Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Negus Webster-Chan Transferring....

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 21s RT @TerezPaylor: Missouri announces that freshman guards Negus Webster-Chan and Dominique Bull have decided to transfer.

we went after NWC pretty hard from what i remember...

Addict
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,355
    Given: 989

Re: Negus Webster-Chan Transferring....

Interesting, I'm sure we'd be on his short list

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,187
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 70

nope..we have better players.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,136
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 147

Quote Originally Posted by ZJohnson View Post
    nope..we have better players.
    I'd take him to play in 2014. Kids transfer and you can never have too many guards.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 762
    Given: 1,121

no room unless ISU has a mass exodus to get both Cosby and NWC.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,136
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 147

Quote Originally Posted by IHavNoCyCash View Post
    no room unless ISU has a mass exodus to get both Cosby and NWC.
    According to a post in the Cosby thread, we're out and he's down to Mizzou and Illinois.

Rookie
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 39

Do you guys still want transfers? At some point, I hope for us to be in position to reload with our own recruits. I think that to continue to rely on and encourage the reputation of being "Transfer U", that it might hurt recruiting. Do I, as a high-school prospect, want to go somewhere knowing there's a decent chance I'll not see the floor freshman year or get bumped down the road by the latest transfer? For example, if we had landed Locket as we all wanted, would that have been impactful to Niang, either in the recruiting process or in his playing time this year? As well as Lockett played for Marquette this year, give me Niang all day.

Just my viewpoint. I love that transfers allowed us to get back to respectability more quickly, but the better programs do not rely on transfers and Jucos. That's where I would like to be.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,051
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by djcubby View Post
    According to a post in the Cosby thread, we're out and he's down to Mizzou and Illinois.

I'm too lazy to go find it, but are we out by our own choice or did he eliminate us? I ask because I know there was speculation that we were interested in Cosby when Bluford had some academic issues that he has since cleared up...

Legend
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 779
    Given: 626

Quote Originally Posted by isu81 View Post
    Do you guys still want transfers? At some point, I hope for us to be in position to reload with our own recruits. I think that to continue to rely on and encourage the reputation of being "Transfer U", that it might hurt recruiting. Do I, as a high-school prospect, want to go somewhere knowing there's a decent chance I'll not see the floor freshman year or get bumped down the road by the latest transfer? For example, if we had landed Locket as we all wanted, would that have been impactful to Niang, either in the recruiting process or in his playing time this year? As well as Lockett played for Marquette this year, give me Niang all day.

Just my viewpoint. I love that transfers allowed us to get back to respectability more quickly, but the better programs do not rely on transfers and Jucos. That's where I would like to be.

Absolutely bring em in. Dont load up an entire team of them, but if talent is out there, snatch it up. Would be stupid not to.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,051
    Given: 11

Certainly it would be great to continue to bring in elite high school talent, but transfers are as much of the college game at this point as high school recruiting. I think Fred's philosophy (and correctly so) is to bring in the most talent he possibly can. Whether that is a shooter from Wisconsin, a PG from Detriot, a big from Boston, or a transfer from who-knows-where, if they can play we will take them.

KFitzy87

If anything... Lockett signing would have cut down on Tyrus' or Bubu's playing time... Not Niang's.

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 636
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 52

Transfers are like free agents in the NBA. High school recruits are draft picks. You generally know exactly what you are getting with a free agent. You have hopes for your draft picks, but some don't pan out.

Hoiberg I think knows this and has commented that they won't shy away from transfers. If we have an open spot and a need, he'll take a look.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,203
    Given: 3,796

I get what you are saying, but most impactful freshman who should be playing major minutes or starting have the swagger to believe that they are going to play no matter who else a coach brings in. Keep in mind that Niang took away the starting role from a 5th year senior. If a player isn't one of those, he would only be starting because the team doesn't have anyone else, not because he is ready to start.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 139
    Given: 267

Transfer are a part of CBB. 500+ kids decided to transfer last year. If you're not considering a few transfers, you're ignoring a big part of CBB, and a 2nd way of building your team. I'm not against adding ~2 per year, if we have the space. You can usually only play 7-9 guys, and having talent on your "scout" team isn't a bad thing.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,818
    Given: 171

To ignore the source of potential talent that transfers offer would be stupid. It's a matter of seeing the state of college basketball for what it really is.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum