Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 36

Venting about Lucca and UNI fans

Travman and I posted nearly simultaneous blog entries this morning about Lucca and the UNI game...
    Juice blogs » The Cyclones

Crappy 24 Hours by Jerry Hales
    :: November 28th, 2007 :: 10:44 am
    I don’t know if I could be more irate right now. After listening to hordes of ******* UNI fans at the ISU basketball game last night I was ready to go nuts on somebody. Seriously, UNI may have replaced Iowa as the team I love to hate the most. Obviously you’re going to be a little more irritable when you lose, but the fans sitting around me were pouring it on thick. I realize they’ve played second fiddle since Moby Dick was a minnow, but they have been the best D1 basketball team in the state for several years now so you’d think they could act like they’ve been there before. I hope this loss can **** off a few of our players and gets us fired up for the next few games (which will be a struggle just like our last 3). I’m seriously considering shelling out for some Fighting Blue Hen’s of Delaware gear and going to the Unidome to cheer them on over the Panthers on Saturday.

Ok now that I got all that out, this morning the NCAA ruled to “reinstate” Lucca Staiger next season, after suspending him for this year. How they can word it as a reinstatement when they are in fact suspending him for the same length of time as they originally did is Swahili to me. The NCAA is the biggest bunch of money grubbing scumbags the world has ever seen. Of course none of us should be surprised that the NCAA would rule this way, as they would have to admit they did something wrong at least in order to change their ruling. If I were in Lucca’s shoes I would be suing their butts off as an organization and as the individuals that made this ruling. The press release says that ISU is free to “appeal” to another NCAA agency. I’m sure this agency will be mercurial quick in giving us lip service with another “reinstatement” announcement right around the time our season wraps up. The guy that I would really like to hear an opinion from on the situation is Coach Bob Knight. Knight’s hatred for NCAA president Miles Brand is well documented, and just asking him what he thinks of the ruling would give him a great opportunity to rip Brand without having to make it a personal attack. Anybody know Knight’s contact info??

Well, I’m going to take off so I can kick the dog** after the way these last several hours have gone.
    **Note- I am a dog lover and wouldn’t actually kick my dogs, in case any Panther fans were thinking about making my day crappier by reporting me to PETA. However, if I did have a Panther, I would kick the freaking crap out of it.

NCAA Upholds Their Screw Job by Travis Simpson
    :: November 28th, 2007 :: 10:43 am
    The NCAA released it’s latest on the Lucca Staiger situation. It’s not good news Cyclone Fans. Here is the official statement: LINK I love how they spin it as “reinstatement” because he’s still in the same boat as he was to start the season. I’ve already talked about this a few times already so all I have to say this time is that it’s a damn shame the NCAA is denying this kid a chance to play when he personally did nothing wrong. There are currently eligible players at other schools that did the same thing Lucca did that will probably get grandfathered in and be able to keep their eligibility but this is a dangerous precedent to be setting for future recruiting. ISU still has other routes of appeals they can go through although by the time those get addressed the season will be over at the current rate it took them to get to this point.
    On to the UNI game last night that ISU lost 61-48. ISU came out with a bang to start both halves but UNI both times responded with lopsided scoring runs of their own. It also helps to have the “human bulldozer” and actor Eric Coleman able to rack up foul problems on the Cyclone big men while he somehow only had 1 foul himself while mixing it up more than anyone on the floor last night. Wesley Johnson had a nice return for ISU scoring 18 while not being 100% yet but UNI shut down ISU in the paint which was the biggest difference of the game. Craig Brackins sat out most of the first half with 2 fouls and only scored 2 points after coming into the game averaging about 14.5. Hubalek had to sit out a bit too and eventually fouled out.
    One the plus side the Cyclones only committed 7 turnovers which is a big improvement over recent games but they need to work on sustaining their focus and rebounding as they were beat out on the boards 39-28 last night. Inexperience from some the guys that are being counted on to score and handle the ball is something they will have to work through but the obvious lesson learned last night was there is little room for error right now while players learn their roles and learn what it takes to play at this level.

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 9

Re: Venting about Lucca and UNI fans

UNI fans did the same thing at Carver last year. After the dominance Iowa and ISU have had on them, I don't blame 'em. They're excited.

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Walk On
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

My problem with the UNI fans in the section next to me last night was that they were throwing trash and items at lower seats. There were also yelling profanities at players and officials. They weren't as bad once they were told they could be removed from Hilton, though.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CompCy View Post
    My problem with the UNI fans in the section next to me last night was that they were throwing trash and items at lower seats. There were also yelling profanities at players and officials. They weren't as bad once they were told they could be removed from Hilton, though.
    Sec 231? Maybe row 14? A couple of younger kids are arses up there as well.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 11-28-2007 at 12:43 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 91

If I were an unifan(now there's an oxymoron) I would probably act the same way they do!!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

The most annoying fans are those that support teams that are winning.

Least annoying? The opposite.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

Two questions on the blogs:

Jerry - what exactly did the UNI fans do that ****** you off so much? You sound like sour grapes without giving some examples. I personally had fun with the UNI fans I sat around last night. I usually can't stand them, but they were knowledgable and fun during that game.

Travis - Why blame Eric Coleman for his style of play. If he is a flop artist, the officials should be able to see around that. If he is a bulldozer, the officials should be able to see that. I hate the constant conspiracy theory that Cyclone fans have regarding refs going out of their way to screw us over. We may suck right now. But if players play within the rules, we can't ***** about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I agree with Tube1.
    Sweeeeeeet...

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,487
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tube1 View Post
    Two questions on the blogs:

Jerry - what exactly did the UNI fans do that ****** you off so much? You sound like sour grapes without giving some examples. I personally had fun with the UNI fans I sat around last night. I usually can't stand them, but they were knowledgable and fun during that game.

Travis - Why blame Eric Coleman for his style of play. If he is a flop artist, the officials should be able to see around that. If he is a bulldozer, the officials should be able to see that. I hate the constant conspiracy theory that Cyclone fans have regarding refs going out of their way to screw us over. We may suck right now. But if players play within the rules, we can't ***** about it.
    They want us to keep the entries fairly short so people don't lose interest so I didn't go into a bunch of details. I'm guessing that the ones behind me were drunk. Right off the bat they were yelling at me to sit down when I stood up cheering on the second Wesley 3 and the Brackins dunk. For the meat of the game they were fairly subdued, just pointing out our obvious weaknesses with some snide comments and telling us to sit down a few times. For the last 5 minutes of the game we got to hear "GAME OVER!!!" every time anything happened that didn't result in us scoring. Finally, they finished it off with asking each other if they should do it about 10 times and then getting the "Just like football" chant going. Like I said, part of it is that everything pisses you off when you lose, but I just found it odd that they were so giddy to beat us when they were favored and have been the best basketball team in the state for the last 4 or 5 years. That and they looked like a bunch of purple flamers doing their little "Panther Roars".

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by tube1 View Post
    It wasn't the difference in the game but you can't honestly say you think that Coleman didn't flop a couple times or get away with some physical play that we were getting the same kind of play called fouls? It's our home court and we didn't catch a break all night on questionable calls. I think the one that frustrated me the most was when he clearly put his shoulder into Cory Johnson and plowed him over yet Cory got called for the foul guarding him straight up. A few other times Coleman took a charge (if you can call them that) where it sure looked like his feet weren't set but just fell down hard. Yet with as physical and out of control he played at times he managed just 1 foul to Jiri's 5 and Brackins 4? Even Thompson and Johnson got 2 each in limited minutes. I think it was Jiri's 4th that Coleman was the one that was instigating most of the contact when he was trying to post up Jiri before the refs finally had enough and called Jiri for the foul when he wasn't going to have none of it and was playing physical back. I noticed the ref even said something to Coleman before they put the ball back into play after than which I would guess was him warning him possibly?

It was a pretty common theme amongs the observations last night if you read through the posts.

Go Cubs Go!

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    They want us to keep the entries fairly short so people don't lose interest so I didn't go into a bunch of details. I'm guessing that the ones behind me were drunk. Right off the bat they were yelling at me to sit down when I stood up cheering on the second Wesley 3 and the Brackins dunk. For the meat of the game they were fairly subdued, just pointing out our obvious weaknesses with some snide comments and telling us to sit down a few times. For the last 5 minutes of the game we got to hear "GAME OVER!!!" every time anything happened that didn't result in us scoring. Finally, they finished it off with asking each other if they should do it about 10 times and then getting the "Just like football" chant going. Like I said, part of it is that everything pisses you off when you lose, but I just found it odd that they were so giddy to beat us when they were favored and have been the best basketball team in the state for the last 4 or 5 years. That and they looked like a bunch of purple flamers doing their little "Panther Roars".
    Were you sitting in or near 232?

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 614
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CyBobby View Post
    If I were an unifan(now there's an oxymoron) I would probably act the same way they do!!!
    If you were a UNI fan, that would actually make you a HAWK fan since we all know UNI fans are truly HAWK fans. When/If Iowa ever does well in basketball again, there will no longer be UNI basketball fans. Same can be said for football.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,056
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 79

Oh but they'll be dawning their "gay apparel" (purple shirts) against Iowa this year because they know they're gonna win since Iowa sucks worse than us.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    Were you sitting in or near 232?
    I was in 240 but there seemed to be morons decked out in purple on either side of us around the upper deck. What were they doing in your section?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    It wasn't the difference in the game but you can't honestly say you think that Coleman didn't flop a couple times or get away with some physical play that we were getting the same kind of play called fouls? It's our home court and we didn't catch a break all night on questionable calls. I think the one that frustrated me the most was when he clearly put his shoulder into Cory Johnson and plowed him over yet Cory got called for the foul guarding him straight up. A few other times Coleman took a charge (if you can call them that) where it sure looked like his feet weren't set but just fell down hard. Yet with as physical and out of control he played at times he managed just 1 foul to Jiri's 5 and Brackins 4? Even Thompson and Johnson got 2 each in limited minutes. I think it was Jiri's 4th that Coleman was the one that was instigating most of the contact when he was trying to post up Jiri before the refs finally had enough and called Jiri for the foul when he wasn't going to have none of it and was playing physical back. I noticed the ref even said something to Coleman before they put the ball back into play after than which I would guess was him warning him possibly?

It was a pretty common theme amongs the observations last night if you read through the posts.
    I totally agreed with your comments about Coleman in your blog Travis. Throughout the game I had two thoughts going through my head about Coleman: 1) He must have gone to the Arthur Johnson (Mizzou) School of Beat-the-Crap-Out-of-Your-Opponent-and-Get-One-Foul-All-Night. 2) This must be what the Phoenix Suns' "Gorilla" mascot would play like in a real live game...no jumpers for him-that freaking long armed beefcake was crashing into and through everybody on his mission to get to the rim.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    I was in 240 but there seemed to be morons decked out in purple on either side of us around the upper deck. What were they doing in your section?
    We were only in our section for about 5 mins, but they were being loudmouthed morons very similar to what you were describing.