Received: 436
    Given: 75

Defensive 2 deeps for 08

Okay, here is my amateur look at the defense:

RE- Parker, Lyle
    NG- Black, Frere, Tate
    DT- Johnson, Weir, Alburtis
    DE- Taylor, Kellman

I listed allot of people here because allot of people are going to play. This is the one area, above all others, that I hope we can add a JUCO or even true freshman difference maker to play immediately, especially on the interior. Black is going to have to step in right away and be the man in the middle, Frere looked better this year than his freshman year, but I am not sold on him being a starter. I feel good about Taylor with Kellman as his understudy at DE. The rush end spot needs to get a more consistent pass rush, I am not sold on Lyle or Parker being able to get it done. Taylor was the most consistent at pressuring the QB from his DE spot, which is not a good thing as the rush needs to come from the other side. Johnson has some talent at the DT spot, but desperately needs to add size for next year, and Weir didn't show much in his first year with the program. This position group next year will determine whether or not we go to a bowl. The secondary was made to look much worse than they actually were due to the lack of a pass rush.

SAM- Bibbs, Mathis
    MIKE- Smith, C Bell
    WILL- Raven, Garrin

This is an intriguing group of young talent, not a senior in the bunch. With the exception of Smith, who is a MIKE all the way, the rest of the group could play any of the three spots, which is going to make for an interesting battle. Bell and Mathis give us a couple of guys with not only speed, but size to go with it. We have had some good backers recently, but we haven't had a 'full sized' backer since Tim Dobbins. Bibbs is a freakish athlete, and was playing as well as if not better than Banks was before he got dinged up. Raven is another guy who can fly and showed a real mean streak towards the end of the year. Smith is very solid, and great against the run. It is going to be fun watching these guys fly to the ball next year. Garrin brings experience plus speed, and needs to make a statement in 08. Expect to see all 6 of them on the field to keep them fresh, as there is minimal drop off from first to second team. The good thing is that is a result of an abundance of talent, not a lack of it.

CB- Bell, Sandvig
    SS- Smith, Matthews
    FS- Brown, Johnson
    CB- Singleton, McDowell

This is a group that took allot of heat this year, much of which was undeserved. Given enough time, WR will always get open vs a DB. That was too often the case this year as a lack of a pass rush lead to DB's being stuck on islands vs WR's. I've said it before, and will say it again, Bell and Singleton next year will be the best set of corners we have had since Hobbs and Jackson. and have the potential to be better than that. Bell is a burner with great size, and Singleton is the big hitter. McDowell and Sandvig are both solid back-ups, provided Sandvig can get back from the knee injury. Smith and Brown are undersized at safety, but make up for it with big time hitting ability. Both need work on pass coverage though. Depth at safety is a big concern. Matthews bring great size to the position, but can he cover the pass? Safety is number 2 as far as JUCO need, IMO. However, if this group can stay relatively healthy, they will be great at corner, and solid at safety. Expect to see Sandvig cross-trained between safety and corner. A solid group, but depth is shaky.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,182
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 22

Re: Defensive 2 deeps for 08

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post

CB- Bell, Sandvig
    SS- Smith, Matthews
    FS- Brown, Johnson
    CB- Singleton, McDowell

I've said it before, and will say it again, Bell and Singleton next year will be the best set of corners we have had since Hobbs and Jackson. and have the potential to be better than that.
    I don't think that they were a set togther, I believe you are thinking of Hobbs and Hicks. Either way it will be nice to have a secondary with a good deal of expierence that should only get better.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Nope, I was thinking of Hobbs and Jackson in 04.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

I'm not sure the heat the secondary took was undeserved. Early in the season, I liked Bell. As it wore on, I felt he was not playing up to his potential or at least up to what he had been hyped up to be.

