Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 49,648, Level: 68
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    psychlone99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    1,099
    Points
    49,648
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 193

    Woody's role and the pistol

    In Klenakis' feature on cyclones.com from a few weeks ago he talked about the benefits of the pistol. There were the obvious things like using balance to avoid giving the defense any pre-snap indication of direction. He also mentioned "deception with movement and motion." Maybe I'm dense, but when I heard this for the second time, I put 2 and 2 together with the sudden flexibility in how we're using Woody (lined up as a back, as a tight end, in the slot, etc.).

    I think most of us are expecting Coach K to have a big influence on the offense. Perhaps Woody is the biggest evidence of this.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 64,010, Level: 78
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 840
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    5,459
    Points
    64,010
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,020
    Given: 592

    Re: Woody's role and the pistol

    Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post
    In Klenakis' feature on cyclones.com from a few weeks ago he talked about the benefits of the pistol. There were the obvious things like using balance to avoid giving the defense any pre-snap indication of direction. He also mentioned "deception with movement and motion." Maybe I'm dense, but when I heard this for the second time, I put 2 and 2 together with the sudden flexibility in how we're using Woody (lined up as a back, as a tight end, in the slot, etc.).

    I think most of us are expecting Coach K to have a big influence on the offense. Perhaps Woody is the biggest evidence of this.
    I may be wrong but I kind of doubt that moving Woody around has a lot to do with the pistol. It may be partly a suggestion from Klenakis, but we've moved around players within our offense plenty of times before. For example, the last couple seasons there were times where West or Horne lined up as running backs. Sometimes our tight ends have lined up as h-backs, other times in the slot, and even other times almost as a full back. Some of this might be Klanakis, but for the most part I think it's in part because of our injuries at tight end in the spring, and having so many running backs who can all get the job done. On top of that Woody needs to be on the field more, and he doesn't see enough time at running back for that.



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 202,033, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    13,498
    Points
    202,033
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 451
    Given: 1,533

    Re: Woody's role and the pistol

    Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post
    In Klenakis' feature on cyclones.com from a few weeks ago he talked about the benefits of the pistol. There were the obvious things like using balance to avoid giving the defense any pre-snap indication of direction. He also mentioned "deception with movement and motion." Maybe I'm dense, but when I heard this for the second time, I put 2 and 2 together with the sudden flexibility in how we're using Woody (lined up as a back, as a tight end, in the slot, etc.).

    I think most of us are expecting Coach K to have a big influence on the offense. Perhaps Woody is the biggest evidence of this.
    I sure as heck hope that the offensive line is the biggest evidence of this!


    Go Cyclones!

  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 49,648, Level: 68
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    psychlone99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    1,099
    Points
    49,648
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 193

    Re: Woody's role and the pistol

    Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    I may be wrong but I kind of doubt that moving Woody around has a lot to do with the pistol. It may be partly a suggestion from Klenakis, but we've moved around players within our offense plenty of times before. For example, the last couple seasons there were times where West or Horne lined up as running backs. Sometimes our tight ends have lined up as h-backs, other times in the slot, and even other times almost as a full back. Some of this might be Klanakis, but for the most part I think it's in part because of our injuries at tight end in the spring, and having so many running backs who can all get the job done. On top of that Woody needs to be on the field more, and he doesn't see enough time at running back for that.
    But has there been a lot of pre-snap movement and shifting? That, I think, may be the difference. I don't recall seeing much of that in recent years, and I think that is what's being hinted at.

    And I don't for a second think that Woody's new role is due to injuries at TE. You don't trumpet that stuff in interviews if it's just a temporary thing because someone is banged up. There may be more freedom due to depth at RB, but I think this is largely a signal of Klenakis' hand on the offense.



  5. #5
    Recruit
    Points: 2,024, Level: 12
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    118
    Points
    2,024
    Level
    12
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 26

    Re: Woody's role and the pistol

    Ok. I'm in.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 144,029, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    WhatchaGonnaDo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,890
    Points
    144,029
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 832
    Given: 317

    Re: Woody's role and the pistol

    They are recognizing that Woody is a good player and can contribute in ways other than running the ball, on a team full of good running backs vying for PT



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 375,961, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    17,481
    Points
    375,961
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,396
    Given: 5,682

    Re: Woody's role and the pistol

    Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post
    In Klenakis' feature on cyclones.com from a few weeks ago he talked about the benefits of the pistol. There were the obvious things like using balance to avoid giving the defense any pre-snap indication of direction. He also mentioned "deception with movement and motion." Maybe I'm dense, but when I heard this for the second time, I put 2 and 2 together with the sudden flexibility in how we're using Woody (lined up as a back, as a tight end, in the slot, etc.).

    I think most of us are expecting Coach K to have a big influence on the offense. Perhaps Woody is the biggest evidence of this.
    I think Woody as H-Back/flexed out RB is simply insurance for Brun and Bibbs. Woody is a very talented individual, but he is a bit limited on the football field. I think it's just a big story this spring, and won't make a difference this fall.



  8. #8
    UVA est, ut destruatur
    Points: 858,551, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    60,672
    Points
    858,551
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,936
    Given: 4,850

    Re: Woody's role and the pistol

    Can you imagine how effective Woody could be getting the ball back in the secondary somewhere?



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 40,770, Level: 62
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    istater7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,854
    Points
    40,770
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 566
    Given: 241

    Re: Woody's role and the pistol

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Can you imagine how effective Woody could be getting the ball back in the secondary somewhere?
    Remember his TD catch vs Baylor last year? He just snuck out there and had an easy TD. I'm expecting to see things like that this year.



  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 21,869, Level: 45
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mfelske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    738
    Points
    21,869
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 220

    Re: Woody's role and the pistol

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyismymonkey View Post
    Ok. I'm in.
    Fine, but are you "All In"?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM