Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 96

Help with wedding day "to do list"?

Being the consummate dude that I am, I'm not worried in the least about having any issues on May 31st. My girlfriend however has "the crazy" about the wedding and is already in major stress mode. I'm ready to show up at the venue downtown in Omaha and wing it for the win. But with that said, I'm a huge planner and like to be ready for unforeseen shenanigans.

I'm curious to know of any "day of" pitfalls that are lurking out there that you may have encountered. Or just in general what the hell to be looking out for, so we're not caught off guard by something at the last minute.

Main points on planned flow of wedding
    -Set up planned for the day before, unless the venue gets a rare booked Thursday event.
    -Photos before hand
    -Short ceremony (6pm)
    -45+ minute social hour between ceremony and dinner (same venue)
    -Cake cutting during social hour
    -Candy buffett unveiled during social hour
    -Kids table with tons of activities
    -Officiant and I square off in big game of Tecmo Bowl around 9 pm

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,887
    Given: 897

Re: Help with wedding day "to do list"?

Step one: RUN!!!

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 16

I say you've got it covered. Just curious about the bar situation and obviously if Candy is a blonde or brunette?

Starter
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

ba da dum dum dum...Another One Bites the Dust
    And Another One gone and Another One gone...Another One Bites the Dust!

Don't Do It!!!

Cyclone fan since 1964 and proud of it!

Keepers of the Faith -- Member

Legend
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,406
    Given: 1,052

I help my wife photograph weddings and I'm usually with the guys leading up to the ceremony, more than once all the guys have real bow ties and nobody can tie a real bow tie. I keep saying I'll learn but never do. It has seriously caused chaos before.

The only other things the guys screw up is just being too hung over/drunk which leads to being late (although rarely as late as all the girls just doing their hair/makeup) or forgetting the rings.

A lot of times people make their own disasters by overdecorating and over orchestrating things.

Not a bad idea to have a bunch of bottled water around if it's a hot day.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 180

We had bottled water and snacks/party subs in the basement of the church we were in for the wedding party.
    Also under no circumstances, and I mean none, even if you trust that person with your life, give anyone your car keys for any reason whatsoever or give the slightest hint of where you are spending your wedding night.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,529
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyfan4good View Post
    I say you've got it covered. Just curious about the bar situation and obviously if Candy is a blonde or brunette?
    Ha! Nope its real candy, and bound to be ridiculous. Every day this week, I've come home to another 2-3 boxes that showed up via UPS. All kinds of stuff in purple and silver. Its like a dang wildcat wedding.

Beer, wine, pop, and tea free all night. If I remember right we're setting a cap of the amount of free mixed drinks....like three hundred dollars to get the party started, then its going to cash bar later for those drinks. The venue is full with just over 100 people and lots of kids in attendance, so there isn't a huge demand for mixed drinks.

With that in mind, the major alcohol consumers in both our family pound beers like crazy and don't give a rats pajamas about the mixes.

No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Legend
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,629
    Given: 1,569

things we realized day of or that could have been planned better or little things you may not have thought of:

forgot flowers for the Readers
    the bridesmaids and I stayed overnight at one place and my mom was supposed to drop my suitcase off at the hotel room. She picked them up but somehow didn't drop it off at my hotel room (there was a mixup with that as well, our room was occupied when my parents tried to check in for us).THANK GOD I had packed a small bag with one change of clothes, makeup remover and a couple other things. I was still without makeup, hair brush, or a lot of other stuff, but I could at least leave the hotel the next morning not in my wedding dress or wedding night attire. Make sure you both have something small with absolute necessities that you are absolutely sure will get to wherever you are.

Decide how things like guestbook/cards/any decorations will get taken from the church and/or transported to the reception if in different places
    Same goes for after the reception - how or who will help with teardown (if needed), what happens to the gifts an any decorations that belong to you.

How you will get home from your reception the next day (have someone drive your car over)
    Give the maid of honor or someone a small emergency kit with safety pins, kleenex, tide pens, deodorant - your Fiance probably already has this on her ist. Some unexpected mud and a busted bustle button made me damn happy I had this.

One thing I made up but thankfully didn't have to use was a master list of our vendors and contacts - pastor, photographer, DJ, hotel, florist - anyone you may need to get ahold of on that day. Give copies to parents, Best Man, Maid of Honor.

Write out checks for vendors or anyone who needs a tip. Decide who will hand those out.

This is more for your fiance, but have a "wedding day *****". This is the person who runs interference if a family member or vendor is being a PITA. My maid of honor and a bridesmaid took on this role with relish. I owe them a lot - I found out later about a couple annoying situations that I never knew about or had to deal with because they just took care of it and didn't bother me about it.

I'm sure there's more but this should keep you busy, lol!