Safeties I felt got much better. I love Chris Brown and Smith did well in his first full year of playing back there. Singleton was Singleton - not too flashy but mostly consistent.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Nope, I was thinking of Hobbs and Jackson in 04.
    In 04, Jackson was the Nickel Back and the Hobbs and Hicks were teh everydown Tandum.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ajsp View Post
    In 04, Jackson was the Nickel Back and the Hobbs and Hicks were teh everydown Tandum.
    No, they were not. Hicks was his first year in the program from JUCO ball, and was the nickel back. Jackson and Hobbs were the starters.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

However, if this group (DBs)can stay relatively healthy, they will be great at corner, and solid at safety. A solid group, but depth is shaky.
    Exactly. If there's a serious injury here, the defense will be in a world of hurt (unless a newcomer can step up)

Also hope a DT can try to fill Tuba's big shoes to plug some holes.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ajsp View Post
    ^^^ This is wrong...

No, they were not. Hicks was his first year in the program from JUCO ball, and was the nickel back. Jackson and Hobbs were the starters.
    ^^^ This is correct...

Hicks didn't start until he was a senior opposite Jackson.

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,182
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 22

This appears to be correct. I saw one place that he started at CB, but after looking at it again that game we started with 5 CB's. I always liked Hicks though, espically in whatever senior bowl he was in he and got that INT and I believe he is on the Detroit practice squad.

Did Deandre ever get a chance at another level, or was his knee to messed up?

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Sorry my bad...I was wrong...

Starter
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 868
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1

DL will be the Key

I like our LB & DB corps. Seem to have a lot of kids that played some this year and pretty good quickness.

I like 2 see a major improvement at 2 positions:
    1) We need to find a stud pass rusher from the DE position. I thought Taylor showed some flashes this year, but I was a bit disappointed in Parker. He just doesn't seem to make enough big plays for an undersized DE.

2) A shut down cornerback. Singleton made some big plays, but it appeared he also had trouble in coverage at time. The same can be said for Bell, but I can't remember many big plays from a guy who was pretty highly touted from the JUCO ranks.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 517
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 13

I see some decent returning starters as well as some good possibilities for filling the open spots.

What I would really like to see are 2 or 3 surprise starters from next year's class who are too good to keep off the field. I like Chizik's goal of recruiting over existing players and making each class better than the previous one.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,468
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Personally, i felt the heat the secondary took was warranted. If you watch the game closely, it seemed as if both cb's played very tentative and soft. In the tampa two, our corners were exposed for what they are, average at best. I don't care if you have all the speed in the world, if your technique stinks, so will your coverage. I realize additional pressure could change a lot of things just like good coverage creates more pressures. But, i saw neither, and i'm not hatin...I agree our pass rush minus rubin will be takin a serious hit, and taylor in my opinion was the only player that actually applied pressure without a blitz. That's where we were exposed, we blitzed a lot, which by the way, i'm a fan of, but, if your gonna blitz, you better be able to cover for at least 10 yards we couldnt. Did you realize in the Kansas game that they only completed two balls thrown more then 15 yards in the air? those long plays came out of short routes and athletes that took it the distance.

In their defense, i thought the defense played very well considering the field position and sometimes the time of position they faced. How many 3 and outs did our offense get that eventually put our defense in a position where they werent even rested...

On a very positive note:
    Shep did wonders with our team - i could see a difference in stamina and strength and that will only improve as our team is built through the program.

Our teams penaltys were reduced greatly, thats a sure sign of discipline and coaching and helps on both sides of the ball with field position.

Our defense will be very fun to watch in the upcoming years as Chiz and staffs guys are worked through the system...remember, this was a complete shift in philosophy and we didnt have senior leadership within the program that could help the young guys...they were learning the system at the same time!!!!

I'm so excited for Feb 6th first day of signing period for HS players....2008 spring game like 138 days away!!!!!!

Last edited by KMAC_ATTACK; 11-29-2007 at 09:54 AM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 50

Speaking of Lamarcus Hicks, he's been getting some playing time for the Lions the past few weeks. I spotted him on Thanksgiving. Never gonna forget the one he took to the house against Iowa.

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

What ever happened to Adam Carper this year?