Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Art Briles is new Baylor HC

Not that it affects us as much as the Nebraska search, but Briles is moving from Houston to Baylor. (As if anyone cares in the midst of the Lucca screwjob)

SI.com - NCAA Football - Baylor picks Houston's Briles as new coach - Wednesday November 28, 2007 2:04PM

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- Houston coach Art Briles is next to take on the task of pulling Baylor out of the Big 12 basement.

Briles confirmed he was leaving in a news conference Wednesday at Houston after meeting with his players.

Baylor spokesman Nick Joos said a news conference was scheduled later in the day on the Waco campus to announce the school's new football coach.

Briles led Houston to four bowls in his five seasons. He was offered the job Wednesday, a day after meeting with Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw in Dallas.

"Life is full of decisions. Sometimes, you have to look at things from a professional, personal standpoint," Briles said. "Professionally, (Houston) ... is great university with a situation I'm proud to be a part of. Personally, the move allows a person of my nature a little more security. When you're getting up in my age, that's an important factor in life."

The Houston Chronicle reported on its Web site that Briles will get a seven-year contract for about $1.8 million per season. Briles, who turns 52 Monday, had four years left on his Houston contract with a base salary of $900,000 annually.

Briles replaces Guy Morriss, who was fired Nov. 18 after five seasons. Morriss' firing came the day after the Bears (3-9) completed their 12th straight losing season with their 12th consecutive Big 12 loss, 45-14 to Oklahoma State.

Houston (8-4) has already accepted an invitation to play in the Texas Bowl on Dec. 28 in Houston against an undetermined opponent. The Cougars won the Conference USA title last season.

Briles was 34-28 in five seasons at Houston with only one losing season. Before his arrival, the Cougars had only two winning seasons in the previous 12 years.

Before going to Houston, where he was a four-year letterman as a receiver and played in the 1976 Cotton Bowl, Briles spent three seasons as running backs coach at Texas Tech. His previous head coaching job had been at Stephenville High School, where in 12 seasons he was 136-29-2 and won four Texas state championships.

Morriss was 18-40 overall, 7-33 in conference games. The Bears were 0-8 in the Big 12 this season.

The leading candidate initially was Mike Singletary, the assistant head coach for the San Francisco 49ers. But the Pro Football Hall of Fame linebacker and Baylor icon took his name out of consideration after a lengthy meeting with McCaw last week in California.

Briles was also on Baylor's short list, along with Houston Nutt, who resigned at Arkansas on Monday and was named Mississippi's new coach Tuesday.

Baylor's 12 consecutive losing seasons have come under the four coaches since Grant Teaff left in 1992 after 128 victories and eight bowl appearances in 21 seasons.

The Bears are the only Big 12 team without a bowl appearance since the conference's inception in 1996. Only two teams from Bowl Championship Series conferences have gone longer without a bowl, but Indiana (7-5) is expected to play its first postseason game in 14 years. Vanderbilt (5-7) lost its season finale to miss making its first bowl in 25 years.

There were some positive accomplishments under Morriss, a 15-season NFL lineman who was 9-14 in two seasons at Kentucky before taking the Baylor job.

Baylor beat two-time defending North Division champion Colorado in Morriss' conference debut in 2003. The coach also delivered the first Big 12 road victory, in 2005 at Iowa State, and then in 2006 the Bears won three Big 12 games in the same season for the first time.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Re: Art Briles is new Baylor HC

Good move for Baylor... Bad move for Briles... He could have done better...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 544
    Given: 377

Anyone else a fan of Jeff Dunham? I've got so many Peanut "one-liners" for this one...

"Kmmmppfff" (the chuckle sound you make from the back of your throat when someone says something stupid)

(with hand swiping over top of head) "MeYYYYYYYOOOOUUUUMMMMM!!!!" (over my head)

"Someone says 'Go to hell...' look around - WE'RE ALREADY HERE!!!"

"Polish a turd, it's still a turd..."

I could go on and on...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 348
    Given: 743

I am surprised Baylor got him. I think earlier he was mentioned for the A&M job. Probably a good hire by Baylor.

Starter
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 613
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

In talking to people from the state of Texas, it appears that Briles may have coveted the Texas Tech job. However, it's not certain that job was going to come available and Baylor gave him two days to decide on their offer. I agree, good for Baylor, but Briles was in position to do better. But then again, who are we to put down Baylor.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 101

$1.8M for a first year coach at Baylor...wow. They are shelling out the dough!

I can't believe he made $900k at Houston.

I heard that Farley at UNI just got a raise from $175k to $400k.

There is a huge salary jump from 1AA to 1A...

Addict
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,571
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 136

I did even hear that Guy was fired. I guess that shows where Baylor ranks.

#BEATIOWA