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 314
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha Cy View Post
    Being the consummate dude that I am, I'm not worried in the least about having any issues on May 31st. My girlfriend however has "the crazy" about the wedding and is already in major stress mode. I'm ready to show up at the venue downtown in Omaha and wing it for the win. But with that said, I'm a huge planner and like to be ready for unforeseen shenanigans.

I'm curious to know of any "day of" pitfalls that are lurking out there that you may have encountered. Or just in general what the hell to be looking out for, so we're not caught off guard by something at the last minute.

Main points on planned flow of wedding
    -Set up planned for the day before, unless the venue gets a rare booked Thursday event.
    -Photos before hand
    -Short ceremony (6pm)
    -45+ minute social hour between ceremony and dinner (same venue)
    -Cake cutting during social hour
    -Candy buffett unveiled during social hour
    -Kids table with tons of activities
    -Officiant and I square off in big game of Tecmo Bowl around 9 pm
    Alcohol, and lots of it. Before, after, and during if you can wing it (this would seriously impress me).

Also, if you can afford it, an open bar will make you a god for an evening to everyone attending your reception. I told my wife I didn't give a damn about anything else, but we were going to party hard at the reception and get snot slinging drunk. We did, and it was a blast. I actually just had kegs, but it was enough.

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 538
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 2

I'm glad we don't have to set up before ours. The venue does all that.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 681
    Given: 89

I've been at quite a few weddings. Depending on weather, which if you have my luck will be really ******* hot, have a bunch of bottled water and then light eats somewhere. I think I drank about 6 bottles of water the last wedding I was in and that was in November. It was about 75 that day too. I really appreciated that water especially after the night before. Don't drink too much the night before.

It's all snark from here on out

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wartknight View Post
    We had bottled water and snacks/party subs in the basement of the church we were in for the wedding party.
    Also under no circumstances, and I mean none, even if you trust that person with your life, give anyone your car keys for any reason whatsoever or give the slightest hint of where you are spending your wedding night.

this includes house keys. My parents came home to find out their "friends" had broken in through a window, put newspaper and vaseline in the tub, eggs in the rafters, peeled all the labels off their canned goods........not cool. They didn't know about the eggs until the smell showed up.

And seriously, have a mom, parent, VERY trusted friend check into the hotel for you or wherever you are staying. Definitely don't let that info out.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,529
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Great list cowgirl. Those are on the ball suggestions. That night we are staying at the same hotel that our friends and families are. The main reason is that they have a party room where we can open the gifts at the next day. Since neither of our families are from Omaha, we thought this worked best to get us all in the same spot the next day at the main hotel.

I'm going to be a busy beaver the night before and really won't be able to get out and booze, so the hungover factor shouldn't be an issue...but you never know.

As for my what can happen to my car, a buddy from Canada is flying in and will be driving my car all weekend, so it does him no good to fill it full of rolls of toilet paper, or spread anal lube all over the head rests or whatever. My best man and his mom are driving in and very likely staying at our house. We got 2 dogs and 2 cats, so its like free animal lodging, and they wouldn;t pull any crap like that. Outside of my parents and Jean's parents....really no one from our families has been to our house or even knows where its at....so we should be free of post wedding shenanigans.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha Cy View Post
    Great list cowgirl. Those are on the ball suggestions. That night we are staying at the same hotel that our friends and families are. The main reason is that they have a party room where we can open the gifts at the next day. Since neither of our families are from Omaha, we thought this worked best to get us all in the same spot the next day at the main hotel.

I'm going to be a busy beaver the night before and really won't be able to get out and booze, so the hungover factor shouldn't be an issue...but you never know.

As for my what can happen to my car, a buddy from Canada is flying in and will be driving my car all weekend, so it does him no good to fill it full of rolls of toilet paper, or spread anal lube all over the head rests or whatever. My best man and his mom are driving in and very likely staying at our house. We got 2 dogs and 2 cats, so its like free animal lodging, and they wouldn;t pull any crap like that. Outside of my parents and Jean's parents....really no one from our families has been to our house or even knows where its at....so we should be free of post wedding shenanigans.

if family will be at the same hotel, confirm with the hotel that they are putting you in a different floor/region of the hotel. Hypothetically, it would suck a lot to find out that they messed up your room and put you next to your in-laws. Who then saw your husband going into the room to drop off something. And made comments about it. And then have to plead with the hotel person to move you when their hotel is full. Hypothetically, of course.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 681
    Given: 89

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    if family will be at the same hotel, confirm with the hotel that they are putting you in a different floor/region of the hotel. Hypothetically, it would suck a lot to find out that they messed up your room and put you next to your in-laws. Who then saw your husband going into the room to drop off something. And made comments about it. And then have to plead with the hotel person to move you when their hotel is full. Hypothetically, of course.
    Was it a sex swing or what?

It's all snark from here on out