Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 72

One more TV question?

Yesterday at the office, some of us guys were talking about TV's and some of the good deals this weekend. One of the guys starts talking about how all the brands make two different versions of the same model of TV. One model is for the Travvis TV type of stores and the other model is for the Walmarts, Sam's Club, and other discount stores out there. He then goes on to say that he was looking at a Sony surround sound system at Sears vs Travvis and they were almost $200 difference and that was Travvis lowering his price quite a bit. The Travvis salesmen told him if you look on the back of the TV or surround sound, the serial numbers will start with different letters(numbers) and they are built different. I told him he fell for the sales pitch from Travvis since you should get the same Sharp Aquos(or whatever model) from Travvis as you would Walmart. Anyone have any experience with this one?

I wanted to tell him it appeared as if he got stung by the stupid bee when he bought the surround system but figured I better know for sure first. Thanks in advance.

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 487
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

Re: One more TV question?

I have never heard that before, I know that electronic stores generally sell higher quality TV's and such, but nothing as extensive as what you are saying.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

I don't know the actual answer, but a good rule of thumb, If a salesman tells you something, it's probably wrong.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

As much as I hate to feed the beast Wal-Mart they do have some decent brands there on some things. I bought my Sanyo flat tube TV there a few years back (it is HDTV ready too if I ever want to order the programming) and the price for the same kind of TV at the time no one else could touch.

Go Cubs Go!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,432
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 72

Well the way the whole conversation started was he was talking about his brother buying a Visio 42" LCD TV for such a great deal when it originally sells for around $2,000. I told him he was full of it because I am hoping to get a Visio 37" soon and looked at Sam's Club on Saturday and the 42" was under $1,000 or slightly above maybe. That put him into the spiel about TV's being built different by where they are intended to be sold.

He also said that Scott's pro fertilizer that you can buy in the Mom & Pop hardware stores is much better fertilizer then the Scott's pro you buy from Menards. I have worked in the fertilizer business for quite a few years and fertilizer is pretty much fertilizer except for the time released encapulation covering that some of it comes with.

I think he is naive......

Rookie
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 234
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

I can tell off hand sometimes its true about them making the same product but two versions of it. I know when i was looking for a tv a few years back i went to a mitsubishi dealer and best buy to look at what i thought were the same tv but it wasnt the case. The lens in the tv were actually much bigger in the tv from the dealer so u cant always compare apples to apples.

Cyclone State Now & Forever

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 176

I agree, I believe his bought what the guy was feeding him. I really like Travis Audio/Video, but never good to hear a salesperson using this kind of tactic.

If it would've been me, I would have told the guy "I think I will go check, I'll be back later today" and see what he said. Most likely, wouldn't have been much.

Especially when I returned with proof that he was full of it.

You don't need to look at the back of the TV to see the model number. Those are printed on the ads and on the display cards next to the TVs in the stores.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 35

Nope, this is 100% false. For instance, Sony will make different lines, but they are just that different. They will make the K line the S line and the XBR line. They do not sell the XBR at sams club or walmart. The XBR line will have better components and better technology, but it is also more expensive. They will reuse some of the parts in each line, but there are differences.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775