Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Fan expectations

After reading through numerous posts on various topics, I got to thinking about something - fan expectations. Most of us have said (or heard), at some point in time, something to the effect of, "I expected more out of this team" or "(insert team's fanbase here) expects to win conference titles and national titles". I know things are getting out of hand with some fanbases, and I can't help but wonder where this sense of entitlement came from.

Why should we, as fans, have any expectations at all of the sports teams at ISU in the first place? I think it's fine for the school, athletic department, coaches, etc. to have expectations for their teams, but they are the ones responsible for what they put out there. As fans, isn't it simply our responsibility to just show up and cheer for our teams, no matter what?

So I guess when I hear someone say something like, "we need to expect more", or "so-and-so fanbase expects this and that", I just ask - Why? What gives us the right to expect anything in the first place?

Looking forward to some lively debate on this.

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 3

Re: Fan expectations

There is a difference between expecting a competitive team that has a successful season than expecting a team to play for the national title.

And fans have the right to expect things because of the financial commitments provided by them through donations, tickets, merchandise, etc. Teams wouldn't exist without this money.

So, I agree with you somewhat, but I think you are getting caught on fanbases that have ridiculous expectations.

I expect a competitive team that has a chance to win. Down the line, I may expect more than that with some of ISU's athletic teams.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

For starters - most of us attend games, attend supportive events, donate money.

For that, I consider us as investors in the program. And for that investment, I think we deserve a return - just like any other investment. Now the degree to what that return is varies with everyone's opinion. In anycase, it's obviously not a monetary return - it's a return of success for the purposes of entertainment.

And if we don't have expectations and just blindly show up and fork over our money & support, it's inevitable that the program slides to mediocrity or even corruptness. And if that happens, fewer and fewer will be happy with the product, decide it's not worth the money spent, and go elsewhere. That's a downward spiral we can all see.

I'd liken it to almost any other entertainment option - although this is far and away the most expensive for most people. I pay 8.00 for a flick, I expect to enjoy the flick. If I don't, I might never see that actor, director, producer again. I haven't felt I've got my money out of the Civic Center the past few years, hence I'm not a ticket holder or as large of a donor there.

But the expectations need to be in perspective. I don't think some people's are. Some are expecting that broadway play after just a few weeks of rehearsals with the high school glee club.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 11-29-2007 at 12:15 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree with rogue. As a fan who sits at home and watches the team on TV, you really don't get to expect anything. As one who buys a ticket, you have some right to expect a good effort from the team, and as a donor to the program, your have the right to expect a little more in my opinion.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167

I have no problem with expectations. I have expectations for everything I do and I am involved in. If you don't expect anything, you'll lose interest. For example, I'll go to 5-10 I-Cubs games a year. I don't expect anything really other than to enjoy a nice afternoon and a hot dog. But I also don't pay any more than 6 bucks for GA seats because I really don't care how they play. It's nice to see Pie and Cedeno go off... but if they win it's nice, and if they lose I still enjoyed a nice hotdog.

I feel more attached to the Cyclones because I grew up going to games and I am a season ticket holder for basketball and football and I'm probably go to donate what I consider to be a good amount of money starting next year. I care a heck of a lot more about the outcome of the games. I expect them to be competitive, and if they are in a rebuilding period I want to see improvement in the teams from both as an individual and a group.

The only thing that annoys me about expectations is when they get all out of whack and people get ****** off and raid message boards with useless drivel, like this year's MBB team. I care very much about how they do. I was absolutely sick when we lost to UNI. However, just about every objective observer of the program picked us 11th or 12th. And now people are ****** off because we're losing with an injury riddled and inexperienced squad? I just wish people would keep some perspective.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Normally I would agree that when you have a financial investment in something, then you have a right to expect some sort of return. However, I don't think that applies quite the same way to amateur sporting events. I mean, it's one thing to expect certain things out of pro athletes, it's their job. But I think it's unreasonable to expect anything other than a good effort out of 18-22 year olds who play sports in a secondary capacity.

I think the problem is that there are college coaches making millions every year, and fans expect certain results from them because we're basically paying their salaries. Unfortunately, those expectations and pressure to win gets passed down to the players in most cases, which is really unfair for them.

I guess I'm just concerned that college sports are really getting out of hand with the coaches salaries, fan expectations, facility upgrades, etc. It seems like some of the purity of the game and the overall experience is getting lost every year.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 150

The student-athletes on scholarship are also receiving a very expensive education at no charge, and in many cases, at very fine universities, which is something that many in our society cannot afford. I think it is completely fair for there to be certain expectations placed on them in return for the scholarship, and for coaches to expect the "best" effort, attitude, and behavior from these scholarship athletes, and not just a "good" effort.

This isn't a problem for the majority of the athletes, but as we know from recent events, sometimes there are problems, and players get dismissed from the team.

If the circumstances become overwhelming, the scholarship-athlete is free to step aside, and we've seen that happen recently as well. I don't think any athlete is ever forced to take a scholarship, or forced to stay in a situation that they cannot deal with emotionally.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 11-29-2007 at 02:48 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,075
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 338

ENTITLEMENT FOR MJLANE....the sense of entitlement comes from 100 dollar game tickets and the endless donations and season ticket purchases it takes to be competitive. The bottom line is this...when you spend so much money, the fanbases expect, hell no, demand championships and nothing less will satisfy said fanbases.

The Nebraska CornHauling fans are a perfect example of that sense of entitlement. And its not just nebrfans either its the whole landscape of college football and college basketball ...when ticket prices went from seven dollars to 100 dollars thats when t he word entitlement entered the picture my friend.

My first college football ticket cost a whole 2.50 to be able to sit in the endzone.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    The student-athletes on scholarship are also receiving a very expensive education at no charge, and in many cases, at very fine universities, which is something that many in our society cannot afford. I think it is completely fair for there to be certain expectations placed on them in return for the scholarship, and for coaches to expect the "best" effort, attitude, and behavior from these scholarship athletes, and not just a "good" effort.

This isn't a problem for the majority of the athletes, but as we know from recent events, sometimes there are problems, and players get dismissed from the team.

If the circumstances become overwhelming, the scholarship-athlete is free to step aside, and we've seen that happen recently as well. I don't think any athlete is ever forced to take a scholarship, or forced to stay in a situation that they cannot deal with emotionally.
    Exactly right. The athletes aren't cashing any checks. In the same breath, in most cases they aren't writing any either. It cost me alot to go to ISU. It's not costing them remotely the same. So they are in effect paid employees of the university.

I expect a player to keep their nose clean, and do their best in school and on the field. Can't ask any more. But I think that's fair to ask as I'm one of many footing the bill for their 4-5 years in Ames. I expect a coach to make sure that the player does his best and is the best they can be, best players we can get. And I think that's fair as well. otherwise, why didn't I get an athletic scholarship and save myself and parents thousands?

To get to mjlane's point - coaches should, and I think do, have more expectations heaped upon them. And that's fair. Players are open to criticism as well, but not in the same ways as a coach. I don't like alot of the direct attacks I hear, especially on Alex Thompson, or Bryan Petersen. At the same time, if they don't like it or can't handle it - they always have the option of not taking the scholarship or opportunity to play.