Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 437
    Given: 81

Re: Potential Transfer??

Good grief, I'm getting sick of parents fighting their kid's battles publicly. Also, if you're clinically depressed or suffer from mental illness, D1 or pro sports may not be a great fit for you.

Pro
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    Good grief, I'm getting sick of parents fighting their kid's battles publicly. Also, if you're clinically depressed or suffer from mental illness, D1 or pro sports may not be a great fit for you.
    Yeah, I'm glad none of these whiny parents and players complained about Mike Rice at Rutgers publicly. He was just a decent guy trying to coach a basketball team.

It's funny that in the Mike Rice case that people wondered why no one stood up for themselves, but then when someone does complain publicly about a coaches behavior it's all on the players or parents.

In your opinion, what kind of activities should people with depression or any form of mental illness be restricted too?

Last edited by jtdoyle1; 04-16-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 317
    Given: 411

Mike Rice incident seems different than this. At least regarding Cougille. He seems like a whinney kid. The Rice guy was going nuts and assaulting his players. Cougill missed a meal. Cougill started crying on the bench. I mean WTF is that. Maybe he should not be playing basketball and maybe his parents should be parenting.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Addict
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jtdoyle1 View Post
    Yeah, I'm glad none of these whiny parents and players complained about Mike Rice at Rutgers publicly. He was just a decent guy trying to coach a basketball team.

It's funny that in the Mike Rice case that people wondered why no one stood up for themselves, but then when someone does complain publicly about a coaches behavior it's all on the players or parents.

In your opinion, what kind of activities should people with depression or any form of mental illness be restricted too?
    They shouldn't be restricted from any activities, but if they don't take their meds and have a breakdown during a game, there needs to be consequences or at least a way to get the person away from the team so they aren't a distraction.

Also, there has to be a point at which if their production isn't worth the headaches, then they have to live with the consequences.

If you aren't physically blessed enough to play high level sports, or if you're not mentally prepared to handle the rigors, then maybe it's just not meat to be. Rather than blaming others and trying your case in the media.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 223
    Given: 401

Since I don't know the situation there, I won't say that the players don't have a legitimate case. However, I do take issue with Cougill's mom. This particular quote says a lot about her and doesn't do any favors for the average person to believe her:
    “They banned me from the Facebook page,” she [Gina Cougill] said. “That was a distraction that (Wardle) blamed Brennan for because I posted that there was too much one-on-one going on. So instead of talking to me, he pulled my son in and writes that in our little 20 distractions, and he said most kids get to six and are released from the team.”

Yo, Gina, don't use social media to criticize the coach. THAT IS a distraction & I don't blame the coach for holding your kid responsible for this idiocy. If you have an issue, organize fellow parents - in private - and then meet with the coach. Don't bring your complaints to the attention to the whole world. Start with the chain of command & then take other appropriate avenues if your initial measures have not worked.
    Like I said initially, there may be a lot of awful stuff that this coach is doing and, if true, he should be punished. BUT, it sounds like Cougill's mom seriously needs to grow up!

Last edited by kentkel; 04-16-2013 at 11:57 AM.
    Utah Utes, Illinois Illini. The University of Pennsylvania thought about following this pattern by calling themselves the Pennsylvania Pencils. However, they were afraid their students would start chanting "We're No. 2"

Legend
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 576
    Given: 979

well he's used up all his eligibility, so yeah.

Good recruiting find by Lickliter though.

Category 3 Boat Shoes Campus Rep
    PM for Discounts / Promo Codes

Talk to ISUCubsWin for Category 4
    Talk to BU4ISU for Category 5
    Talk to mjacobs for Category XXX

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 59

What a momma's boy this college grad is. I bet she is conducting his job search as well.

Addict
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 43

Quote Originally Posted by kentkel View Post
    Since I don't know the situation there, I won't say that the players don't have a legitimate case. However, I do take issue with Cougill's mom. This particular quote says a lot about her and doesn't do any favors for the average person to believe her:
    “They banned me from the Facebook page,” she [Gina Cougill] said. “That was a distraction that (Wardle) blamed Brennan for because I posted that there was too much one-on-one going on. So instead of talking to me, he pulled my son in and writes that in our little 20 distractions, and he said most kids get to six and are released from the team.”

Yo, Gina, don't use social media to criticize the coach. THAT IS a distraction & I don't blame the coach for holding your kid responsible for this idiocy. If you have an issue, organize fellow parents - in private - and then meet with the coach. Don't bring your complaints to the attention to the whole world. Start with the chain of command & then take other appropriate avenues if your initial measures have not worked.
    Like I said initially, there may be a lot of awful stuff that this coach is doing and, if true, he should be punished. BUT, it sounds like Cougill's mom seriously needs to grow up!
    I'm in the Siouxer and have dealt with Gina Cougill. Not surprised by this. The term pain in the *** comes to mind.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 630
    Given: 290

His mom obviously took things to far and he should have been taking his meds. In saying that coaches need to make efforts to accommodate players with mental illness. Depression or anxiety when handled correctly should not be a major issue for a college athlete. Coaches also need to know their players. If a coach doesn't want players on his team with those issues, then he shouldn't have offered them a scholarship in the first place.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    His mom obviously took things to far and he should have been taking his meds. In saying that coaches need to make efforts to accommodate players with mental illness. Depression or anxiety when handled correctly should not be a major issue for a college athlete. Coaches also need to know their players. If a coach doesn't want players on his team with those issues, then he shouldn't have offered them a scholarship in the first place.
    How do you know that Cougill was as transparent about his illness prior to signing with UWGB? Nor do we know that BC's mental condition didn't deteriorate throughout the course of the year. There's no way to know what all the facts are, because all we've heard is one side of the story told by a helicopter mom, whose big gripe was being kicked off facebook.

One thing is for certain, if every time a player with mental issues airs their grievances publicly via a social media campaign every time they aren't handled with kid gloves, kids with these issues will not be selected for scholarships in the future. Especially marginal players like Cougill.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 630
    Given: 290

How do you know that Cougill was as transparent about his illness prior to signing with UWGB? Nor do we know that BC's mental condition didn't deteriorate throughout the course of the year. There's no way to know what all the facts are, because all we've heard is one side of the story told by a helicopter mom, whose big gripe was being kicked off facebook.

One thing is for certain, if every time a player with mental issues airs their grievances publicly via a social media campaign every time they aren't handled with kid gloves, kids with these issues will not be selected for scholarships in the future. Especially marginal players like Cougill.
    We do not necessarily know all the facts and I will be the first to admit that. I just said this because I've been a part of teams before where a coach knew a player had a legitimate mental illness and didn't do anything to help that player. We know that his mother was overly sensitive but we do not know if his coach did everything possible to prevent this.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

It’s really easy to comment when you know everything that went on right?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,481
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 116

Unless you play for Fred Hoiberg. He can manage players with mental illnesses quite well.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by gogagig View Post
    Unless you play for Fred Hoiberg. He can manage players with mental illnesses quite well.
    There's no doubt that Fred did a masterful job with RW. But I'm sure there was a fine line between how it played out and the situation blowing up in a big way. Thankfully we have Fred.