Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 85

Twister Sister Summary - Taking a look at next year - the Posts

Well, things are winding down on the 12-13 women's basketball season. I've officially become a Louisville fan after Notre Dame lost last night. I just can't get myself to like UConn! Enough of that though...I digress...

Next year, as with any year, will be a new experience. Each year we lose key players, but this may be the biggest (no pun intended) losses we've had since Ms. Medders graduated. How do you replace Pop and Anna? How do you fill in the leadership role that Z played? The easy answer? You don't. We can't. We aren't UConn where we just reload with another 6'5" post or perhaps two. Coach doesn't hire AAU coaches just to be able to sign the next Griner.

Next year's team is going to have a very different look to it as compared to any team we've seen in Cyclone history. It seems we've always had a solid post player. It all started with Grimm, then Welle (who had Cipinyte backing her), Kriener, Robinette, Wilkins, Wieben and Pierson, Pop and Prins. Now all we have at post are question marks. Will Baier ever be more than just a project/backup? What will the smaller Jensen bring and is she healthy? Can Gambino be more than just a defensive stopper? Will any of them be able to move well enough to play the various defenses that Coach Fennelly employs? That was a big liability with Z...lack of foot movement on D. I'm not sure her offense was ever in question, but D definitely was. None of these questions can be answered until they step on campus. But what do they bring us?

Gambino - talked about extensively already. She is a shot blocker and defensive wall. Likes to run the court. Not known for her offensive set. The 6' 4" post has a "big" body and looks ready to bang with the big girls. Blocked 10 shots in one game and set the single season record at her community college with 109. Am hoping that her offensive game develops much as Pop's has over the past 4 years. Full expect her to start next year only because of experience, but...

Jensen - a bit of an enigma. Missed her entire senior season with a repaired knee. Very hard to translate what she did as a junior to college let alone the impact of the big knee injury. From what I've read she has fully recovered and is focusing on college ball right now. She is still a 3 star recruit and ranked as the 28th best post in the country. According to her evals she can move to the left or right, is strong, and has what it takes to move to college. Solid performances as a junior for a very good team. Something like 12 points and 7 boards per game.

Maddy - this offseason will be critical for her. A friend of mine says watching her reminds him of watching a baby deer. The length is there, but lots of development to do. If the desire and motivation is there she could make big strides. Needs to be enrolled in Basketball 101:The Posts from now until school starts. Get stronger. Work on coordination and moves with and without the ball. Footwork for defense. Clearly a mystery, but could make a huge impact even if she just provides 5-10 minutes of solid play per game next year.

Hal - is she a post? Really? I don't think so. She obviously could be on the court with four guards and be the biggest player out there. That still doesn't make her a post, but I prefer to say "hybrid." She has the ability to draw the opponent's post player out. After all, someone has to guard her. If that happens then the inside opens up and look out. Our guards will have to be moving, slashing, and passing. In the end though, Hal isn't a post, but worth mentioning just because of this scenario.

So what do you think? We literally have so many "what if's" and "I don't know's" that its all guesswork. In the end I just hope that we end up with a solid rotation that can score 10 per game, grab rebounds and play solid defense. Hold it, that's Pop isn't it? Too much to ask?

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 809
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Taking a look at next year - the Posts

I think a lot will depend on Jensen's and Baier's offseasons. I think you covered the basics, but from what I understand, Jensen has the biggest upside of the two, and is the hardest worker.

And before we get all upset about freshmen posts, let's not forget, that with Anna and Pop as frosh, splitting time at the 5, we went to the sweet sixteen. Jensen has been compared to Pop in body and motor, but has better offensive skills than when Pop started. Gambino's coach said not to look at her for a lot of points, but a consistent 8-12 type thing a game. Well, we will take that at the 5.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 0

Take a look around the Big 12. Hardly any returning F/C with significant game action.

Returning post players (ppg/rpg)
    Baylor - Higgins (1.6/1.3), Agbuke (1.1/1.1), Chandler (0.8/1.1), Fuqua (0.9/0.6)
    Kansas - Gardner (8.7/6.9), Williams (2.2/2.9)
    Kansas State - Knoll (4.0/1.9), Malone (1.3/1.1), Leick (DNP)
    Oklahoma - Griffin (11.3/4.9), Durrett (3.5/2.7), Dunn (0.2/0.4), Cloman (DNP), K. Williams (DNP)
    Oklahoma State - Suttles (9.7/5.4), Jones (3.4/2.6)
    TCU - Prince (1.4/1.4), Diaz (0.6/1.3)
    Texas - Enemkpali (13.0/9.4), McGee-Stafford (11.1/9.4), Mazionyte (3.8/1.5), Hartung (2.7/4.2), Hattis (1.3/1.1), Major (DNP)
    Texas Tech - Baker (10.6/5.6), Patterson (4.4/3.0), Nobles (2.5/3.5), K. Schneider (1.6/1.3), H. Schneider (1.1/0.7)
    West Virginia - Fields (7.8/4.9), Harlee (4.5/4.1), Leary (3.7/4.8), Montgomery (DNP)

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I recall hearing one of the broadcasters say Louisville didn't have a player over 6'2" during the Baylor game. Is this true? I know they played a different game (thug ball) than us, but doesn't this shed at least a little hope in that height isn't everything?

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Take a look around the Big 12. Hardly any returning F/C with significant game action.

West Virginia - Fields (7.8/4.9), Harlee (4.5/4.1), Leary (3.7/4.8), Montgomery (DNP)
    Don't forget their star Bussie is back after an injury redshirt this year. She is a 6-4 center.

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post

Baylor - Higgins (1.6/1.3), Agbuke (1.1/1.1), Chandler (0.8/1.1), Fuqua (0.9/0.6)
    Kansas - Gardner (8.7/6.9), Williams (2.2/2.9)
    Kansas State - Knoll (4.0/1.9), Malone (1.3/1.1), Leick (DNP)
    Oklahoma - Griffin (11.3/4.9), Durrett (3.5/2.7), Dunn (0.2/0.4), Cloman (DNP), K. Williams (DNP)
    Oklahoma State - Suttles (9.7/5.4), Jones (3.4/2.6)
    TCU - Prince (1.4/1.4), Diaz (0.6/1.3)
    Texas - Enemkpali (13.0/9.4), McGee-Stafford (11.1/9.4), Mazionyte (3.8/1.5), Hartung (2.7/4.2), Hattis (1.3/1.1), Major (DNP)
    Texas Tech - Baker (10.6/5.6), Patterson (4.4/3.0), Nobles (2.5/3.5), K. Schneider (1.6/1.3), H. Schneider (1.1/0.7)
    Lyndsay Cloman at OU is done - she retired from basketball and will not be back for her senior season.

Lady Vols must deal with 'head of the snake' against Sooners GoVolsXtra

Tara Dunn is a volleyball player at OU, she was added for depth, so I wouldn't expect to see her back next year.

Sara Hattis at Texas is a volleyball player, so I wouldn't expect to see her playing basketball next year. She was added for depth.

Shauntal Nobles at TTU had issues with Guillain Barre syndrome. She missed 10 games including their final four games.

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneBob View Post
    I recall hearing one of the broadcasters say Louisville didn't have a player over 6'2" during the Baylor game. Is this true? I know they played a different game (thug ball) than us, but doesn't this shed at least a little hope in that height isn't everything?
    They have a couple of players listed on their roster over 6'2", but I don't believe they play much. Sara Hammond is their tallest starter at 6'2".

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Good job, Ac. If all we get out of the 5 position next year is a three player rotation with one of them able to back up Hallie then I will be happy. From what I have read and heard is that Jensen has the agility to play the four spot. We still have five bodies, countining Ellis, covering two positions. BF will have 10 players to choose a rotation from and may be able to use all of them from time to time. That alone should improve the team for next year. I agree that Gambino probably has the inside track to start but I am not counting out Maddie, just yet. The starting role is her's to lose right now. It just depends if she wants it as bad as Pop did or is okay with sitting on the bench and being part of the team.

Last edited by 907CY; 04-10-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

The troublesome thing about Jensen is something no one can do anything about: she missed her senior year, so in terms of experience, she will be like a high school junior. We can hope she is a quick learner.

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 809
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post
    The troublesome thing about Jensen is something no one can do anything about: she missed her senior year, so in terms of experience, she will be like a high school junior. We can hope she is a quick learner.
    A good question will be her skill development. It is really an unknown. Hopefully, this summer will be a ramp up for her on practice, and we have been told her rehab went really well.

I look for Gambino and Jensen to share time at the five a lot. Jensen is the total package for an ISU post. She is a quality 3 point shooter, with a D-1 ready big body that can pound the boards.

Part of the fun will be seeing how everything shakes out this year.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 692
    Given: 1,734

Thanks acoustimac, I guess I missed the signing of gambino., that makes a huge difference for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!