Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 36

recruiting big men

i dont follow bball recruiting nearly as much as football (which is going to change!), so what i am wondering is why we seem to be targeting only guards? i know with fred's system, we need scorers and i think we will be fine with all the young guys (thomas, morris, SDW etc.), but i cant compehend why we dont try to land a couple big guys for defensive purposes and for rebounding. melvin will be a senior next year, and we will not find another guy like him. a 6'6" guy playing power forward and leading the conf. in rebounding is just plain impressive. imagine if we had a true center and melvin could guard guys his own size and not get into foul trouble. the guy was on the bench ALOT because of fouls. that took away from what his revounding numbers could have been... anyways, i was taking a look at this guy on rivals that could be a pretty good inside player (just needs to bulk up) and it seems like we are in pretty good shape in recruting him. Sean O'Mara - Yahoo! Sports

anyone have some inside info on this kid? are there any other big guys (non JUCOs) that we are looking at for the future?

This is Ophion speaking.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 790
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 29

Re: recruiting big men

He is targeting bigs as well. Obviously guards are a priority in his offense so he's been landing those kinds of recruits so far. I don't know if the four-guard sets he runs is scaring off some of the potential post recruits or not. It shouldnt. Niang is thriving in this offense.

Addict
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 648
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

agreed. i would think a big guy would love this type of offense!!

This is Ophion speaking.

Addict
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 648
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

imagine kelvin cato on this team!! awesome shot blocker and rebounder and can score in the middle. niang could drive and dump it off to him or kick it outside. lucious could drive and dish or throw him the lob for a monster dunk

This is Ophion speaking.

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 788
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Wish we could have gotten Kyle Washingon for this class. It isn't as if the staff isn't targeting bigs, just that they haven't had a lot of luck.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 146

I think if Fred is going to go after a big hard, he will have to be able to shoot. That is pretty rare, and while I'm sure we have been after some the big guy that fits this system is tough to get. That's why Niang is such a huge recruiting hit.

And just because we don't have one tall guy playing the 5, doesn't mean we can't play big. It is just as effective to force teams to play without a center and have our SG, SF, PF average 6'7 in height with agility.

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 199

Quote Originally Posted by demoncore1031 View Post
    imagine kelvin cato on this team!! awesome shot blocker and rebounder and can score in the middle. niang could drive and dump it off to him or kick it outside. lucious could drive and dish or throw him the lob for a monster dunk
    Adjoining the OP's detail, there's no question even a semi-Cato could have provided a significant puzzle piece this season (especially when the team began to seriously gel down the stretch).

But I've reminded myself the following: As 2011-12 commenced, the roster included a "small big-guy" (Ejim), a freshman frontcourt player (Gibson), a soph center with potential (Railey), a transfer big-body with shooting range (Booker) and a "risky" transfer power forward we like to call "Royce White" — but no true point guard.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,377
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

I keep looking at our recruits as they come up hoping that one is 6-11 to 7-2 that we can steal.... But not many seem to be our radar.

i think Fred will adjust to what he has, and adding that dimension to change up a game on a competitor would be awesome.

Prospect
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

The bottom line is a supply and demand issue.

The availability of quality big men is scarce. If you are 6'10, 6'11" or taller then every blue blood school on the planet is looking at you.

Not only do you have the Kansas, Texas and Oklahoma's chasing every 6'10+ body there is but you have the Iowa's, Creighton's, Minnesota's and Missouri's chasing them. ISU more times than not is not going to get the tier 1 quality big man. Which now means ... would you rather have a quality under-sized player like Niang or a plodder like Landen Lucas or Adam Woodberry?

Legend
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 62

Yeah, just can't seem to land any. Which is why I feel Fred will always go the transfer or Juco route for big men.

Quote Originally Posted by AltHawk View Post
    Why would it? One bad game doesn't change a thing. Iowa will still be a darkhorse B1G championship contender, and Iowa State will be lucky to make the NIT.

