Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 352,413, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,865
    Points
    352,413
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 1

    Wireless Network Question

    Since I installed wireless in my house, I get lots of interference on my phone.

    Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this?


    Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 336,980, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,904
    Points
    336,980
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

    Re: Wireless Network Question

    That's a new one...no idea.

    I suggest going to the websites for your wireless router and phone manufacturers. See if they have a troubleshooting section there or even better - a discussion forum.



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 65,077, Level: 79
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,373
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonesrule91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Waukee
    Posts
    4,933
    Points
    65,077
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 99

    Re: Wireless Network Question

    I had somebody tell me once that if you have cordless 2.4 Mhz(orGhz)phones that they can be a problem for your wireless signal and vise versa.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 177,290, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    snowcraig2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    7,381
    Points
    177,290
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436
    Given: 75

    Re: Wireless Network Question

    Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    Since I installed wireless in my house, I get lots of interference on my phone.

    Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this?
    They both run on the same frequency. The easiest way to fix this is getting a 5.8 mghz phone. Otherwise, you can try adjusting the channel settings on your router and / or your phone to space out the current frequencies as far as possible.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 126,977, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tim_redd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    7,393
    Points
    126,977
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 50

    Re: Wireless Network Question

    There should be an option to change the channel your wireless router uses. Sometimes that helps.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 352,413, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,865
    Points
    352,413
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 1

    Re: Wireless Network Question

    Quote Originally Posted by tim_redd View Post
    There should be an option to change the channel your wireless router uses. Sometimes that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    They both run on the same frequency. The easiest way to fix this is getting a 5.8 mghz phone. Otherwise, you can try adjusting the channel settings on your router and / or your phone to space out the current frequencies as far as possible.
    Thanks, guys. I'll give it a shot.


    Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 352,413, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,865
    Points
    352,413
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 1

    Re: Wireless Network Question

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    That's a new one...no idea.

    I suggest going to the websites for your wireless router and phone manufacturers. See if they have a troubleshooting section there or even better - a discussion forum.
    Nice idea, 22, but you know what kind of dorks frequent discussion forums.


    Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

  8. #8
    Burgermeister!
    Points: 359,570, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TykeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    22,928
    Points
    359,570
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 512

    Re: Wireless Network Question

    Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    Since I installed wireless in my house, I get lots of interference on my phone.

    Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this?
    Get a different phone What's happening is that the network is using the same frequency that your telephone is using (2.4ghz?) and you're getting interference.



  9. #9
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Wireless Network Question

    Quote Originally Posted by TykeClone View Post
    Get a different phone What's happening is that the network is using the same frequency that your telephone is using (2.4ghz?) and you're getting interference.
    Does the phone have multiple channels. Most of mine do (2.4) and I haven't had any problems.

    Maybe just try different channels on the phone?



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 386,972, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,797
    Points
    386,972
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 389

    Re: Wireless Network Question

    Change the frequency on your access point/router. I had the same problem at my house with the Linksys I had at the time. Its an easy fix and should only take you a few minutes to resolve.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 352,413, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,865
    Points
    352,413
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 1

    Re: Wireless Network Question

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Does the phone have multiple channels. Most of mine do (2.4) and I haven't had any problems.

    Maybe just try different channels on the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    Change the frequency on your access point/router. I had the same problem at my house with the Linksys I had at the time. Its an easy fix and should only take you a few minutes to resolve.
    My phone doesn't appear to have multiple channels.

    I will tinker with this Linksys router as soon as I kick my 3 yr. old off the computer upstairs.


    Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

  12. #12
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Wireless Network Question

    Are you sure the problem is caused by wirless interference and not interference on the actual wire? I would try putting a DSL filter on the line that plugs into that phone first to see if that is the problem. Then try messing with the frequency. Unless you've already tried that, then nevermind.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 452,603, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,719
    Points
    452,603
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 36

    Re: Wireless Network Question

    Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    Since I installed wireless in my house, I get lots of interference on my phone.

    Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this?

    Try changing the channel on your router. It is in the config, I had to change mine because the micorwave killed it.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 336,980, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,904
    Points
    336,980
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

    Re: Wireless Network Question

    Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    I will tinker with this Linksys router as soon as I kick my 3 yr. old off the computer upstairs.
    Well, you bought a Linksys, that's a good thing (IMO).

    I have Linksys wireless router. Very easy to change settings on it and make your wireless network secure (if you have not done so already).

    Linksys has a great website for help/troubleshooting/discussions.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 352,413, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,865
    Points
    352,413
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 1

    Re: Wireless Network Question

    Quote Originally Posted by burtonjk View Post
    Are you sure the problem is caused by wirless interference and not interference on the actual wire? I would try putting a DSL filter on the line that plugs into that phone first to see if that is the problem. Then try messing with the frequency. Unless you've already tried that, then nevermind.
    Yep, the line is already filtered. The problem arose just this weekend when I installed the network, so I'm guessing that's the problem.

    Consensus appears to be I should change the router channel.


    Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM