Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

This season was a tremendous success

I know it has been a rough season. I can't remember any basketball season where I felt like I was kicked in the gut so many times. But when sitting back and looking at it, I feel pretty damn good about things. I have been following ISU basketball since I was a wee lad back in the early 80's, and while I enjoyed many teams we have had in the past, I have never felt as positive regarding the future.

College athletics are a business, similar in some regards to MLB. Strange comparison, eh? But it's true. Parity is closer than ever, to some regard, but it's no secret that the top programs have the most money to play with. Want some numbers? I hope so!

Top basketball budgets (in millions):
    Duke 13.8
    Louisville 13.3
    Kentucky 12.3
    Maryland 10.9
    Marquette 10.3

In the Big 12 the numbers go as follows, down to ISU:
    Kansas 9.5
    Oklahoma 8.4
    Texas 8.2
    Baylor 5.9
    OSU 5.6
    WVU 5.3
    KSU 4.9
    ISU 4.6

That 4.6 million dollar operating budget places ISU on par with Northwestern and Nebraska, the lowest budgeted Big 10 teams. Hell, Iowa rolls with a 5.6 million dollar budget to deliver their product.

You can see that money is not a guarantee to success, but it surely can help with the right staff in place. Given where ISU is in budgetary standings, I would consider making the tournament in any year a success, considering we have the 61st highest budget in college basketball, only two teams spend less than us in our conference, and many teams we compete with geographically (namely the Big 10) spend considerably more than us.

Reading a thread about us having a National Championship in the next decade got me thinking about this. Is it possible? Sure, anything is possible. But to give us a viable shot of competing for top talent, this program has to make more/spend more. Our athletic facilities are good, but far from premiere. Our athlete housing is meager compared to the lush facilities basketball players are given at other high-end campuses. These are the x-factors in our recruiting process. Yes, CFH is a lure, and a damn good one. But when these players, 18 year old kids, see these other campuses we are at a disadvantage.

I am happy with where the program is and where it is heading. But to realistically look at ourselves as a basketball powerhouse, the numbers need to change. You can't expect to be a top end program while running on a low-end power conference budget.

There are things we will never change, location and weather being a few, but imagine what our program will be with a budget even in the top 25 colleges. I see this as a inevitable step if we really want to compete for 5 star talent. It will also be an inevitable step to keep our coaching in place for the long term, as even if Freddie is fine with his salary, keeping great assistants will take more financial flexibility.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 20

Re: This season was a tremendous success

Quote Originally Posted by Falselife View Post
    Iowa rolls with a 5.6 million dollar budget to deliver their product..
    Were they making money up until this year?

Also, Bill Self's salary is about 1/3 of the KU budget.

PS: good info - thanks

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Recruit
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    Were they making money up until this year?

Also, Bill Self's salary is about 1/3 of the KU budget.

PS: good info - thanks
    Iowa made 3 million in the 2011 season, so even last year they were still profitable. I think they struggled a bit the previous seasons, but even then they operated in the black, albeit not by a wide margin.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 774
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 30

Duke spends 13.8 and to my mind have two of their most blah teams the last two years.

That still gets them sweet sixteen (elite 8 after taking out Michigan State) but they'll go down the next game.