Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 25

Steve Kerr on how to make NCAA men's basketball better

B.S. Report, 4/5/13 - ESPN

Kerr had some great ideas to improve the college game.

-get rid of after basket timeouts since you don't have possession
    -shorten shot clock to 30 seconds (like the women)
    -backcourt 10 seconds count doesn't reset after timeout (could move it to 8 seconds like NBA too)
    -change the after 16, 12, 8, and 4 TV timeouts (e.g. count a team timeout around that mark as the TV timeout like the NBA)
    -get rid of restricted area and favor offensive player going to the rim (punish those sliding underneath offensive player -> e.g. Kraft)
    -also discussed trying to keep teams together longer since it takes time to create great teams (I would propose something like baseball: any HS player could get drafted by the NBA D-League without committing/losing eligibility. They could choose the D-League or a 3 year minimum commitment to college.)

Addict
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 424

Re: Steve Kerr on how to make NCAA men's basketball better

Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post

-change the after 16, 12, 8, and 4 TV timeouts (e.g. count a team timeout around that mark as the TV timeout like the NBA)
    -get rid of restricted area and favor offensive player going to the rim (punish those sliding underneath offensive player -> e.g. Kraft)
    I agree with those I left in, especially the two timeout ideas. Being at a game is pretty terrible when you have 10 timeouts in the first half with 4 TV, 5 Scott Drew and 1 Fred.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

As for the HS to NBA, make it three or drop it. One and done is not preferable to me at all.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 267
    Given: 228

Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post

-backcourt 10 seconds count doesn't reset after timeout (could move it to 8 seconds like NBA too)
    -also discussed trying to keep teams together longer since it takes time to create great teams (I would propose something like baseball: any HS player could get drafted by the NBA D-League without committing/losing eligibility. They could choose the D-League or a 3 year minimum commitment to college.)
    No way the last one happens. Can you imagine if the Pistons for instance got the #1 pick who is better then most on the team and he would have to play D league ball for 2 years before joining them? I guess that is the point so they stay in college. I would feel bad though for players like Norvell Pelle who could play at the next level but are dumb as hell...

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 267
    Given: 228

Quote Originally Posted by NATEizKING View Post
    As for the HS to NBA, make it three or drop it. One and done is not preferable to me at all.
    I would be okay with 2 years though. At least UK wouldnt get 2-5 of the best players every year. Spread out the talent a little bit. Well maybe 2, but not 5.

Addict
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 502
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 117

Have the TV timeouts gotten longer? Seems like they used to be 1-2 minutes and now more like 3.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,383
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 0

Unfortunately college can do nothing about that. Its all up to the employer, which is the NBA.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clone52 View Post
    Unfortunately college can do nothing about that. Its all up to the employer, which is the NBA.
    I didn't know how it worked, but I've had the argument about how one and done is completely worthless many times with friends. The only counter argument I've heard that would make it reasonable is to show that education is important, but really what is one year of college going to do for you when you're taking classes most junior high students could pass.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,383
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 0

I didn't know how it worked, but I've had the argument about how one and done is completely worthless many times with friends. The only counter argument I've heard that would make it reasonable is to show that education is important, but really what is one year of college going to do for you when you're taking classes most junior high students could pass.
    Its an NBA requirement, not a college requirement.

Think of it like this. A company like Boeing is probably going to have a requirement that any engineer it hires must have a BS in engineering prior to employment. Now maybe there is a Freshman is college who would be the best engineer working at Boeing, but as a corporation, Boeing has decided that its not worth the risk to hire engineers with out a degree.

Its the same way with the NBA. Sure, there have been some examples of players coming right out high school and doing well in the NBA, but there are plenty of examples of players who have been busts out of high school. The NBA decided that as a corporation, it wasn't worth the risk. Forcing players to have 1 year outside of high school gives teams an extra year to evaluate players, often against top competition. They certainly don't do it so that the players can get an education. If they ever decide that it would be beneficial to force them to wait 2 years before going pro, they'll change the rule again.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 547
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 27

All it does is prevent exposing NBA GMs for the idiots they are. Rather than drafting Kwame Brown because he destroys high school kids lets force him to play in college for a year so we can see him against better competition.

