Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 743,816, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,373
    Points
    743,816
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 57

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 233,855, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    klamath632's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,372
    Points
    233,855
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 110

    Re: Mailbag: Which newcomers will make an immediate impact?

    A bold strategy on the basketball prediction. Go into the season with no expectations, and then be excited as heck when the team still manages an upper-division finish. I like it!



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 107,822, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,327
    Points
    107,822
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 187

    Re: Mailbag: Which newcomers will make an immediate impact?

    Surprised to see how definitively Richardson has emerged as the QB and Rohach the backup. Is Rohach not looking that good? Or is this just a new PR tactic ... not presenting the media with a QB controversy? I have to think that Rohach is better than he is being positioned right now. Until the Kansas game last year, lots of us had Rohach penciled in for this year.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 155,410, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Cycl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Liberty
    Posts
    6,497
    Points
    155,410
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 3

    Re: Mailbag: Which newcomers will make an immediate impact?

    Disappointed you didn't answer the best question... nathans or hebrew national... tsk tsk tsk.


    I LIEK CHOCOLATE MILK - The Partisan Bat

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Hmmm...I'm not a huge "weiner"
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    "Yeah, Chris' weiner is a way bigger get than mine."

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 82,297, Level: 89
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,453
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    cmjh10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    5,032
    Points
    82,297
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 421

    Re: Mailbag: Which newcomers will make an immediate impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycl1 View Post
    Disappointed you didn't answer the best question... nathans or hebrew national... tsk tsk tsk.
    Neither....

    Oscar Meyer's


    Naz Long, the Cowboy Killer

  6. #6
    Publisher
    Points: 743,816, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,373
    Points
    743,816
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 57

    Re: Mailbag: Which newcomers will make an immediate impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Surprised to see how definitively Richardson has emerged as the QB and Rohach the backup. Is Rohach not looking that good? Or is this just a new PR tactic ... not presenting the media with a QB controversy? I have to think that Rohach is better than he is being positioned right now. Until the Kansas game last year, lots of us had Rohach penciled in for this year.
    I would say a lot has to do with that. I think they have caught on that we (media) has caught on to the QB stuff. I guess we will all see in a few weeks at the spring game.

    Having said that, Rhoads generally doesn't hide much. I am confident that if Grant is pushing Sam in practice, Rhoads will be up front about that. And yes, the question will be asked.



  7. #7
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 12,351, Level: 33
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 299
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    262
    Points
    12,351
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 5

    Re: Mailbag: Which newcomers will make an immediate impact?

    I sure hope Wimberly is our newcomer of the year this year, but the offense has been so pathetic since...well...a long time, and we have so much talent at the RB position I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if he makes a large impact. I'll take 8 more touches for Devondrick before giving them to Wimberly before we see him play a single down.

    GO CYCLONES!!



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 107,822, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,327
    Points
    107,822
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 187

    Re: Mailbag: Which newcomers will make an immediate impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I would say a lot has to do with that. I think they have caught on that we (media) has caught on to the QB stuff. I guess we will all see in a few weeks at the spring game.

    Having said that, Rhoads generally doesn't hide much. I am confident that if Grant is pushing Sam in practice, Rhoads will be up front about that. And yes, the question will be asked.

    Uh oh, did I just disrupt the tranquility of a Spring with no QB controversy? I was really just wondering how Rohach looks because I really liked what I saw from him in last year's Spring game.



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 269,032, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    12,526
    Points
    269,032
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 417

    Re: Mailbag: Which newcomers will make an immediate impact?

    I know he doesn't totally meet the criteria of the newcomer question, but I think that one of the biggest impact "newcomers" of the season will be Dika on the O-line. I really think an offensive line that can compete will make every other offensive group look a heck of a lot better.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 58,315, Level: 74
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    PabloDiablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,472
    Points
    58,315
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 29

    Re: Mailbag: Which newcomers will make an immediate impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Surprised to see how definitively Richardson has emerged as the QB and Rohach the backup. Is Rohach not looking that good? Or is this just a new PR tactic ... not presenting the media with a QB controversy? I have to think that Rohach is better than he is being positioned right now. Until the Kansas game last year, lots of us had Rohach penciled in for this year.
    But at the same time, the situations have been different in the past two years with experience being relatively equal at the big 12 level among the QB's. Now you have someone who has had a fair amount of success against Big 12 competition and knows the speed of the game versus someone who hasn't taken a competitive snap yet.

    Just like last year, SJ and JB were definitively ahead of SR on the depth chart at this time if for no other reason than they had extensive game experience.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 64,132, Level: 78
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arrowheaddrive.com
    Posts
    4,483
    Points
    64,132
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 0

    Re: Mailbag: Which newcomers will make an immediate impact?

    I don't agree with the Basketball, we are back in the tournament!



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 73,179, Level: 84
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,671
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    6,418
    Points
    73,179
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

    Re: Mailbag: Which newcomers will make an immediate impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Uh oh, did I just disrupt the tranquility of a Spring with no QB controversy? I was really just wondering how Rohach looks because I really liked what I saw from him in last year's Spring game.
    I have heard that Grant has a great arm and could be a really good Qb in the future, but right now he is far behind Sam.

    I also believe that this season Rhoads might still give the nod to Grant-- even if he is a half step behind-- if he feels Grant has a much higher ceiling and will be better than Sam in 2014. Let Grant start now because it will be much better for the program over the next few years.

    That's just my hunch/opinion though. Not claiming it as anything else



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 107,822, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,327
    Points
    107,822
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 187

    Re: Mailbag: Which newcomers will make an immediate impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    I have heard that Grant has a great arm and could be a really good Qb in the future, but right now he is far behind Sam.

    I also believe that this season Rhoads might still give the nod to Grant-- even if he is a half step behind-- if he feels Grant has a much higher ceiling and will be better than Sam in 2014. Let Grant start now because it will be much better for the program over the next few years.

    That's just my hunch/opinion though. Not claiming it as anything else


    I like the idea of trying to rally the team behind one QB. It is what Barnett's dad always called for, even if the QB was Jantz, so that the #1 unit can get more reps together as a unit. However, we know that Rhoads isn't adverse to trying to make strategic QB moves.

    Can't wait for the Spring game, especially to watch the QBs.



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 41,356, Level: 62
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    heitclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malvern, IA
    Posts
    4,359
    Points
    41,356
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 80

    Re: Mailbag: Which newcomers will make an immediate impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    I like the idea of trying to rally the team behind one QB. It is what Barnett's dad always called for, even if the QB was Jantz, so that the #1 unit can get more reps together as a unit. However, we know that Rhoads isn't adverse to trying to make strategic QB moves.

    Can't wait for the Spring game, especially to watch the QBs.
    I don't think its so much that CPR likes to make those moves, I think the offense has struggled so much its forced his hand. I could see these 2 QBs battling for the next couple years.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 60,881, Level: 76
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,187
    Points
    60,881
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 30

    Re: Mailbag: Which newcomers will make an immediate impact?

    QB "moves" can often mean you have no QB.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM