Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 510
    Given: 80

Offensive 2 deeps for 08

Well, I thought I would get some ISU sports talk going. Here are my predictions for the 2 deeps going into our first game next year.

QB- Arnaud, Bates
    RB- Alexander, Bass
    FB/HB- Catlett, Ekwelundu

I really think Arnaud is the man for the future at QB. The fact that Bates got no time against KU at QB really tells me that the staff feels the same way. Bates will be the back-up here, but I think the staff will try to fast track Jordan or Tiller to free bates up to be used other places on the field. Alexander needs to make the step from good young player to go-to performer.

WR- Hamilton, Sumrall, W Franklin, Graham, Messaih (Bates?)
    TE- C Franklin, Catlett

Hamilton is our every down receiver, as I could see him getting a 1k yd season. His combination of size and hands really reminds me of Mike Williams. He and Arnaud already seem to have a rhythm. The next 4 receivers on the list will split time fairly evenly, IMO. W Franklin needs to have a big off season in the weight room, as we need him to provide a deep threat. He was frustrated having to sit behind Blythe all year, so hopefully he can step out of his shadow in 08. Bates is the wild card. If we develop a back-up QB that the staff has confidence in, Bates will be on the field at WR nearly every down, ala Meier from KU. If not, Bates will have to be more of a situational guy, which is no good, as the defense will key on him. I am really excited about C Franklin at TE. We haven't had a TE before with his combination of size and speed. The question is can he block? Catlett will move from HB to TE when we run out of a 2 TE set.

RT- Baysinger, Lamaak
    RG- Lamaak, Schmelling
    C- Alvarez, Johnson
    LG- Stephens, Osemele
    LT- Dedrick, Hulbert

Yes, the oline battle next year is going to be interesting. I think Baysinger is a star in the making, so he gets the nod at RT. Lamaak is too good, however, to be left on the sideline, so he slides inside. He has more of a guard's type body anyway. I think Alvarez is moved to center, and will stay there as Arnaud's center for the next 3 years. The staff has mentioned him as being a very smart player. Stephens and Dedrick are both very good, and KO is another young star in the making on the offensive line. Blaes, Klerekoper, and Pinkelman could all figure in here as well. A wild card will be Cedric Mack. If he commits, he definitely figures in the 2 deeps on the oline somewhere. As I look this over, I can't help but be very excited about our offensive line. There are allot of big, athletic guys completing for playing time. This has the makings of our best line in a long, long time.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Offensive 2 deeps for 08

Looks like we're a little thin at receiver. Hope GC & crew can round up a couple of JUCO guys to fill in the gaps...

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

The O line really looks like it could be good. Interesting that it's only taken GC a couple of years to do this. Imagine what it could look like in year 3.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Catlett in the mix for starting TE actually. Seemed to play well there in place of Barkema at times this season.

Go Cubs Go!

Rookie
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Nedrick View Post
    Looks like we're a little thin at receiver. Hope GC & crew can round up a couple of JUCO guys to fill in the gaps...
    I believe we have Derron Montgomery as well; he was pretty heralded coming out of South Garland HS in Texas...hopefully he's making strides as I believe he'll be a redshirt sophomore next year. Houston Jones is developing (although will probably not see significant playing time), and Alex Sandvig will be coming off of his redshirt year.

Last edited by j_crow; 11-27-2007 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Addition

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

I'm not a big fan of the J-word. I think we've relied on them too much in the past and I'd rather a guy be here 4-5 years (5 with ther RS) than a stop gap at 2 years unless they really are game-changing kind of players.

Go Cubs Go!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 36

Christian Graham will find time at WR. He is a Juco coming in and has the tools to compete from Day 1. Watch his video on Rivals...very impressive.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 431
    Given: 271

Yeah, could be thiner than we usually are at receiver, yet I think we're still ok. I think Messiah will be a bigger factor than some expect. Loved what I saw from Catlett this year - can't wait to see the further progression of him into the H-back/TE role.

I was pleasantly surprised with our line play this year, especially later this season. We did some things scheme wise to help us out and Robinson emerging definitely helped our passing game with teams needing to key on him.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 431
    Given: 271

Quote Originally Posted by j_crow View Post
    I believe we have Derron Montgomery as well; he was pretty heralded coming out of South Garland HS in Texas...hopefully he's making strides as I believe he'll be a redshirt sophomore next year.
    Yes, he's still here. He was one of the guys involved in that incident before the season. Will see if he can straighten up and get out of Chizik's doghouse like McDowell was able to do.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by j_crow View Post
    I believe we have Derron Montgomery as well; he was pretty heralded coming out of South Garland HS in Texas...hopefully he's making strides as I believe he'll be a redshirt sophomore next year. Houston Jones is developing (although will probably not see significant playing time), and Alex Sandvig will be coming off of his redshirt year.
    I hope that Derron Montgomery can get some playing time become one of the top guys. Also Houston Jones has seen very limited action, maybe 1 catch so far, but maybe he can step up the next couple of years.

With Catlatt it will be interesting to see what he does, he would be good at TE, but I really like what he does with lead blocking and catching out of the backfield. Either way he will be a big player in the future. I would also put Mansfield ahead of Ekwelundu.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227

I'd be VERY surprised to see Lamaak move from the RT spot.

Starter Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I don't know if i would expect much from Montgomery. Last time I heard he was behind some walk-ons on the depth chart, guys like Joel Zitek and Matt Scribbins. I think Graham will find his way on the field and contribute. Wallace can fly...but he is just too undersized. I think Mansfield comes back from the broken ankle and starts over Eck, and Catlett moves to TE and starts over Franklin. Also, so much could change on the OL its hard to predict. I hope Alvarez is better than Brandon Johnson, but I think he backs BJ up next year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227

I hope Alvarez is better than Brandon Johnson, but I think he backs BJ up next year.
    I don't think you redshirt a JUCO player unless the guy ahead of him is clearly better. I agree with you here as well.

Rookie
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    The O line really looks like it could be good. Interesting that it's only taken GC a couple of years to do this. Imagine what it could look like in year 3.
    The great thing is that our O-line is still very young (in that they still have plenty of time left at ISU)...out of snowcraig's hypothetical 2-deep we'll have:

2 Freshmen
    3 Sophomores
    1 Junior
    3 Seniors

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,405
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the J-word. I think we've relied on them too much in the past and I'd rather a guy be here 4-5 years (5 with ther RS) than a stop gap at 2 years unless they really are game-changing kind of players.
    I agree and disagree Trav....I think a juco or two in certain areas are exactly what you need.....remember, when Chiz took over, the athletic aspects of our skill players was IMO last in the big twelve even below that of Baylor....i think we got an early x-mas gift in Arob....he is explosive and he will only get better, it will be hard for bass to get time as long as Arob does not fumble... We need game changing wr that can come in and play immediately to upgrade the talent around either AA or Bates....otherwise expect a lot of the defense you saw against Kansas, 8 in the box and no deep threat....However, i am a huge fan of Graham....this kid if as advertised will be an impact receiver and will suplant Sumral as the #2 before opening day....Sumral is a great #3, perfect zone read first down guy....Hamilton and Graham have big play potential, we'll see......we need Deryn Bowser.....JUCO stud....

http://jcfootball.scout.com/a.z?s=87...=1&nid=3061479

With the line....so tough, but, i've been saying for a long time that Big Trey is going to be a beast...but i disagree with his position....this guy is big and athletic, true left tackle prospect....he will supplant Dedrick.....and don't be surprised if KO is in the mix as a starter either....this guy is huge, and would make a great guard.....
    RT- Dedrick
    RG- Lamaak/KO
    C-Johnson
    LG-Stephens/KO
    LT-Big Trey....

Need a couple of secondary people with size and speed as does everyone, we just need one to pan out for a change.....

Jucos IMO are not the long term fix or solution, but, did you see the LSU game last week, who caught their final touchdown....Demetrius Byrd, we we're recruiting him last year.....IF LSU recruits jucos what makes you think we shouldnt...i think that if were able to get some quality players through the JUCO ranks that help to turn the program into CHIZ's vision and then begin to replace these juco players with HS players, we've accomplished exactly what he wanted...HS is always better because they are here for 4-5 years....But, if you can't get a quality athlete to commit, please don't simply take a lesser athlete just to get a player....our talent level is not there to allow our coaches to implement their system fully, but, when it is, we will all be much happier, a win against Iowa is not a super season....but it does make the discussion a lot more enjoyable!!!!!!!!