Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 8,317, Level: 27
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    BCoffClone125's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    305
    Points
    8,317
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 32

    Relocation Advice: Muscatine/QC Area

    Hey fellow fanatics. I did some quick searching through the forums and didn't find a lot, so sorry if there's already a similar thread to this.

    I accepted a position with HNI Corporation in Muscatine, IA following graduation this May. I'm planning on going out to look at places to live this weekend and was hoping for some advice. I've heard some mixed reviews on living in Muscatine, so I am also open to commuting from the QC area if it feels like a better fit and is worth the drive.

    Any advice on places to live/commuting from fanatics in the area would be greatly appreciated. TIA.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 113,162, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CysRage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,406
    Points
    113,162
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 594
    Given: 491

    Re: Relocation Advice: Muscatine/QC Area

    I interned with HNI last summer and loved it! They are a great company to work for so you made a great choice with that. Yes Muscatine isn't the greatest town to live in but it really isn't as bad as people say it is. It is a typical river city town as it is literally on the Mississippi River. The downtown is really cool as it overlooks the river and there are some beautiful old river mansions along the river that you'll have to check out. As far as places in town to live, I'd live on the North side by Muscatine community college. There is a newer housing and apartment development in that area and is right by a beautiful city park and the aquatic center is right there. They are also building a new movie theater (maybe its already done?) that looks amazing! Don't be surprised on the large number of ISU fans in the area. There are a lot of engineering grads who went on to work for HNI! Hope this helps and PM me if you have any questions!


    Last edited by CysRage; 04-08-2013 at 06:39 PM.
    "The greatest risk in life is not taking one"

  3. #3
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 2,739, Level: 14
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    307
    Points
    2,739
    Level
    14
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 0

    Re: Relocation Advice: Muscatine/QC Area

    I lived in muscatine a couple summers. It's a very nice town. The only problem is the smell. Because of that I would live in the QC. The stinky industries (I can't remember what their names are) in muscatine are frequently in violation with the DNR for air quality issues.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 51,127, Level: 69
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    MeanDean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Clarence IA-Jensen Bch FL
    Posts
    3,049
    Points
    51,127
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 573

    Re: Relocation Advice: Muscatine/QC Area

    From Muscatine originally. Depending on what you want you can find it. Newer family housing areas on the north and northwest. Old mansion style homes on Mulberry and overlooking the river (a few, not so many).

    I lived E of town as a teenager. Off to ISU then lived in Davenport for a while, finally ended up in Blue Grass (lots of mid/nice subdivisions and close to QC's, but not much right in the town itself. Be sure to drive up IA 22 to check out housing between Muscatine and QC. Some amazing housing overlooking the river and some on the banks if you're not afraid of flooding (I wouldn't recommend it).

    Wildcat Den State park is not too far from Highway 22. It's not a big park but pretty nice with a stream running through, some hiking areas and a restored mill. Lots of memories from there.

    I'd avoid S. of town (called the Island). Flat and boring terrain, sandy soil. Great for truck farming (melons, duh!) and other veggies, but not where I'd want to be - JMHO.


    No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 51,127, Level: 69
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    MeanDean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Clarence IA-Jensen Bch FL
    Posts
    3,049
    Points
    51,127
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 573

    Re: Relocation Advice: Muscatine/QC Area

    Quote Originally Posted by CYvilEng View Post
    I lived in muscatine a couple summers. It's a very nice town. The only problem is the smell. Because of that I would live in the QC. The stinky industries (I can't remember what their names are) in muscatine are frequently in violation with the DNR for air quality issues.
    GPC. Mostly S. End and Island. Depending on the wind you can smell it miles away, but I don't remember it being too bad most of the time. Not like Cedar Rapids.


    No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.

  6. #6
    Mariner Moose
    Points: 54,071, Level: 72
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,479
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    no2cyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Posts
    3,373
    Points
    54,071
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 588

    Re: Relocation Advice: Muscatine/QC Area

    Check with TallKidIsTall on the QC--he used to live there.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 39,502, Level: 61
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 848
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cyhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,836
    Points
    39,502
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 11

    Re: Relocation Advice: Muscatine/QC Area

    Quote Originally Posted by MeanDean View Post
    GPC. Mostly S. End and Island. Depending on the wind you can smell it miles away, but I don't remember it being too bad most of the time. Not like Cedar Rapids.
    This. For the most part the smell only affects the South end. You can't smell it down on the island. Most of the time anyway. And yes, the smell isnt too bad most of the time. Its from GPC mostly. Grain Processing Corp.

    OP, you might check out Fruitland too. No apartments, but it is a growing little community. Its basically still Muscatine.

    I think I'd rather live in Muscatine than the Quad Cities. But, I've never been a big fan of the QC's at all. So, perhaps Im biased.
    I believe Muscatine has the most millionaires per capita in the state. Last I knew anyway.
    I also echo the sentiment that the North end can be quite decent. And they have really cleaned up the riverfront. Compared to when I was a kid.


    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

  8. #8
    Walk On
    Points: 5,327, Level: 21
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    is09span's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    166
    Points
    5,327
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Relocation Advice: Muscatine/QC Area

    I am currently in the middle of a co-op with GPC. Yes, we produce that smell. But I lived in the Cobblestone apartments and they were great. The only thing I disliked was that there are no bars near it. The only bars are really down by the river. Here is a link: Cobblestone Apartments | Home

    If you know people, or meet people that you work with, that you can hang out with, its really not a bad place to live.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 39,502, Level: 61
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 848
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cyhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,836
    Points
    39,502
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 11

    Re: Relocation Advice: Muscatine/QC Area

    Quote Originally Posted by is09span View Post
    I am currently in the middle of a co-op with GPC. Yes, we produce that smell. But I lived in the Cobblestone apartments and they were great. The only thing I disliked was that there are no bars near it. The only bars are really down by the river. Here is a link: Cobblestone Apartments | Home

    If you know people, or meet people that you work with, that you can hang out with, its really not a bad place to live.
    Yep. I think its one of the better mid-sized towns in Iowa. But that's not necessarily saying a lot. ha!


    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 11,238, Level: 31
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Angelo, Texas
    Posts
    762
    Points
    11,238
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 28

    Re: Relocation Advice: Muscatine/QC Area

    Quote Originally Posted by MeanDean View Post
    From Muscatine originally. Depending on what you want you can find it. Newer family housing areas on the north and northwest. Old mansion style homes on Mulberry and overlooking the river (a few, not so many).

    I lived E of town as a teenager. Off to ISU then lived in Davenport for a while, finally ended up in Blue Grass (lots of mid/nice subdivisions and close to QC's, but not much right in the town itself. Be sure to drive up IA 22 to check out housing between Muscatine and QC. Some amazing housing overlooking the river and some on the banks if you're not afraid of flooding (I wouldn't recommend it).

    Wildcat Den State park is not too far from Highway 22. It's not a big park but pretty nice with a stream running through, some hiking areas and a restored mill. Lots of memories from there.

    I'd avoid S. of town (called the Island). Flat and boring terrain, sandy soil. Great for truck farming (melons, duh!) and other veggies, but not where I'd want to be - JMHO.
    From the area as well... Blue grass is a good area (the area between Blue Grass and buffalo provides you with access to both work and a quick drive to the quad cities.)

    I'd also say take a look at West Liberty. It is probably 15 minutes from Muscatine and 20 from Iowa City, 40 from the QC (most of which is on 80). Yea, there are Hawks in Iowa city but it also gives you access to the occasional Iowa State sporting event without having to make the 3 hour pilgrimage if funds are tight. Houses are inexpensive but not run down inexpensive like you will find in the QC. Its a population of about 4000 but there are a lot of commuters (early to mid career professionals).

    Two biggest bits of advice.