If you ask the basketball analysts outside the state of Iowa I think you would be surprised to hear their responses. Iowa was pegged as a preseason top 5 team by one ESPN analyst and is ranked in the vast, vast majority of preseason top 25 polls

Addict
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Go State View Post
    I keep looking at our recruits as they come up hoping that one is 6-11 to 7-2 that we can steal.... But not many seem to be our radar.

i think Fred will adjust to what he has, and adding that dimension to change up a game on a competitor would be awesome.
    Adjusted for the population of the country, there are none.

The days of unathletic 7 footers, clobbering each other in the post, are over, unless you're in Iowa City.

Starter
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 329
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Fred will recruit bigs in the future. Fans need to remember over the past two years due to graduation ISU has loss Allen, Christopherson, Lucious, Babb, Clyborn, and McGee. College basketball, especially with CFH's system, is guard centric thus, the emphasis on recruiting shooting and combo guards. Often Fred deploys a 4 game lineup thus there is an even greater need of combo guards. An advantage of Fred's system by having 5 shooters on the floor is necessary, it forces the other team to play small, (KU, OSU and WV were forced to pull their 7 footers in each game). Thus team there is even less of a need of a post presence.
    Also it isn't like ISU don't have any bigs, the last two years our starters was Royce, Ejim, Niang and the backups were Book (top 100 recruit) and Percy. There was no reason to focus on adding another big to the past couple of classes to Play behind those 4, thus once again, the emphasis on skill players. We have two bigs Edozie and Armardi this year, to play behind Ejim, Niang and Percy. There is just no need to focus on another big the past two years to sit on the bench.

I would like a "Cato" type player added in the future and I do think we will see a couple of big time Bigs added soon, there just have been a number of circumstances that demphized the need to focus on traditional bigs really through the next two years.

To answer the OP other bigs ISU has offered in '14 and '15...
    Reid Travis '14
    Abdul Malik Abu '14
    Sean O'Mara '14 (already noted by the OP)
    Alex Illikainen '15
    Henry Ellenson '15
    Chieck Diallo '15

Get one or perhaps two of these to pair with Niang and we are set at the post for years to come.

Pro
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 169

Don't forget Miroslav Jaksic '14. I am high on him. Duke is keeping their eye on him. Watch some video on him, he would be perfect for our system.

Last edited by peteypie; 04-04-2013 at 08:42 AM.
    Ill put any dollar that if I get this ball again, Long said, Its going in.
    - Naz Long to Markel Brown before hitting the game tying shot.

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by wcbsas View Post
    The bottom line is a supply and demand issue.

The availability of quality big men is scarce. If you are 6'10, 6'11" or taller then every blue blood school on the planet is looking at you.

Not only do you have the Kansas, Texas and Oklahoma's chasing every 6'10+ body there is but you have the Iowa's, Creighton's, Minnesota's and Missouri's chasing them. ISU more times than not is not going to get the tier 1 quality big man. Which now means ... would you rather have a quality under-sized player like Niang or a plodder like Landen Lucas or Adam Woodberry?
    This. Have you seen other "big men" we play against try and keep up with our pace.. doesn't work. Fred's offense is similar to the west coast offense in football; speed and shooting make up for size and strength.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 59

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    I think if Fred is going to go after a big hard, he will have to be able to shoot. That is pretty rare, and while I'm sure we have been after some the big guy that fits this system is tough to get. That's why Niang is such a huge recruiting hit.

And just because we don't have one tall guy playing the 5, doesn't mean we can't play big. It is just as effective to force teams to play without a center and have our SG, SF, PF average 6'7 in height with agility.
    Exactly this.....ohio state couldnt have amir williams and ravenel on the court because of the way we play. Teams have to match up with us or we will run them out of the gym. Im ok with strong tough 6'6" and 6'7" post men as long as they play tough....we'll be ok!