Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Cellphone Madness

I get irritated myself when cell phones ring during public ceremonies. However, this judge's irritation over a cell phone ringing in the court room was a bit much....

On the morning of March 11, 2005, the judge, Robert M. Restaino, was presiding over a slate of domestic-violence cases when he heard a phone ring. According to the commission’s report, he told the roughly 70 people in the courtroom that “every single person is going to jail in this courtroom” unless the phone was turned over.

A security officer was posted at the door while other officers tied to find the phone, but failed.

A security officer was posted at the door while other officers tied to find the phone, but failed.

After a brief recess, Judge Restaino returned to the bench and asked the defendant who had been standing before him in the front of the courtroom when the phone rang if he knew whose it was.

“No,” said the defendant, Reginald Jones. “I was up here.” The ringing had come from the back of the room.

Nonetheless, the judge scrapped plans to release Mr. Jones, set bail at $1,500 and sent him into custody.

He was the first of 46 defendants to be sent into custody that day because of what could be called the case of the ringing cellphone. The judge opined at length about his frustration over the phone.

“This troubles me more than any of you people can understand,” Judge Restaino said, adding: “This person, whoever he or she may be, doesn’t have a whole lot of concern. Let’s see how much concern they have when they are sitting in the back there with all the rest of you. Ultimately, when you go back there to be booked, you’ve got to surrender what you got on you. One way or another, we’re going to get our hands on something.”

One defendant, according to the report, told the judge, “This is not fair to the rest of us.” To which the judge replied, “I know it isn’t.”

Another told the judge, “This ain’t right.” The judge responded: “You’re right, it ain’t right. Ain’t right at all.”

Link:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/28/ny...d44&ei=5087%0A

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 37

Re: Cellphone Madness

Holy abuse of power batman...

When i was on jury duty last year, they mentioned multiple times to turn off phones, we even had to give them our phone while in private jury meetings.

It is pretty rude not turning your phone off in public places. No one is that important that they need to be reached 24x7.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,172
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 22

Dude must have hated the cell phone ring, it was probably Sweet Caroline.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 101

I was thinking the story was going to end saying it was the judges phone that was ringing...

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

He just cost himself $113K a year. Dumb.

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Just remember, boys and girls, Judges are what Lawyers turn into when they grow up.

A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

A Man Is What He Does When It Counts

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by herbiedoobie View Post
    Just remember, boys and girls, Judges are what Lawyers turn into when they grow up.
    If we're lucky that is. I'm not quite sure what the implication of your post is, but I get the feeling you've got something against attorneys and/or judges. This guy obviously stepped over a line he shouldn't have. You'll have that in any profession. However, you should be damn happy that people are willing to be judges. It is a very difficult and demanding profession.

Here's a thought: go spend 7 years getting an education, spend anywhere from $200,000-$300,000 dollars on said education, spend the next 20 years paying off your loans for said education, then decide to go into public service as a judge. As an added bonus, you get to deal with society's ****-up's on a daily basis. It's really a sweet gig.

I'm in law school. I plan on being an attorney (a damn good one at that) for about 10 years or so, then I hope to be a judge. I must be ******* crazy, because by the time I'll be looking at becoming a judge I'll most likely be a partner making way more than a judge. You basically cut your salary anywhere from 1/10th to 1/2. But hey, it's what I want to do.

Last edited by chadm; 12-01-2007 at 02:51 PM. Reason: edited filter get arounds

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Seth, I'm actually of two minds about the law profession.

I've worked for lawyers, count them among my closest friends, and think that access to a good lawyer is indispensible to living. The fact that our nation has "rule of law" is a "Good Thing".

However, just as I support the police and military, yet remain skeptical of many aspects of those two professions, I also look at the law profession with a certain amount of caution. The potential for abuse is immense, so perhaps I respect the office, but not the person who occupies it, when it comes to judges. Judges are not infallible; they are human, and I disagree completely with lifetime nominations to the SCOTUS, and do not hold them in awe.

But because of our rule of law, it is unavoidable that they gather respect and power. They ARE you and I, when the rubber hits the road.

A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

A Man Is What He Does When It Counts