Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 104
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 163,714, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    9,291
    Points
    163,714
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 759
    Given: 382

    Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

    The Comeback Kid | Ethos magazine

    In December, Palo got the answers he had so desperately sought. The female was deposed for two days, during which she stated that she had washed the shirt she wore the night of the incident and then misplaced it. The female found the shirt in a drawer at her mother’s house the day after her deposition, five and a half months after the alleged incident. When the shirt was presented as evidence on Dec. 1, 2012, a 5- to 6-inch-long tear gaped across the front. The female’s boyfriend had come to her residence after the alleged assault, where, according to Boles, the two remained for approximately an hour before deciding to go to the hospital. According to Boles, the female’s boyfriend, the sexual assault nurse and case detective Suzy Owens all testified the tear was not there that night at the hospital.
    Finding the mismatch of the new evidence and subsequent depositions troubling, Boles motioned for the shirt to be sent to Chesterine Cwiklik—owner of Cwiklik & Associates, a microscopy and forensic consulting lab in Seattle—to be analyzed.
    The case never made it to trial. Scientific analysis, Cwiklik deposed, determined it was impossible the shirt had been torn before laundering. Prosecutors concluded the female had manufactured the evidence, stories became muddled and the female’s case fell apart. The charges against Palo and Cruise were officially dropped Jan. 14, freeing the two of all legal consequences and allowing Palo to be reinstated to the basketball team. “I didn’t do anything wrong,” Palo says of that May night. “There’s a lot written about me that’s false … It’s still kind of tough to think that someone could put someone through that. I’m still coping with forgiving her and moving on.”


    Wow. That chick should rot in jail for whatever sentence he could have gone to jail for.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 98,671, Level: 97
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7,191
    Points
    98,671
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 553
    Given: 115

    Re: Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

    And there were many here that were p*ssed when he was cleared and allowed back immediately.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 72,004, Level: 83
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,146
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,196
    Points
    72,004
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 209

    Re: Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

    wow - I've never heard of this publication, is it credible ? and if so, wow, just wow



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 153,191, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Farnsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,294
    Points
    153,191
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 466

    Re: Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

    I had totally forgotten about Ethos after graduating in 07. Glad to hear it's still around, I miss it.



  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 19,884, Level: 43
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 866
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Chitowncy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    828
    Points
    19,884
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 48

    Re: Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

    Amazing information.

    We all need to remember: innocent until proven guilty! We're all too quick to judge based on our preconceived notions and assumptions.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 98,717, Level: 97
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ribsnwhiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    4,772
    Points
    98,717
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 927
    Given: 224

    Re: Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

    Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    wow - I've never heard of this publication, is it credible ? and if so, wow, just wow
    Ethos has been around since I was at ISU in the mid-late 90s.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 95,992, Level: 96
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,058
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUChippewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,176
    Points
    95,992
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 188

    Re: Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

    Great article. Thanks for linking.

    You know, since Bubu and the other guy had their names dragged through the mud for a few months by this story I think it's only fair that the women who invented this "assault" have her name made public and be held accountable for what she did. I might not be as forgiving as Bubu apparently is.


    "The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 91,452, Level: 94
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,698
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7,404
    Points
    91,452
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 994
    Given: 703

    Re: Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

    Not that he would want to, but could a man in this situation sue the woman for libel/slander/etc? It seems unfair that his name is/was ruined and she made up evidence yet her name is sheltered.


    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRulzzz View Post
    mtown is among the worst to ever play this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye nation
    If [Iowa] were a good shooting team we could make a run at the final 4.

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 30,789, Level: 53
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,461
    Points
    30,789
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 4

    Re: Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

    Pretty much the story I heard. Basically the girls boyfriend found out she cheated on him, so she said it was rape, and it all took off from there. Lots of ill sentiment to the girl from Ames natives, and rightfully so.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 30,789, Level: 53
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,461
    Points
    30,789
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 4

    Re: Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    Great article. Thanks for linking.