I have a hard time believing anyone will get the NBA/NBAPA from removing the "year removed from high school" rule but man does it suck for college ball.

Starter
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 6

I like pretty much all of the ideas. With regards to the block/charge, I'd just like to see it go more towards requiring a player to be in a good defensive position and actually trying to guard the guy. These days, it seems like if the guy is going to try to draw a charge, the player has to stand straight up, not move his feet, and let the offensive guy bowl him over. But it gets called a charge if the guy slides in as a guy goes up for a basket even if the defender makes no effort to try to stop him from scoring. Conversely, if the guy is actually trying to play defense, it doesn't matter if it's the offensive guy that initiated the contact, it's always a block.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 503
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 46

Quote Originally Posted by Bader View Post
    All it does is prevent exposing NBA GMs for the idiots they are. Rather than drafting Kwame Brown because he destroys high school kids lets force him to play in college for a year so we can see him against better competition.

I have a hard time believing anyone will get the NBA/NBAPA from removing the "year removed from high school" rule but man does it suck for college ball.
    It also provides the NBA with a year of terrific and free publicity for their future stars. If you jump from the Oak Hill academy to the NBA only hardcore hoop fans know who you are, if you play a year in college and win a title at Syracuse, all of a sudden you have mass marketing appeal. The NBA will never go back to allowing high school kids to go right into the draft.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 503
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 46

Its an NBA requirement, not a college requirement.

Think of it like this. A company like Boeing is probably going to have a requirement that any engineer it hires must have a BS in engineering prior to employment. Now maybe there is a Freshman is college who would be the best engineer working at Boeing, but as a corporation, Boeing has decided that its not worth the risk to hire engineers with out a degree.

Its the same way with the NBA. Sure, there have been some examples of players coming right out high school and doing well in the NBA, but there are plenty of examples of players who have been busts out of high school. The NBA decided that as a corporation, it wasn't worth the risk. Forcing players to have 1 year outside of high school gives teams an extra year to evaluate players, often against top competition. They certainly don't do it so that the players can get an education. If they ever decide that it would be beneficial to force them to wait 2 years before going pro, they'll change the rule again.
    It's shocking how many people don't understand this important point.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    Have the TV timeouts gotten longer? Seems like they used to be 1-2 minutes and now more like 3.
    An ESPN TV timeout is 4:15. WAY too long...

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by LivntheCyLife View Post
    I like pretty much all of the ideas. With regards to the block/charge, I'd just like to see it go more towards requiring a player to be in a good defensive position and actually trying to guard the guy. These days, it seems like if the guy is going to try to draw a charge, the player has to stand straight up, not move his feet, and let the offensive guy bowl him over. But it gets called a charge if the guy slides in as a guy goes up for a basket even if the defender makes no effort to try to stop him from scoring. Conversely, if the guy is actually trying to play defense, it doesn't matter if it's the offensive guy that initiated the contact, it's always a block.
    I think this is similar to my thinking. I'd like to see non-arm/wrist contact by a defensive player forgiven if his movement and/or arms are either straight up or in the direction of the hoop. At that point, it's the offensive player's fault for initiating contact, and he shouldn't be rewarded with foul shots. Then you can get rid of the charge call except in cases where the offensive player clearly shoves the player with a shoulder/elbow/arm/etc. to move the defensive player. Just running into a defensive player standing still (while possessing the ball) would be a no call, especially since it's often just as likely to result in the offensive player becoming off balance.

This would mean a little more physicality in the post, but gets rid of a lot of ticky-tack (Niang with his hands up) fouls and high injury probability (standing still in the lane) fouls. Of course, the NCAA will never do this and instead claim that they're saving players by calling flagrant fouls for elbows, which probably encourage defensive players to stick their heads into bad places rather than protect them.