Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 182

Areas of Improvement for Next Year

We lose a lot of experience next year, so the returning players will have to improve their game. Here are some areas which I would like to see improved for each player:

Ejim: Continue to improve his outside shooting, ball handling, and finishing drives. He appears to be a work horse so I have no doubt he will increase his strength and be an even better rebounder/defender.

Niang: Needs to replace fat with muscle to increase quickness, strength, defense, and endurance. The rest of his is hard to criticize as he's such a complete player already.

Bubu: Slow down a bit and not rush into difficult situations which will lead to turnovers. In 2011-2012, he made 5/11 3-pointers (45.5%). I don't expect him to shoot that high as he took very few shots that season and I think his suspension caused a regression in this aspect of his game.

Gibson: As with Niang, replace fat with muscle. He needs to learn to make better decisions re: when to pass out of double teams and when not to try shooting over bigger/taller defenders. I would be happy if he would toughen up and just concentrate on blocking out an rebounding.

Long: Has the frame to play but haven't seen enough to judge his ball handling, shooting, or decision making. I wish he had tried to play the point when he came in instead of shooting the ball the first chance he got.

SDW: No idea where he is at other than he has put on muscle. I'm assuming his shot has improved since high school with a year under his belt on the practice squad. I would be happy if he helps with ball handling duties a bit and is a thread from the 3-pt. line. In effect, we have three good guards starting their first year of college ball.

Okoro: Difficult to gauge based on limited appearances. Appears to have a decent stroke from the outside and is definitely built. I would love it if he dons the mantle of Babb and becomes a lock down defender.

Feel free to add your thoughts.

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,160
    Given: 2,020

Re: Areas of Improvement for Next Year

Here' my thoughts:

Ejim: Consistency on the outside shot. He shot 35% on ~70 attempts this year. Would be nice for him to shoot better than that on 100+ attempts next year. Work on the handle and quickness enough to play the 3 in spots next year. Work on playing defense without fouling. Getting his minute from 28 mpg to 33 mpg would be huge.

Niang: Play defense without fouling. Be ready for the offense to run through him next year.

Bubu: Really just needs to make up for the lost months on suspension. Work on his shot, we'll need all the shooters we can get next year. Getting the game to slow down a bit more is a good idea too.

Gibson: Play with passion and fire, on both ends of the court. Hopefully he learned some of that from the departing seniors, he's a big key for next year.

SDW: Play as hard as Tyrus. I think he's perfectly suited for the scoring spark off the bench, since he can score in so many different ways. One of the things that made Tyrus so good off the bench is the intensity he played with. Hopefully SDW can pick up a little of that.

Legend
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,649
    Given: 782

Very difficult because who knows who our team will be next year, but I'll give it a shot.

Niang - conditioning and less fouls

Ejim - Hold on to the ball

Bubu - at least hit the rim on three point attempts, don't break ankles on juke moves

Gibson - Play a flute, it's the only way to wake up snorlax

Only ones I can tell so far.

RANDOM THOUGHTS THREAD HATE CLUB OFFICIAL MEMBER

Speechless
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 605

These replace fat with muscle observations are a little funny. I think they may be built that way. If they were guards, I may be more worried.

Niang is 6-7 245.
    Percy is 6-9 260. RW size.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 514
    Given: 707

To all: Work on what Fred and staff tell you to work on during the off season

I don't have anything to add after that.

Ill put any dollar that if I get this ball again, Long said, Its going in.
    - Naz Long to Markel Brown before hitting the game tying shot.

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

The obvious one 1 word that everyone on the team needs to work on; DEFENSE!

It's the 1 thing that was the difference in a lot of close games we lost this year. We showed we can play good defense in the ND game but that kind of effort has to be shown every night. Can't assume that we will just shoot every team out of the gym, some nights the 3's aren't going to fall and the only way to compensate is by working harder on the other end of the court and stopping the other team from getting easy layups and wide open jumpers like we do way too often.

Go Cubs Go!

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 261
    Given: 796

Agree with CYdTracked. Get these guys a bit better at D, cut down on some turn overs, keep doing what you do on O and the rest should take care of itself.

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 878
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 182

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    These replace fat with muscle observations are a little funny. I think they may be built that way. If they were guards, I may be more worried.

Niang is 6-7 245.
    Percy is 6-9 260. RW size.
    Just basing it on observation, plus on how much Niang changed his physique even in high school (based on videos of him). I think he realizes that this is an area in which he needs to improve and have no doubt that he will (especially his conditioning).

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

DistrictCyclone

I think Ejim's post play could be improved. It doesn't seem like he goes up strong with the ball sometimes and as a result, has it stripped away often. I am not sure he can make up for it with finesse like Niang, so he needs to use his hands like a vice grip and just squeeze the hell out of that ball.

As a team, our interior defense has frustrated me at times; I thought our zone looked pretty decent, but when playing man-to-man it seemed like we wouldn't move our feet very quickly and guys would find their way to the basket fairly easily.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 208

Quote Originally Posted by Psiclone View Post
    Just basing it on observation, plus on how much Niang changed his physique even in high school (based on videos of him). I think he realizes that this is an area in which he needs to improve and have no doubt that he will (especially his conditioning).
    While I agree with you early on in the season, do you really think that was the case at the end? I certainly don't. He never really looked out of shape to me the last 6 games or so.

Keepers of the Faith -- Member

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Georges became very smart on defense in the last four games....just wanted to point that out...

Melvin will be shooting more three pointers next year....mark it

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 645
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 24

I think our defense gets an undeserved bad rap. IMO this year we played a different defensive style than what we have been used to. Under McD, Tim Floyd and LE we were trying to play a lock down defense that stopped opposing teams from taking as many shots. We wanted more shots than the opposition and disruption of their offense. Under Fred this year our goal was to get out and play up tempo. The easiest way to do that was after a missed shot. So we were stressing rebounding and having our opponents take lower percentage shots. We tried to lock down their best scorer, (usually put Babb on him) and make other players shoot, then grab a rebound. Our goal was acheived except in cases like KU where Johnson had unusual shooting nights, or when Pledger went off at OK and Mclemore at Lawrence. The other thing we wanted to limit was runouts, which led to a high percentage layup. I thought we did that for the most part too. I think the defense we played this year was suited to the personnel we had and acheived its main goal of the other team scoring less, but not necessarily shooting less.

The weakness with this years defense is of course in close games where stops determin the outcome. We did not have a K. Cato or Royce White for those situations. If another one comes to ISU we may see a different defensive strategy.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Last 90 second game strategy. Need a Strategy 440 course for all.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 705
    Given: 503

I agree with the above posters who talk about defense. Our guard defenders had problems keeping opposing ball handlers out of the lane. They were able to get dribble penetration and find an open man inside for easy baskets.

The other problem I saw with our defense was defending the pick-and-roll. Typically the man guarding the picker would play off the pick and allow the dribbler defender to slide underneath. The pick would then take him down into the lane on a moving screen that never got called, and the other team would get an easy shot, or the secondary defender would come up to stop the ball, and the pass would go to the roller for a dunk.

I would love to see improvement in these two areas.

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 645
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 24

Our coaches were aware of what was going on. Korie Luscious is not built like E. Johnson. Bubu played better D but this was Korie's year so long as he wasn't hurt. I am not sure we always wanted to risk him getting hurt. We did not have a deep bench especially before Bubu came back. Personnel issues sometimes limit what you can do. I think we will play differently with different personnel.