    1) Scrap the QC idea as the parts of Davenport that would make the most sense for getting to Muscatine are just on the same (if not worse) levels as Muscatine. This link is not lying, the south side of Davenport is not ideal Davenport IA crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout The commute from the good parts of Bettendorf (not actually a Quad City) or the decent parts of Davenport would make it a 45 to an hour commute pending traffic.

    2) I don't think it is on your thoughts but don't live in Illinois when you can live in Iowa.

    Just my thoughts (I've been in Texas for a year so who knows if things changed since then (doubt it))



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 489,223, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,902
    Points
    489,223
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,121
    Given: 803

    Re: Relocation Advice: Muscatine/QC Area

    I grew up in Davenport, but I wouldn't recommend you live there if you're going to work in Muscatine. It's not that Davenport is this god-awful place to live, it's that the commute is horrible, especially in the winter.

    My brother-in-law used to be a welder at Allsteel while living in northwest Davenport. He absolutely hated the commute, especially during the winter. He was involved in two accidents during his commute, both of which came just short of totaling his car - within one year. One of them was him hitting black ice and flipping his car, the other was obliterating a deer. He was about ready to move to Muscatine until he got a job at John Deere.

    Bottom line - if you're going to work in Muscatine, live a lot closer to Muscatine.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 239,763, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,216
    Points
    239,763
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 671
    Given: 473

    Re: Relocation Advice: Muscatine/QC Area

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I grew up in Davenport, but I wouldn't recommend you live there if you're going to work in Muscatine. It's not that Davenport is this god-awful place to live, it's that the commute is horrible, especially in the winter.

    My brother-in-law used to be a welder at Allsteel while living in northwest Davenport. He absolutely hated the commute, especially during the winter. He was involved in two accidents during his commute, both of which came just short of totaling his car - within one year. One of them was him hitting black ice and flipping his car, the other was obliterating a deer. He was about ready to move to Muscatine until he got a job at John Deere.

    Bottom line - if you're going to work in Muscatine, live a lot closer to Muscatine.
    I'll agree with Jdogg. I grew up in Davenport (went to the same HS as Jdogg) and I loved living there, but it's just too far from Muscatine. And I have to agree with the earlier poster, if you're going to live in Davenport, southwest is the last area I'd choose.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 271,370, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,515
    Points
    271,370
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 36

    Re: Relocation Advice: Muscatine/QC Area

    I'd live in Des Moines and commute with those choices.



  14. #14
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 17,058, Level: 39
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Colossus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    244
    Points
    17,058
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: Relocation Advice: Muscatine/QC Area

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyhart View Post
    This. For the most part the smell only affects the South end. You can't smell it down on the island. Most of the time anyway. And yes, the smell isnt too bad most of the time. Its from GPC mostly. Grain Processing Corp.

    OP, you might check out Fruitland too. No apartments, but it is a growing little community. Its basically still Muscatine.

    I think I'd rather live in Muscatine than the Quad Cities. But, I've never been a big fan of the QC's at all. So, perhaps Im biased.
    I believe Muscatine has the most millionaires per capita in the state. Last I knew anyway.
    I also echo the sentiment that the North end can be quite decent. And they have really cleaned up the riverfront. Compared to when I was a kid.
    I think you're thinking of the early 1900's during the pearl-button heyday. How old are you anyway?
    Source: former Muskie



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 489,223, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,902
    Points
    489,223
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,121
    Given: 803

    Re: Relocation Advice: Muscatine/QC Area

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    I'll agree with Jdogg. I grew up in Davenport (went to the same HS as Jdogg) and I loved living there, but it's just too far from Muscatine. And I have to agree with the earlier poster, if you're going to live in Davenport, southwest is the last area I'd choose.
    Actually, I'll disagree with you here. The last place I'd live is just east of Brady south of Locust, followed by just west of Harrison south of Locust, followed by Americana Park. But yeah, I wouldn't want to live in Davenport's Tornado Alley, either.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • BASKETBALL: Iowa State vs. Alabama
  • November 24, 2014
  • 08:30 PM