Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64

Thread: David Irving

  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 18,137, Level: 41
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Nuts4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    601
    Points
    18,137
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 94

    David Irving

    I see and hear a lot about him and I agree with the upside due to his size, but I have never seen him get any pressure on the QB. In fact he is so thin he gets pushed off the line fairly quicky and is a non-factor.

    So why is everyone so high on him? He's has the body of Reggie Hayward but nowhere the talent. We need to redshirt him and get him 30 lbs of muscle.



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 44,748, Level: 65
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,899
    Points
    44,748
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 40

    Re: David Irving

    You don't redshirt a junior who has played the previous seasons. Now that would be dumb.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 733,093, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    48,621
    Points
    733,093
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,887
    Given: 897

    Re: David Irving

    He disrupts passing lanes at times, and I've seen him get downfield for tackles too. He's learning, but we don't have the depth to spare. I think he'll be just that much better this year with a year with the experience he's had.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 117,366, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,670
    Points
    117,366
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 407

    Re: David Irving

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    He disrupts passing lanes at times, and I've seen him get downfield for tackles too. He's learning, but we don't have the depth to spare. I think he'll be just that much better this year with a year with the experience he's had.

    I've also seen him hustling down field to help with tackles. However, sometimes, I wish he would just stay put and get his hands up in the air, especially in the Big 12 that passes so much. He could be so disruptive, just with his size, even without making much penetration into the line.



  5. #5
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 299,761, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    299,761
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

    Re: David Irving

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts4Cy View Post
    I see and hear a lot about him and I agree with the upside due to his size, but I have never seen him get any pressure on the QB. In fact he is so thin he gets pushed off the line fairly quicky and is a non-factor.

    So why is everyone so high on him? He's has the body of Reggie Hayward but nowhere the talent. We need to redshirt him and get him 30 lbs of muscle.
    He weighs 275 lbs right now. I don't think we want 30 lbs on him as a DE. 10 more tops. He's a good 2-3 inches taller than Hayward and has the talent of Hayward but he's very raw and doesn't seem to have the drive yet



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 96,444, Level: 96
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ribsnwhiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    4,584
    Points
    96,444
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 801
    Given: 181

    Re: David Irving

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts4Cy View Post
    I see and hear a lot about him and I agree with the upside due to his size, but I have never seen him get any pressure on the QB. In fact he is so thin he gets pushed off the line fairly quicky and is a non-factor.

    So why is everyone so high on him? He's has the body of Reggie Hayward but nowhere the talent. We need to redshirt him and get him 30 lbs of muscle.
    So, you dont watch any games?



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 159,823, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    9,027
    Points
    159,823
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 694
    Given: 339

    Re: David Irving

    I wish we could've redshirted him his freshman year, but he gave us something we simply didn't have then. Redshirting him now would be incredibly stupid.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 75,770, Level: 85
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 780
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isufbcurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    4,582
    Points
    75,770
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 692
    Given: 1,038

    Re: David Irving

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts4Cy View Post
    I see and hear a lot about him and I agree with the upside due to his size, but I have never seen him get any pressure on the QB. In fact he is so thin he gets pushed off the line fairly quicky and is a non-factor.

    So why is everyone so high on him? He's has the body of Reggie Hayward but nowhere the talent. We need to redshirt him and get him 30 lbs of muscle.
    Just remember it took Reggie until about halfway through his Jr. year to become a force. Up until that time he was really raw, athletic, but had lots of missed assignments.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 180,981, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,376
    Points
    180,981
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 0

    Re: David Irving

    I'll be surprised if he's ever much of a factor here at ISU. Maybe he will really turn it on these last 2 years, but he's not shown anything thus far in his first two to indicate that he will.

    He's very slow off the ball. Takes really big, slow steps. His feet aren't quick. He is a physical beast, but lacks the killer instinct and aggressiveness. That's just who he is. You can't teach some of these things. You either want to destroy the opposing QB or you don't. Not really his fault.

    There's a reason nobody was recruiting him. We took a chance on him just based off his size alone. It might pay dividends, but it also might not.

    Another case of people judging someone based solely off of his size. There were actually people posting on here after his first year that we might lose him early to the NFL Draft at some point. Just ridiculous. He has basically been a non factor at DE since he's been here, with the exception of a handful of plays.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 163,948, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    12,205
    Points
    163,948
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 682
    Given: 991

    Re: David Irving

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    I wish we could've redshirted him his freshman year, but he gave us something we simply didn't have then. Redshirting him now would be incredibly stupid.
    Why is that?



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 216,824, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    17,303
    Points
    216,824
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 830
    Given: 483

    Re: David Irving

    He had a couple sacks and I have seen him get pressure a few times - he's not thin either really. His problem is more with quickness and his first step gettin off the snap.



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 96,135, Level: 96
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 915
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,206
    Points
    96,135
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 0

    Re: David Irving

    He batted a pass up and intercepted it for a touchdown at TCU last year. He's doing just fine for Iowa State. A redshirt year would have been just what he needed. I'd like two of him if we could get them. Not sure what the rest of you are talking about.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 159,823, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    9,027
    Points
    159,823
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 694
    Given: 339

    Re: David Irving

    Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Why is that?
    Short answer, he would transfer.



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 55,115, Level: 72
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 435
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    4,290
    Points
    55,115
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 638
    Given: 294

    Re: David Irving

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I'll be surprised if he's ever much of a factor here at ISU. Maybe he will really turn it on these last 2 years, but he's not shown anything thus far in his first two to indicate that he will.

    He's very slow off the ball. Takes really big, slow steps. His feet aren't quick. He is a physical beast, but lacks the killer instinct and aggressiveness. That's just who he is. You can't teach some of these things. You either want to destroy the opposing QB or you don't. Not really his fault.

    There's a reason nobody was recruiting him. We took a chance on him just based off his size alone. It might pay dividends, but it also might not.

    Another case of people judging someone based solely off of his size. There were actually people posting on here after his first year that we might lose him early to the NFL Draft at some point. Just ridiculous. He has basically been a non factor at DE since he's been here, with the exception of a handful of plays.
    You can teach agressiveness. It's not like teaching fundamentals but it can be done. Also, a lot of our players were recruited by nobody, including Jake Knott.



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 180,529, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,930
    Points
    180,529
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 829

    Re: David Irving

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post

    There's a reason nobody was recruiting him. We took a chance on him just based off his size alone. It might pay dividends, but it also might not.
    Lolz...we did not "take a chance on him" based on size alone. The kid set two ISU S&C records as a freshman. Also, are you counting that late USC offer as "nobody"?




    Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

    Who knew?


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. West Virginia
  • November 29, 2014
  • 11:00 AM