Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 31

Last shot by ISU

With only half a second left and the length of the court to go, it's unlikely ISU was going to get off a great shot in any event. But surely we could have come up with something better than a 70-foot (blocked) heave. Seems like you've got to take a chance inbounding the ball the length of the court to get a closer look, or perhaps even draw a foul.

Having said that, I couldn't be prouder of the team and the way they represented ISU. I've always loved Cyclone basketball, but this season was one of the funnest teams I've ever watched, night-in and night-out.

All-Star
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 13

Re: Last shot by ISU

Time could have just as well ran out. It was definitely not ideal but I think pretty much everybody had checked out in disbelief by that point. Plenty of worse things happened in the final moments than that one..

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
    With only half a second left and the length of the court to go, it's unlikely ISU was going to get off a great shot in any event. But surely we could have come up with something better than a 70-foot (blocked) heave. Seems like you've got to take a chance inbounding the ball the length of the court to get a closer look, or perhaps even draw a foul.

Having said that, I couldn't be prouder of the team and the way they represented ISU. I've always loved Cyclone basketball, but this season was one of the funnest teams I've ever watched, night-in and night-out.
    A foul does you no good.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 655
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    A foul does you no good.

How do you figure? If ISU is fouled before the ball is in play, they're shooting two free throws. Make the first, intentionally miss the second, and see what happens.

If ISU is fouled after someone catches the ball, it's a chance to be fouled in the act of shooting a three, or even pulling off a four-point play.

All I'm saying is that the chances of either of those situations occuring are much better than the odds of making a 70 footer.

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 743
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

Before someone comes in and says, "THERE'S ONLY A HALF SECOND LEFT, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?" let's stipulate that it's an enormously difficult situation, if not impossible. To hit a game-tying three when starting from the opposite end of the court with only a half-second remaining would have been borderline miraculous. We all know that.

But knowing that, you have to run a play that gives a guy a legitimate chance to get some kind of shot off. With only a half second remaining, you won't even have time to catch, wind up, and toss from 75 feet away. You have to find a guy who can shoot it rather than throw it, because that takes less time. So you're looking at getting the ball at least to half court. It just looked like a play that wasn't well designed or well executed.

I'm under no illusion that even the best executed play has an even 10% chance of working in that situation. It is, as I said, a near-impossible position to overcome. But we've had a few end of half or end of game situations this year where I've said to myself, "Really, that's the best shot we can get, or best play we can run?" Whether it's an execution issue or coaching issue, it is something worth examining.

Last edited by Trice; 03-25-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

Granted we all know it was a little after the buzzer now and 1.6 instead of .5 seconds, but Jamie also took TWO dribbles. I was puzzled why we didn't at least TRY a baseball throw inbound from the other end?

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 655
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Trice View Post
    Before someone comes in and says, "THERE'S ONLY A HALF SECOND LEFT, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?" let's stipulate that it's an enormously difficult situation, if not impossible. To hit a game-tying three when starting from the opposite end of the court with only a half-second remaining would have been borderline miraculous. We all know that.

But knowing that, you have to run a play that gives a guy a legitimate chance to get some kind of shot off. With only a half second remaining, you won't even have time to catch, wind up, and toss from 75 feet away. You have to find a guy who can shoot it rather than throw it, because that takes less time. So you're looking at getting the ball at least to half court. It just looked like a play that wasn't well designed or well executed.

I'm under no illusion that even the best executed play has an even 10% chance of working in that situation. It is, as I said, a near-impossible position to overcome. But we've had a few end of half or end of game situations this year where I've said to myself, "Really, that's the best shot we can get, or best play we can run?" Whether it's an execution issue or coaching issue, it is something worth examining.

Exactly. The odds were low in any case, but you want to give yourself the best opportunity you can.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 37

How do you figure? If ISU is fouled before the ball is in play, they're shooting two free throws. Make the first, intentionally miss the second, and see what happens.

If ISU is fouled after someone catches the ball, it's a chance to be fouled in the act of shooting a three, or even pulling off a four-point play.

All I'm saying is that the chances of either of those situations occuring are much better than the odds of making a 70 footer.
    I would call them a wash. Heaves to mid court are always tipped around and fouls are never called. That's not to mention the player has their back to the basket. I'll take the guy at 70 foot moving toward the basket over the guy at 50 with his back to it with .5 left.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,213
    Given: 116

Quote Originally Posted by Erik4Cy View Post

Granted we all know it was a little after the buzzer now and 1.6 instead of .5 seconds, but Jamie also took TWO dribbles. I was puzzled why we didn't at least TRY a baseball throw inbound from the other end?
    Lol that was so long after the buzzer, still cracks me up. Imagine the **** hitting the fan if it was Creighton taking that shot and not us, the servers housing CF would melt.

Addict
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 333
    Given: 3

Honestly, I think we got close to the best shot we were going to get. If you throw the baseball pass the length of the floor, the catch is going to be contested, and is going to be with your back to the basket. To expect someone to jump up, gather the ball, turn around and shoot in .5 seconds is unreasonable. No chance it could have happened.

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 6

Yeah, pratically no chance there (pretty much like winning Powerball), but that ball has to be thrown down the court for there to be any chance.

It is tough for players and coaches to recover from the dagger that Craft stuck in their hearts in that situation.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

In situations like these, I like the NBA rule that you can take the ball at half-court assuming you have a timeout. Makes saving timeouts worth it.

Pro
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,108
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 100

I was hoping for a baseball throw to the groin of the guy guarding the inbound. Still a loss, but at least it may have helped all of our groin shots not hurt as much.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 243

That shot was also after the buzzer ... but no TV replay. Not gonna happen with .5.

Rookie
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 6

I liked Booker's body language at the end of that video.