Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 26

A couple of stories from the NCAA wrestling tourney

Went for all the sessions this Thursday-Saturday. moved down from nosebleed seat to just behind some Penn State fans and we talked. One asked if it was true that ISU was going to drop wrestling like they had been told by some Iowa fan in Buzzard Billys between Thursdays sessions....I laughed and said no, I didn't know what the Iowa fan was smoking but that our coach just had his contract renewed thru 2015. They just laughed. This story came up later again when one of their numerous other fans showed up and chimed in that he too had heard the Iowa fan say that. One asked if ISU wrestlers still had the robes to wear at meets, noticing KYVEN Gadson's DAD's ISU ROBE DRAPED OVER THE BACK OF THE CHAIR DURING HIS MATCH. I said not that I had seen in recent yrs.

ANOTHER STORY HAPPENED TO ME AS I WAITED TO GET ON THE ELEVATOR TO GO TO 4TH FLOOR for 200 and 300 level sections. A young punk Iowa fan , seeing my ISU shirt and hat, yelled out "Does Iowa State still have a wrestling program?" As I was the last to get on the elevator after the handicapped people got on, standing in the middle of the door way as it closed, I said to him " YES WE DID, AND SINCE IT TOOK AN ISU WRESTLER IN DAN GABLE TO GET THEIR PROGRAM GOING, THAT EVERY TIME THAT PENN STATE WHIPS YOUR *** IN WRESTLING, THANK ISU for CAEL SANDERSON .
    THE LOOK ON HIS FACE WAS PRICELESS, SMILING AT HIM AS THE ELEVATOR DOOR CLOSED , NEVER TO SEE THIS PUNK AGAIN.

I later told this to the Penn State guys that let me sit with them in a much lower seat and they laughed at the punk's ignorance and stupidity. Most of the Penn State guys were in their 60's and 70's and knew quite a bit of history about ISU wrestling, one asking if Nate Carr had wrestled for ISU. I said yes he did but din't remember when it was probably late 60's to mid 70's I thought. Did notice I thought I heard Nate's name mentioned as one of the trophy presentors at one weight class. I was thinking Nate was a wrestling coach back East at some school but didn't google it to confirm.

Not totally pleased with our wrestling at Nationals, but felt we exceeded expectations and most of Iowa's wrestlers fell below expectations, except for St. Johns. The Brands brothers made their usual ******* presence known with their usual antics.

U of OWA ... HOME OF THE FERENTZ "LOW RENT" GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF MORAL TURPITUDE ....THE LEADING UNIVERSITY of SELECTIVE ETHICS......PROUD TO BE ETHICS-FREE, INTEGRITY-FREE .
    NO INTEGRITY, NO "I" IN OWA
    CAN YOU TELL I LOVE THE U OF OWA

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,200
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 41

Re: A couple of stories from the NCAA wrestling tourney

I hope our recents students and alumni realize wrestling just isn't a tradition at ISU; it's more like in our DNA and we need to get back in contention

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Prospect
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The elevator doors apparently take a lonnng time to close at Wells Fargo. ;-)

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 18

Was at the tournament for all the sessions as well. We were seated with Clones, Iowa people and the most annoying of all Minnesota. I hate to admit it but I did cheer for Iowa in some of the matches. In our section the Iowa people were actually really good people. They weren't annoying and yell TWOOOOOO when they took down there opponent. Minnesota however got very annoying. If they had a wrestler out there they thought they needed to chant his name or something stupid. Most of all they felt the need to stand up and cheer whenever an Iowa guy lost or someone they didn't like. So it became a challenge to the rest of us to cheer whenever a Minnesota guy got beat.

"Its time to roll up our sleeves, put on our hard hats and go to work together"

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 832
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CySmurf1 View Post
    The elevator doors apparently take a lonnng time to close at Wells Fargo. ;-)
    iT DIDN'T TAKE VERY LONG TO SPIT THIS OUT, cause they were still jockeying the lady's wheel chair around behind me and I was more out than in till they had her set

U of OWA ... HOME OF THE FERENTZ "LOW RENT" GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF MORAL TURPITUDE ....THE LEADING UNIVERSITY of SELECTIVE ETHICS......PROUD TO BE ETHICS-FREE, INTEGRITY-FREE .

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 37

Do you and Jamby go to these events together?

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 85

Nate Carr was at ISU in the late 70's/ early 80's. I believe he owned the "most wins" record for a short while with 117. Got to see him wrestle when I was an undergrad and worked some of ISU's wrestling camps with him and several other greats.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 98.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 885
    Given: 195

I'm just wondering why all the effort was expended in explaining all that history to a meathead iowa fan when a simple nut punch would have sufficed.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 832
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    I'm just wondering why all the effort was expended in explaining all that history to a meathead iowa fan when a simple nut punch would have sufficed.
    REALLY I thought quickly I could let him learn an extensive swear word list especially cultivated for sqwalks, but there were too many witnesses arould, so I played it cool and just nicely said what I did say. You could tell it cut him down too by the expression on his face

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

I was also seated around a bunch of Iowa fans (pretty close to scott34), and I was very suprised how well behaved they were. We talked with quite a few, and they were not there to cheer against ISU except in the head to head matches. The MN fans were horrible and very annoying. Although the MN fans loved to cheer against Iowa every match. I even clapped for the Iowa guys, and that says alot. It was a Great tournament, and I was there for all 6 sessions.

Here is a picture of Kyvan heading out to his match wearing his Dad's robe from the 70's. Kid has alot of heart and it got my eyes watery just thinking about the emotions that he was feeling heading out to the mat. He will be a beast in the up and coming years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1364079662656.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	19284

Last edited by redrocker; 03-25-2013 at 07:41 AM. Reason: grammar

2009 FLHR - Vivid Black

I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 68

Nate Carr Sr is a Baptist minister in Georgia, I think. Listened to him at Fanfest on Friday doing semifinals preview. He is pretty funny.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,014
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I sat in the Iowa section, and they were very courteous. The cheered on ISU except when wrestling Iowa, and it was awesome to see us all cheering for UNI.

the state pride for our sport is getting stronger I believe as fewer are taking the sport for granted.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 68

I sat with some Minnesota fans and "State of Michigan" fans and had some New Yorkers behind me. We had a great time and all were freindly. Had a great time at Nationals.

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 506
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by redrocker View Post
    I was also seated around a bunch of Iowa fans (pretty close to scott34), and I was very suprised how well behaved they were. We talked with quite a few, and they were not there to cheer against ISU except in the head to head matches. The MN fans were horrible and very annoying. Although the MN fans loved to cheer against Iowa every match. I even clapped for the Iowa guys, and that says alot. It was a Great tournament, and I was there for all 6 sessions.

Here is a picture of Kyvan heading out to his match wearing his Dad's robe from the 70's. Kid has alot of heart and it got my eyes watery just thinking about the emotions that he was feeling heading out to the mat. He will be a beast in the up and coming years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1364079662656.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	19284
    This was the case that I experienced in Omaha 3 years ago. I still remember all Iowa and ISU fans booing Cael whenever he took the corner for Penn State. Honestly, I think most Iowa wrestling fans (not the DBs that don't follow the sport, but follow Iowa; this is an important distinction), respect ISU (and most ISU wrestling fans do the same for Iowa) outside of the head-to-head matches. At least, that's always been my experience.

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Starter
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 3

Enjoyed the tourney with my Iowa fans, as always. Even more this year since we wrestled so well. I also found the Iowa fans around me and at the bars whom I didn't know to be very complimentary of ISU. Most all congratulated me on ISU's effort. I find it highly (highly) coincidental that the guy spewing Iowa hatred in his sign line also seemed to be the only fan having issues with Iowa fans at the tournament. Funny how that seems to work.