Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 39

Re: Excited about next year's team?

I looked up KJ Bluford to see what this guy can do from long range. He's definitely a volume shooter, and probably very streaky. He had some monster games from long distance. Stat lines like 7 of 11, 7 of 14, 6 of 10....and then had some games that went 1-9, and 1-12. Had a share of 3-6 or 4-8 games as well.

It all added up to 37.3% which would have fit right into the Clones rotation of the typical shooter on the team.

KJ Bluford | #20 | G | Northeast Community College - Iowa Community College Athletic Conference

I'm not trying to compare this guy to McGee, and I'm sure there will be a transition period adjusting to D1 basketball. McGee dramatically improved his shooting percentage in his 2nd year on the team, and ISU has had an elite long distance shooter the last 2 years. I got a suspicion Hoiberg will continue to churn out at least 1 big time shooter each year.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Scotty Christopherson improved his 3 point % under Hoiberg in both seasons as well. It appears he was already money going back to his Marquette days(small sample size though), but his free throw shooting went off the charts when Hoiberg arrived.

Baab's 3 shooting went through the roof as did Ejim this year. Ejim however shot worse FT %. Babb improved drastically at the line. Really leads me to believe that ISU won't be hurting for points anytime soon, as Fred really fine tunes shooters.

No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 205
    Given: 183

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha Cy View Post
    I looked up KJ Bluford to see what this guy can do from long range. He's definitely a volume shooter, and probably very streaky. He had some monster games from long distance. Stat lines like 7 of 11, 7 of 14, 6 of 10....and then had some games that went 1-9, and 1-12. Had a share of 3-6 or 4-8 games as well.

I'm not trying to compare this guy to McGee, and I'm sure there will be a transition period adjusting to D1 basketball. McGee dramatically improved his shooting percentage in his 2nd year on the team, and ISU has had an elite long distance shooter the last 2 years. I got a suspicion Hoiberg will continue to churn out at least 1 big time shooter each year.
    That is what is so crazy about McGee and his percentage going up so much under Fred. Usually you do not see volume shooters (taking some bad shots) shoot such a high percentage. Bodes well for the future. If someone like Bluford or SDW can be like McGee from 2011-12, it would be huge for next year's team.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 80

Nothing against the new guys but none will be Tyrus McGee, that's not all bad though. As great a shooter as Tyrus was there were times that, thats all he brought to the table. I loved Tyrus and he filled his role great but replacing his role doesn't HAVE to be defined by 3 pt shooting. I don't think we're a lock to have more talent next year than this year but we have a very good chance to be a deeper team. Make no mistake Tyrus was a sparkplug by design, Fred will find whichever of the new guys can give us points off the bench. That's why unlike a lot of ppl around here i think Bubu starts, with one of the young guys coming off the bench with an unlimited green light. Maybe not to just shoot 3's but give us energy and points.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 194

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Would not surprise me if he got Long and Okoro confused.

Or SDW? His hops are amazing. He puts on a show before Cap City games.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by heitclone View Post
    Nothing against the new guys but none will be Tyrus McGee, that's not all bad though. As great a shooter as Tyrus was there were times that, thats all he brought to the table. I loved Tyrus and he filled his role great but replacing his role doesn't HAVE to be defined by 3 pt shooting. I don't think we're a lock to have more talent next year than this year but we have a very good chance to be a deeper team. Make no mistake Tyrus was a sparkplug by design, Fred will find whichever of the new guys can give us points off the bench. That's why unlike a lot of ppl around here i think Bubu starts, with one of the young guys coming off the bench with an unlimited green light. Maybe not to just shoot 3's but give us energy and points.
    McGee is EASILY one of my all time favorite Cyclones, however there is some truth to your post. On a buckeye forum they asked if Tyrus was such a great shooter why didn't he start? I can think of 3 reasons. Lucious, Clyburn, and Baab.

I don't think anyone here ever looked at him like a distributor so he wasn't a candidate to be a true 1 guard. Clyburn's size and ability really gave ISU a unique scoring option as he was another forward but moved like a guard. And while Tyrus was a big energy guy and led the team in steals per game, he's not viewed as good of a defender as Babb. I also thought it was wise to use Tyrus off the bench, because as the best 3 point shooter on the team you wanted his legs fresh late in the game to get his shots up. Maybe that's over-rated thinking on my part, but analysts often say that a tired player doesn't have as good of form and lift on his jumper.

I think Tyrus was a VERY well rounded player, and man he could get to the rim on the drive. As prolific as a 3 point shooter as he was, there were other players who were equally good at something else. He'll be missed for sure, but there's reason to believe more good ballers are coming in.

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 954
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 37

I've heard that Okoro is a good defender and that he really likes that role and has that mindset. Bubu may not be our best option to start at pg but I believe he plays pretty good defense. Hogue is supposed to be a good defender as well. I'm not sure about the D that the freshmen come in and play with, but what about Naz? Has anyone heard about his defensive ability? Or SDW? While I know we'll miss Babb, I feel like we have a few guys that can play some good defense at the top of the key. The fact that we'll be deeper will also keep their legs fresh to allow for more energy spent on D.

Obviously interior defense may need improvement as well, but I know Georges will be working hard this off-season, Ejim is a good defender and rebounder down there, Amardi (sp?) is supposed to bring some size and athleticism down there as well. Hopefully Percy really works this off-season too.

The more I think about it, and how deep our team is, I don't see us taking any kind of a step back next season. Hopefully the new guys can step in and produce. I know they're eager for the opportunity.

In Fred We Trust

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Bubu kind of big for a guard in general? 6-2 I think? Seems to me his size certainly helps him as a defender, and he's not a "plodding along" guy with the ball in his hand. He's not lightning quick by any means, but the guy can get to the hole a few times a game...and that was in limited minutes.

We learned this year Bubu is a pretty decent situation player. Lets see what one more offseason of development creates for him.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha Cy View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Bubu kind of big for a guard in general? 6-2 I think? Seems to me his size certainly helps him as a defender, and he's not a "plodding along" guy with the ball in his hand. He's not lightning quick by any means, but the guy can get to the hole a few times a game...and that was in limited minutes.

We learned this year Bubu is a pretty decent situation player. Lets see what one more offseason of development creates for him.
    I love what Bubu brings to the table. I really do. But, if he's playing big minutes next year at point guard, like in the 20-25 minute range, it's going to be a long year. I hope Morris or Long get the lion's share at point for development purposes.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 62

As excited I am for Morris and Thomas, I think that SDW might have the best year among the three of them. I know Morris and Thomas were higher rated recruits, but I really think a year in the program gives SDW a big advantage over them. I can't wait to see all three of them next year

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 9

From Hoiberg's second year to next year the 6 guys I have been most excited for are probably:
    1. Royce White
    2. Will Clyburn
    3. Sherron Dorsey-Walker
    4, 5 and 6 is a tie between Niang, Morris and Thomas.

There is something about SDW that I am extremely excited for.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 603
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

I think SDW could be a victim of Lucca syndrome. I think he's going to be a good player, but won't have the impact Niang had this season. I hope SDW/Thomas can combine for 20/gm.

I don't bring my own opinions, just attack others.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 205
    Given: 183

Quote Originally Posted by jahfg View Post
    I think SDW could be a victim of Lucca syndrome.
    What is that?
    A good portion of the board being excited to see him play and optimistic about his future in the program are hardly lofty expectations. Hell, there is not even a consensus that he will start or see a ton of minutes.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by jahfg View Post
    I think SDW could be a victim of Lucca syndrome. I think he's going to be a good player, but won't have the impact Niang had this season. I hope SDW/Thomas can combine for 20/gm.

That suppose to be points or minutes?

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 603
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    What is that?
    A good portion of the board being excited to see him play and optimistic about his future in the program are hardly lofty expectations. Hell, there is not even a consensus that he will start or see a ton of minutes.
    Lucca syndrome is when a player keeps getting better and better even though none of us have seen them play. I'm excited for SDW and I said as much. I would say the majority of posters have SDW as a starter and a significant contributor. I think he can average 10 points/gm, so I am in that majority. I'm just noticing how his profile seems to be improving around here. With 7 months of offseason, there's no telling how good he could be by the start of the season.

To the other poster, I am referring to a combined 20 points/game.

I don't bring my own opinions, just attack others.