Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 81,216, Level: 88
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    cmjh10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    5,000
    Points
    81,216
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 393

    NCAA coming down on Oregon?

    Naz Long, the Cowboy Killer

  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 40,901, Level: 62
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 749
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,974
    Points
    40,901
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 421

    Re: NCAA coming down on Oregon?

    I'm sure they will come down harder on us.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 36,049, Level: 58
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 601
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Cyclonin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,690
    Points
    36,049
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 318

    Re: NCAA coming down on Oregon?

    Chip Kelly see the writing on the wall??

    Reminds me of a similar issue at USC....



  4. #4
    KFitzy87
    Guest

    Re: NCAA coming down on Oregon?

    Quack.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 54,482, Level: 72
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    intrepid27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    2,459
    Points
    54,482
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 15

    Re: NCAA coming down on Oregon?

    I love these two quotes in the same article: "the school and the NCAA agree "major" violations were committed by the football program" AND "NCAA enforcement staff said they had "no finding of lack of institutional control and no finding of unethical conduct"".



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 40,901, Level: 62
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 749
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,974
    Points
    40,901
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 421

    Re: NCAA coming down on Oregon?

    Yet they found Caltech had a lack of institutional control. Good thing they can't pull their 32 Nobel prizes.



  7. #7
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,731, Level: 24
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 319
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    ArgentCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    335
    Points
    6,731
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: NCAA coming down on Oregon?

    Hmm... this may be a little brash but here goes anyway. How is the NCAA any different than a "legal" organized crime syndicate funneling millions of dollars each year from the product of college student athletes? The fact that they "allow" the schools to pay for the student's tuition. I hope we can end this farce in a couple years.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 426,205, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,643
    Points
    426,205
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 1

    Re: NCAA coming down on Oregon?

    Quote Originally Posted by ArgentCy View Post
    Hmm... this may be a little brash but here goes anyway. How is the NCAA any different than a "legal" organized crime syndicate funneling millions of dollars each year from the product of college student athletes? The fact that they "allow" the schools to pay for the student's tuition. I hope we can end this farce in a couple years.
    With no NCAA kiss Iowa State athletics goodbye. There needs to be oversight of some sort or the little guys don't have a chance at competing with the big guys.



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 199,776, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Rabbuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,358
    Points
    199,776
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 18

    Re: NCAA coming down on Oregon?

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    With no NCAA kiss Iowa State athletics goodbye. There needs to be oversight of some sort or the little guys don't have a chance at competing with the big guys.
    Inmates are running the asylum, if you think we have any chance of competing with the big guys now you're mistaken at least in football.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 96,249, Level: 96
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    huntt26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    po' dUnk
    Posts
    7,391
    Points
    96,249
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 3

    Re: NCAA coming down on Oregon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonin View Post
    Chip Kelly see the writing on the wall??

    Reminds me of a similar issue at USC....
    Yessir, saw it coming



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 60,186, Level: 76
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,464
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,045
    Points
    60,186
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 4

    Re: NCAA coming down on Oregon?

    Quote Originally Posted by carvers4math View Post
    Yet they found Caltech had a lack of institutional control. Good thing they can't pull their 32 Nobel prizes.
    If you ever actually read why some of the smaller schools or non mainstream sports get hit with big time penalties it's pretty interesting. There is some incredibly blatent cheating going on there. Schools signing pro athletes or having people who aren't even enrolled in school competing for them.

    My favorite example is the Morehouse college soccer team which got the death penalty for using pro athletes on the team and also for this reason:

    The Division II infractions committee came down particularly hard on Morehouse because of a lack of institutional control; for a time the athletic department did not know the soccer program even existed

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty_(NCAA)



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 40,901, Level: 62
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 749
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,974
    Points
    40,901
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 421

    Re: NCAA coming down on Oregon?

    Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    If you ever actually read why some of the smaller schools or non mainstream sports get hit with big time penalties it's pretty interesting. There is some incredibly blatent cheating going on there. Schools signing pro athletes or having people who aren't even enrolled in school competing for them.

    My favorite example is the Morehouse college soccer team which got the death penalty for using pro athletes on the team and also for this reason:

    The Division II infractions committee came down particularly hard on Morehouse because of a lack of institutional control; for a time the athletic department did not know the soccer program even existed

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty_(NCAA)
    Caltech's was for letting them "class shop" like all of the other students at the beginning of term, attending classes they are not necessarily registered for. You know, deciding if whether taking Astrophysics or Thermodynamics would be more helpful for the summer internship at the Jet Propulsion Lab. So yep, they weren't necessarily fully enrolled at the beginning of term but were within a couple of weeks, and taking classes insanely more difficult than most college athletes. And their basketball and baseball teams have literally gone for stretches of years without a single win.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM