Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 28

Consequenses of the Violations on Recruiting

I apologize if this topic has been covered in one of the threads on the NCAA violations...

I'm wondering if we'll ever know who we had to stop recruiting because of the impermissible contacts. I wonder if the defensive end (Suttles?) went to Nebraska because we told him we could no longer offer a scholarship? It's clear that we couldn't recruit Jok, but what about someone like Kyle Washington? It really hurts to think we could have had a class with Monte Morris, Matt Thomas, Peter Jok, Kyle Washington, and maybe Hogue/Amardi...

Perhaps Washington was on his way to BobbyLutzland anyway, but I could envision the scenario where Fred tells Kyle that unfortunately he can't be a Cyclone so he should consider going to NC State where Fred knows that there is a good guy on staff.

My opinion is that Fred and Jamie did the best thing and that while it is awful to see "ISU" and "major violations" together in a headline, in the long run Iowa State's reputation is enhanced as a school that operates with class.

Who are some other recruits that we may have been forced to forgo?

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 743
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

Re: Consequenses of the Violations on Recruiting

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but why would we have been forced to forgo recruits? Someone else mentioned losing Jok as well and I'm not clear on why that would be. Was the fired MBB assistant the connection? (Sorry, I don't follow recruiting as much these days.)

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 292
    Given: 216

Quote Originally Posted by Trice View Post
    I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but why would we have been forced to forgo recruits? Someone else mentioned losing Jok as well and I'm not clear on why that would be. Was the fired MBB assistant the connection? (Sorry, I don't follow recruiting as much these days.)
    We immediately stopped the recruitment of anyone that we were contacting improperly, so as to prove that no recruiting advantages were gained because of the impermissible contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Walton
    Think Oscar Wilde when he said, "every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." But also think Neil Young: the fork in the road, light a candle. Instead of cursing the darkness, let's light a candle for where we're going. This was fantastic for the world. We are better people for having been here. It was absolutely incredible. I'm inspired. I don't know when I'll ever sleep again.

Starter
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 632
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 28

From what I understand, we had to stop recruiting anyone who received an impermissible contact. That way the university didn't gain any benefit from the improper action.

Edit: too slow

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 743
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    We immediately stopped the recruitment of anyone that we were contacting improperly, so as to prove that no recruiting advantages were gained because of the impermissible contact.
    Oh, no kidding? I guess that must have been in the report and I hadn't seen that part.

In terms of our being proactive and dealing with the problem, that really does go above and beyond what I would have expected. Maybe that's common for schools who self-report? I don't know.

Another question...when we say we're on "probation" what does that mean? I've always assumed it to be virtually meaningless, like extra reporting and more punishment if we screw up during that time period. Is that about right?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 292
    Given: 216

Oh, no kidding? I guess that must have been in the report and I hadn't seen that part.

In terms of our being proactive and dealing with the problem, that really does go above and beyond what I would have expected. Maybe that's common for schools who self-report? I don't know.

Another question...when we say we're on "probation" what does that mean? I've always assumed it to be virtually meaningless, like extra reporting and more punishment if we screw up during that time period. Is that about right?
    If you're on probation, it sets you up for the death penalty as a repeat offender if you commit more violations. That's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Walton
    Think Oscar Wilde when he said, "every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." But also think Neil Young: the fork in the road, light a candle. Instead of cursing the darkness, let's light a candle for where we're going. This was fantastic for the world. We are better people for having been here. It was absolutely incredible. I'm inspired. I don't know when I'll ever sleep again.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,360
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 293
    Given: 591

It means don't do nothing wrong for 2 years and you are off probation

Starter
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 119

Jok went to EIU because his coach at Valley (Horner) is a former hok.

The sky is the limit. We are trying to win every game. We are going to try to get to that big stage, the Final Four, and play on. Monte Morris (May 2014)

CYCLONE CLUB AND SUNSHINE & RAINBOWS JIHAD MEMBER

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 968
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 202

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonic1 View Post
    Jok went to EIU because his coach at Valley (Horner) is a former hok.
    Jok had two scholarship offers, Drake and Iowa. If you think we stopped recruiting him because of these violations then it won't be long before UNI/Creighton/etc come out with their self imposed penalties too.

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,083
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 43

We'll find out. I found it interesting that we've been on self imposed probation for nearly 2 years now and still have pulled in some of our best recruiting classes. So that leaves one wondering are we really paying a penalty? It will be interesting to see how NCAA views this, but as others have noted other schools have done similar things and done relatively well.

Little side story, I was listenting to KRNA out of Iowa City yesterday(an awesome rock station) and 2 of their DJ's were absolutely piling on ISU and then brought up how Iowa's rated top 25 for next year. Had to laugh about it. They were insinuating JP's job is on the line and we signed this big deal with Fred Hoiberg and he's part of the problem....They did have one good point. They questioned how a school could ask for it's own penalty.