeing the two of all legal consequences and allowing Palo to be reinstated to the basketball team. “I didn’t do anything wrong,” Palo says of that May night. “There’s a lot written about me that’s false … It’s still kind of tough to think that someone could put someone through that. I’m still coping with forgiving her and moving on.”

Wow. That chick should rot in jail for whatever sentence he could have gone to jail for.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,440
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 47

Re: Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

And there were many here that were p*ssed when he was cleared and allowed back immediately.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,377
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 74

wow - I've never heard of this publication, is it credible ? and if so, wow, just wow

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 376
    Given: 198

I had totally forgotten about Ethos after graduating in 07. Glad to hear it's still around, I miss it.

Starter
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 502
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 24

Amazing information.

We all need to remember: innocent until proven guilty! We're all too quick to judge based on our preconceived notions and assumptions.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,639
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 569
    Given: 130

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    wow - I've never heard of this publication, is it credible ? and if so, wow, just wow
    Ethos has been around since I was at ISU in the mid-late 90s.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,687
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 100

Great article. Thanks for linking.

You know, since Bubu and the other guy had their names dragged through the mud for a few months by this story I think it's only fair that the women who invented this "assault" have her name made public and be held accountable for what she did. I might not be as forgiving as Bubu apparently is.

"The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 385
    Given: 268

Not that he would want to, but could a man in this situation sue the woman for libel/slander/etc? It seems unfair that his name is/was ruined and she made up evidence yet her name is sheltered.

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRulzzz View Post
    mtown is among the worst to ever play this game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 4

Pretty much the story I heard. Basically the girls boyfriend found out she cheated on him, so she said it was rape, and it all took off from there. Lots of ill sentiment to the girl from Ames natives, and rightfully so.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    Great article. Thanks for linking.

You know, since Bubu and the other guy had their names dragged through the mud for a few months by this story I think it's only fair that the women who invented this "assault" have her name made public and be held accountable for what she did. I might not be as forgiving as Bubu apparently is.
    Lots of people know who the girl is. "an eye for an eye leaves the world blind"

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by Cychotiic View Post
    Pretty much the story I heard. Basically the girls boyfriend found out she cheated on him, so she said it was rape, and it all took off from there. Lots of ill sentiment to the girl from Ames natives, and rightfully so.
    Confirms what I was thinking after reading the article. A cowardly snap decision made by a person caught red-handed has caused so many people pain. Hopefully the public shame she's brought on herself is enough punishment. And hopefully her boyfriend left her in the dust.

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cychotiic View Post
    Lots of people know who the girl is. "an eye for an eye leaves the world blind"
    So you would have the same opinion if somebody actually did rape a woman? "Hey we could send the rapist to jail and make his name public and everything, but we can't just go around sending people to jail for crimes, can we?"

She should go to jail for libel and tampering with evidence and whatever else she did.

Pro
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

Based on how Bubu was treated by some during his suspension for these false allegations, I wouldn't be comfortable putting the names of accusers out there to be trashed. I think it might be OK in this case, but how do you determine which cases deserve "shunning" and which ones deserve sympathy? Because whatever's done here will be used as precedent the next time an ISU athlete is accused of something like this, and people will jump the gun on releasing the accuser's name because "look at what happened to Bubu".

Based on current events, I think he got about as much out of this situation as he's going to get. The prosecutors flat out said "She lied, this rape never happened". What's he going to get out of her? Drag her through the mud where she belongs, and have people whispering "Yeah, he didn't rape her, but he perpetuated the culture where rape victims aren't believed. Which is just as bad."

He could bust his *** to tear her down (rightfully so), and have loons alleging that the rape actually happened but that the prosecutors covered it up to help ISU Bball? Remember, there are still people who believe that Tawana Brawley was raped, even though her story fell apart faster & further than this story did. Bubu is a smart kid. I think he saw a no-win situation and made the decision that put it behind him as quickly as possible. It sucks, but that's the nature of the world we live in.

There's no winners in this story, and the revelation that the rape allegations were BS didn't change that one bit.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYlent Bob View Post
    Based on how Bubu was treated by some during his suspension for these false allegations, I wouldn't be comfortable putting the names of accusers out there to be trashed. I think it might be OK in this case, but how do you determine which cases deserve "shunning" and which ones deserve sympathy? Because whatever's done here will be used as precedent the next time an ISU athlete is accused of something like this, and people will jump the gun on releasing the accuser's name because "look at what happened to Bubu".

Based on current events, I think he got about as much out of this situation as he's going to get. The prosecutors flat out said "She lied, this rape never happened". What's he going to get out of her? Drag her through the mud where she belongs, and have people whispering "Yeah, he didn't rape her, but he perpetuated the culture where rape victims aren't believed. Which is just as bad."

He could bust his *** to tear her down (rightfully so), and have loons alleging that the rape actually happened but that the prosecutors covered it up to help ISU Bball? Remember, there are still people who believe that Tawana Brawley was raped, even though her story fell apart faster & further than this story did. Bubu is a smart kid. I think he saw a no-win situation and made the decision that put it behind him as quickly as possible. It sucks, but that's the nature of the world we live in.

There's no winners in this story, and the revelation that the rape allegations were BS didn't change that one bit.
    Maybe it would discourage women from claiming false rape?

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 907
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 0

Rape is a very real and serious societal problem. False claims of rape make the problem worse and is also a problem on its own. Public campaigns against the accused or the alleged victims in no way help either problem.

When all is said and done, more is said than done