    You know, since Bubu and the other guy had their names dragged through the mud for a few months by this story I think it's only fair that the women who invented this "assault" have her name made public and be held accountable for what she did. I might not be as forgiving as Bubu apparently is.
    Lots of people know who the girl is. "an eye for an eye leaves the world blind"



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 57,438, Level: 74
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,112
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    benjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,692
    Points
    57,438
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 28

    Re: Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

    Quote Originally Posted by Cychotiic View Post
    Pretty much the story I heard. Basically the girls boyfriend found out she cheated on him, so she said it was rape, and it all took off from there. Lots of ill sentiment to the girl from Ames natives, and rightfully so.
    Confirms what I was thinking after reading the article. A cowardly snap decision made by a person caught red-handed has caused so many people pain. Hopefully the public shame she's brought on herself is enough punishment. And hopefully her boyfriend left her in the dust.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 163,714, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    9,291
    Points
    163,714
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 759
    Given: 382

    Re: Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

    Quote Originally Posted by Cychotiic View Post
    Lots of people know who the girl is. "an eye for an eye leaves the world blind"
    So you would have the same opinion if somebody actually did rape a woman? "Hey we could send the rapist to jail and make his name public and everything, but we can't just go around sending people to jail for crimes, can we?"

    She should go to jail for libel and tampering with evidence and whatever else she did.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 82,173, Level: 89
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,577
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Winterset Metroplex
    Posts
    2,492
    Points
    82,173
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 0

    Re: Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

    Based on how Bubu was treated by some during his suspension for these false allegations, I wouldn't be comfortable putting the names of accusers out there to be trashed. I think it might be OK in this case, but how do you determine which cases deserve "shunning" and which ones deserve sympathy? Because whatever's done here will be used as precedent the next time an ISU athlete is accused of something like this, and people will jump the gun on releasing the accuser's name because "look at what happened to Bubu".

    Based on current events, I think he got about as much out of this situation as he's going to get. The prosecutors flat out said "She lied, this rape never happened". What's he going to get out of her? Drag her through the mud where she belongs, and have people whispering "Yeah, he didn't rape her, but he perpetuated the culture where rape victims aren't believed. Which is just as bad."

    He could bust his *** to tear her down (rightfully so), and have loons alleging that the rape actually happened but that the prosecutors covered it up to help ISU Bball? Remember, there are still people who believe that Tawana Brawley was raped, even though her story fell apart faster & further than this story did. Bubu is a smart kid. I think he saw a no-win situation and made the decision that put it behind him as quickly as possible. It sucks, but that's the nature of the world we live in.

    There's no winners in this story, and the revelation that the rape allegations were BS didn't change that one bit.


    "Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 163,714, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    9,291
    Points
    163,714
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 759
    Given: 382

    Re: Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

    Quote Originally Posted by CYlent Bob View Post
    Based on how Bubu was treated by some during his suspension for these false allegations, I wouldn't be comfortable putting the names of accusers out there to be trashed. I think it might be OK in this case, but how do you determine which cases deserve "shunning" and which ones deserve sympathy? Because whatever's done here will be used as precedent the next time an ISU athlete is accused of something like this, and people will jump the gun on releasing the accuser's name because "look at what happened to Bubu".

    Based on current events, I think he got about as much out of this situation as he's going to get. The prosecutors flat out said "She lied, this rape never happened". What's he going to get out of her? Drag her through the mud where she belongs, and have people whispering "Yeah, he didn't rape her, but he perpetuated the culture where rape victims aren't believed. Which is just as bad."

    He could bust his *** to tear her down (rightfully so), and have loons alleging that the rape actually happened but that the prosecutors covered it up to help ISU Bball? Remember, there are still people who believe that Tawana Brawley was raped, even though her story fell apart faster & further than this story did. Bubu is a smart kid. I think he saw a no-win situation and made the decision that put it behind him as quickly as possible. It sucks, but that's the nature of the world we live in.

    There's no winners in this story, and the revelation that the rape allegations were BS didn't change that one bit.
    Maybe it would discourage women from claiming false rape?



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 21,901, Level: 45
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 649
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    HGPuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,199
    Points
    21,901
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 0

    Re: Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

    Rape is a very real and serious societal problem. False claims of rape make the problem worse and is also a problem on its own. Public campaigns against the accused or the alleged victims in no way help either problem.


    When all is said and done, more is said than done

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM