Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 688
    Given: 657

Scary Moments

What was the moment that you realized you were in deep doo-doo? What did you do? How did you get out of it? It can be event-related (like an accident), something at work, family, etc.

When I was about 11, I went over to our neighbor's because I thought I saw one of our farm cats wandering around (our farm was about 2 miles away at the time). Another farmer rented out this neighbor's land and barns so they always had some heifers hanging around.

I climbed into their old pig barn which was adjacent to one of the fields these heifers were in. The animals, being curious, came over to the (very low - meant to keep pigs in, not keep bovines out) fence and watched me as I poked around. I only gave them a cursory glance noticing they had orange tags and one with a yellow tag. Now, at my family's farm, females got a yellow tag, and the males got an orange tag. I knew this farmer used orange for females, but I was so conditioned to yellow tags, I paid no attention to the one animal with a yellow tag.

I eventually became aware that one of the "heifers" was making a lot of noise and bellowing at me. I finally turned around and she's just leaning on that low fence, her entire upper body down to her legs is over top of it. She's also quite a bit bigger than the other heifers. I look at her face and notice she had a neat zigzag marking and follow it down to the ring in "her" nose.

That "heifer" was a very angry Holstein bull. FYI, they kill more people per year than sharks. My great-grandma had been attacked by one in the 1940s and had her back broken - I'd heard that story multiple times and knew I was in big trouble. I couldn't go back the way I came in, because I would have to go through that field for about 10 feet, and then climb a very shoddy fence that would never hold up to a charging bull. My only option was to go a direction I wasn't familiar with and would only have one strand of electrical wire between me and the bull. I just felt sick to my stomach. It takes about 4 seconds to think this through, and the bull is just pushing at the little fence that's keeping him about 30 feet from me. I slowly move across the pen and climb out into the area protected by electrical wire. Some of the other heifers come trotting over, and I can see the bull moving too. I take off at a dead sprint and don't stop until I'm back in my house. I could still hear that bull bellowing!

I mention it to my mom and she calls our neighbor (after chewing me out which I deserved).........who had no idea that their tenants had a bull on their property. They immediately had them come and take him out because they knew their facilities weren't in good enough shape to house a bull. We heard later that it took three men, A rope through the nose ring, and a couple electric buzzers to get him on the trailer. They decided he was a little too mean after all.

Probably not as scary as something like a car crash, but for an 11 year old, that was a lot of fear!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 453
    Given: 899

Re: Scary Moments

How did I know your scary moment would be cow related?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

There are 2 for me that stick out. One was 10 years ago. It didn't happen to me, but it was very scary. I went into a gas station to get an orange soda (I was craving it on a hot summer day and it was close to my house). I saw a man laying on the ground in front of the gas station. He wasn't breathing. I was trained in CPR and began the process on this man. A fireman also saw the man and helped. His pulse was faint. You could hear this man's wife scream from their car. We kept going until the paramedics arrived (10 minutes later). I still don't know if the man lived or died, but I did everything I could (as well as the fireman). I went to pay for my orange soda and the gas station attendant said "it's on the house." Best orange soda I've ever had.

The second comes when I was 6 years old. I went to a neighbor's house to play and fell off of a 10 foot ledge and landed on my head. I won't get into the details, but I lost a lot of blood. I took my shift off and tied it around my open wound to put pressure on it. I don't know why I did that, just thought it would keep the blood in at the time. The pressure put on the wound from the tight shirt saved my life that day and gave me a pretty sweet scar on my head as a result. I remember being so scared that I would get blood on my parents carpet (they were pretty strict about that stuff). Anyhoo, just two that I can think of off hand.

"Die rebel scum" - Paul Rhoads

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 372
    Given: 299

9 years ago when I was a Freshman year of college. I was living in Helser and my gf (now wife) and I were heading out to see Rockapella at CY Stephens. It was the weekend so I could park my car on campus lots without getting it towed. We get into the car and are just about to pull out into the street when I notice how clean the car is and how there was a drink in the cup holder that I'd never tried before! I realized that somehow the key to my 1996 Ford Taurus worked for another 1996 Ford Taurus! We turn around to put the car back and realize that the spot was taken and there were no spots left in the lot. That huge feeling of panic overcame me......where you suddenly have that lump in your throat and no appetite. Then my sense returned and I realized I could simply just back out my actual car and put this car it its place.

@RandomGeoFacts

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mj4cy View Post
    9 years ago when I was a Freshman year of college. I was living in Helser and my gf (now wife) and I were heading out to see Rockapella at CY Stephens. It was the weekend so I could park my car on campus lots without getting it towed. We get into the car and are just about to pull out into the street when I notice how clean the car is and how there was a drink in the cup holder! I realized that somehow the key to my 1996 Ford Taurus worked for another 1996 Ford Taurus! We turn around to put the car back and realize that the spot was taken and there were no spots left in the lot. That huge feeling of panic overcame me......where you suddenly have that lump in your throat and no appetite. Then my sense returned and I realized I could simply just back out my actual car and put this car it its place.
    I nearly did the same thing one time with my mom's van, but I realized the cigarettes and trash in the car were not ours before I backed out.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ImperialCyclone View Post
    There are 2 for me that stick out. One was 10 years ago. It didn't happen to me, but it was very scary. I went into a gas station to get an orange soda (I was craving it on a hot summer day and it was close to my house). I saw a man laying on the ground in front of the gas station. He wasn't breathing. I was trained in CPR and began the process on this man. A fireman also saw the man and helped. His pulse was faint. You could hear this man's wife scream from their car. We kept going until the paramedics arrived (10 minutes later). I still don't know if the man lived or died, but I did everything I could (as well as the fireman). I went to pay for my orange soda and the gas station attendant said "it's on the house." Best orange soda I've ever had.

The second comes when I was 6 years old. I went to a neighbor's house to play and fell off of a 10 foot ledge and landed on my head. I won't get into the details, but I lost a lot of blood. I took my shift off and tied it around my open wound to put pressure on it. I don't know why I did that, just thought it would keep the blood in at the time. The pressure put on the wound from the tight shirt saved my life that day and gave me a pretty sweet scar on my head as a result. I remember being so scared that I would get blood on my parents carpet (they were pretty strict about that stuff). Anyhoo, just two that I can think of off hand.

kudos to you for helping that man. That would be scary as heck. Were you alone at the neighbor's? I'm just thinking that's pretty smart for a 6 year old.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I have one that was really scary at the time and one that is truly scary.

First the lesser scary.

When I was maybe 10 I was down in the family basement. We had an old coach down there that had a hide-a-bed in it so it was heavy as crap and hard to move. I lost a toy under it and I decided that, instead of trying to move the couch I could just reach under and grab it. Bad idea. My arm got stuck and, being 10, I panicked. I started screaming for help. Unfortunately, my mom was sleeping (she worked nights) and no one else was around. It felt like I screamed for hours, though it might have been a lot less.
    Finally my mom came running down the stairs and helped me out. She said she had faintly heard me and almost didn't come down because she thought I was just horsing around with my older brother.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 3

I dont know if i would call these moments "scary"... I was mostly more embarrassed at the time than anything. I used to get stuck in things. Numerous trees I would climb and not be able to get down, and i got stuck climbing on hay bales once. (by the way, falling between two big hay bales sucks, bad) One time i was climbing an apple tree on our property growing up, and i fell out of the tree backwards, but my shorts caught on a branch and I was hanging upside down by my shorts. I would be so embarrassed i wouldn't just yell loudly for help. so i would call out for help, and slowly increase the volume at which i was talking until someone(dad or mom) finally would hear me and come get me down.

So i guess what other little kids could find scary, i found to be horribly embarrassing.

I LIEK CHOCOLATE MILK - The Partisan Bat

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Hmmm...I'm not a huge "weiner"
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    "Yeah, Chris' weiner is a way bigger get than mine."

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mj4cy View Post
    9 years ago when I was a Freshman year of college. I was living in Helser and my gf (now wife) and I were heading out to see Rockapella at CY Stephens. It was the weekend so I could park my car on campus lots without getting it towed. We get into the car and are just about to pull out into the street when I notice how clean the car is and how there was a drink in the cup holder that I'd never tried before! I realized that somehow the key to my 1996 Ford Taurus worked for another 1996 Ford Taurus! We turn around to put the car back and realize that the spot was taken and there were no spots left in the lot. That huge feeling of panic overcame me......where you suddenly have that lump in your throat and no appetite. Then my sense returned and I realized I could simply just back out my actual car and put this car it its place.

Good old GM craftsmanship.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cycl1 View Post
    I dont know if i would call these moments "scary"... I was mostly more embarrassed at the time than anything. I used to get stuck in things. Numerous trees I would climb and not be able to get down, and i got stuck climbing on hay bales once. (by the way, falling between two big hay bales sucks, bad) One time i was climbing an apple tree on our property growing up, and i fell out of the tree backwards, but my shorts caught on a branch and I was hanging upside down by my shorts. I would be so embarrassed i wouldn't just yell loudly for help. so i would call out for help, and slowly increase the volume at which i was talking until someone(dad or mom) finally would hear me and come get me down.

So i guess what other little kids could find scary, i found to be horribly embarrassing.
    so this was obviously before the sad events that happened to your parents? I would have thought that would be your scariest moment.

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 203

The second I stepped on the Yellow Footprints.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    so this was obviously before the sad events that happened to your parents? I would have thought that would be your scariest moment.
    I was sharing stories everyone didn't already know THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I LIEK CHOCOLATE MILK - The Partisan Bat

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Hmmm...I'm not a huge "weiner"
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    "Yeah, Chris' weiner is a way bigger get than mine."

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 744
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

I was driving back from Chicago after watching the ISU vs. Duke game a few years ago. It was a bit of a snowy day, but traffic was moving decently probably around 55 mph. Being a utility engineer, I was trying to show my friend the "cool" power lines over to the left side of the road. I turned around and suddenly traffic was all slowing down and stopping ahead of me. I was going 55 and the road was slick so I'm trying to slow the car down but I can see I'm not going to be able to stop in the right lane before hitting the car in front of me.

I try to switch to the left lane because there was enough room for me to stop over there, but there was a mound of snow between lanes. I couldn't get over at first, but I kept trying and made it over. My rear end is now fishtailing like crazy and I'm still going like 45 mph but I'm able to slowly pour on the brakes and come to a stop. I was a lot more careful the rest of the way home.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I guess I shouldn't give cowgirl crap for her cow related story, because my second story is band related.

In 2001 I spent the summer marching for Colts Drum and Bugle Corps out of Dubuque Iowa. We traveled the country performing in competitions, mostly on college and high school football fields. I was 21 at the time, my last year of eligibility.

One night, after a competition at a small college in Illinois two my friends and I were walking from the stadium to where the buses were parked about 7 blocks away. We rounded a corner and started walking down a long dimly lit street.
    As we passed a house on the street we heard a man yell, "Hey, come here!" All three of us stopped and looked back to see who yelled at us. There was a man standing on the sidewalk behind us with a large kitchen knife.

Our hearts immediately jumped into our throats and we took off. I was the biggest and slowest of us but I kept up with my two quicker friends. We ran about 5 blocks to the buses at a flat sprint. When we looked back, the guy was gone. We could hardly believe it really happened.

We immediately went and found the corps directors and they called the cops. We waited there until they showed up and told them the story. They went down the long street and we waited there. They then had us come down and asked us to identify the guy. I honestly couldn't recognize him. All I had seen or remembered was the knife. They searched the guys back yard and found the knife, took our statements and we hopped on our bus and left.

Closest I've ever been to death. I still remember the fight or flight adrenaline rush. Once that wore off I passed out on the bus though.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 2,237

About six years or so ago, I was driving down to Des Moines to catch a flight to Alaska for work. It was just ridiculously early, something like 3:30 a.m. So I was totally not awake, and I'm NOT a good driver anyway.

I headed down 35, and usually would take 235 east through Altoona, then take... whatever highway that is that goes south and around Pleasant Hill. I don't remember, 80? Anyway. They were doing just a crap-ton of road construction, so my exit was blocked. I went south another exit (and should have just kept going down to MLK), turned around, and went north to go catch my exit.

Well, there were some "road closed" signs over the big bridge on the overpass there, but they were sort of off to the side, so they didn't exactly look like the road was really closed. Plus, I was so tired that my logic was a bit off. I kept going down the road, and all of the sudden the road just stopped. Luckily they hadn't pulled up all of the road with nothing underneath it, or else I probably would have, you know, died by plummeting to my death - it was just all of the pavement pulled up. I was able to get my car turned around and get back out of the "road closed" section.

Any time I think about it still, I almost have a mini panic attack.

M 7/09