Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 976
    Given: 529

The Transfer Era

The hiring of Fred Hoiberg shocked Cyclone Nation. It seemed 75% of Cyclones were against the hire, while 25% put all their faith in Jamie Pollard. Who could blame the non-believers? Fred Hoiberg had never coached a game before and, only working for the NBA, had no recruiting experience, except for when he was in high school. Pollard found Rhoads, a man who had passion for the Cyclones, create a bowl team after one of the Cyclones worst football seasons ever. Passion became Pollards key ingredient, and he found passion with Hoiberg. After just a short dinner with Hoiberg, he discovered that Hoiberg already had planned out how he would improve Iowa State, from his style of play, to bringing in Big XII talent. But Hoiberg was going to be on a leash as is…if he failed as a coach in his first few years, he knew he would likely never coach again. And it all started with an idea that had never been tried in college basketball before. It was a risk that had never been done tried in college basketball, something that would be questioned by fans and analysts all around the nation. Just as much as fans questioned the Hoiberg hire, they questioned his movement that he started just weeks after becoming the new head coach of Iowa State: The Transfer Era.

Negative
    News
    Positive

March 11, 2010

McDermott announces Marquis Gilstrap will not be returning to Iowa State.

March 12, 2010

Everyone’s favorite Cyclone, Craig Brackins, leaves early to play in the NBA.

April 13, 2010

Beloved Cyclone Justin Hamilton, filling a much loved center position, announces he is transferring to be closer to his Utah home...so he went to LSU.

April 15, 2010

Word breaks out that extremely talented, yet troubled player Chris Colvin will transfer.

April 20, 2010

Dominique Buckley transfers to Toledo.

April 26, 2010

After the four most disappointing seasons after the Orr Era, head coach Greg McDermott leaves Iowa State for Creighton. Iowa State fans start wondering where Iowa State will go for their next coach: Billy Gillispie? Gregg Marshall? Surely, the search would take a week to find the new coach if the program wanted to ensure it would start heading in the right direction.

April 29, 2010

Hoiberg is officially announced as the next head coach of Iowa State basketball. Many fans were shocked, but Pollard expressed confidence in Hoiberg, saying: “Based upon his personal experiences, Fred is better equipped and positioned than anyone to take the reins of this program."

May 3, 2010

After an assault charge, Charles Boozer announces he is leaving Iowa State.

May 5, 2010

Great high school player Alex Dorr leaves Hoibergs team to play D2.

May 19, 2010

Iowa State lands Penn State transfer, Chris Babb. The reason he transferred is still unknown, but he quickly became a Cyclone favorite on the court for his hustle and defense, and three point shooting. The ladies also love him for his looks. Babb wants to coach someday…could he be a Cyclone again in the future?

May 25, 2010

Hoiberg announces promising Cyclones LaRon Dendy and Antwon Oliver are leaving the program.

June 17, 2010

Rivals 4-star recruit Anthony Booker transfers from Southern Illinois to become part of the Hoiberg regime. Booker was loved and hated by the fans at times, but in the final weeks, Booker was loved by all for his hustle and hard-working attitude starting at senior night.

June 22, 2010

Jake Anderson transfers from Northern Illinois for Iowa State. Anderson was able to play right away as a senior since he graduated at Northern Illinois and had an immediate impact. Despite not playing in the post-season, there is no doubt Anderson kept this team from being the TCU of 2010-2011

July 12, 2010

Troubled Minnesota transfer Royce White comes to Iowa State. This brought much criticism –surely Hoiberg can’t bring in all these troubled transfers and expect them to remain civil – they’re barbaric! There’s a reason they were kicked off the team! Wrong. Royce White, while in Ames, was the definition of respectable and loved by the crowd. He proved his doubters wrong.

August 20, 2010

Iowa State lands the sharp-shooter that fits Hoibergs style perfectly. Michigan State transfer Chris Allen became a Cyclone after being kicked off his former team team. Chris Allen only played one year as a Cyclone, but became a fan favorite for his clutch play and becoming a hot player by the end of the year.

September 21, 2010

One of the best three point shooters in the nation, JuCo star Tyrus McGee, commits to Iowa State. In his two years, he became a fan favorite for his phenomenal shooting ability, constant hustle, and wonderful trash talking.

October 13, 2010

Morehead State transfer John Lamb comes to Iowa State as a preferred walk-on. His shooting skills were just as great as Tyrus McGee’s, but that was about all he had going for him.

March, 2011

Sometime during this month, John Lamb was released from the team, but there was no public reason because he was a transfer, not a player, for the 2010-2011 season. It was likely drug-related issues that forced him to leave the team.

March 2, 2011

Korie Lucious transfers from Michigan State to lead the point for the Cyclones for one season. In his one year, he became one of the hottest players on the court and was hard to stop when he had the ball in his hands.

April 12, 2011

Will Clyburn transfers from Utah to Iowa State for his final season. When he was on, he couldn’t be stopped and could score from anywhere on the floor. He was Hoibergs first “go-to” guy in his three years of coaching.

March 21, 2012

Royce White announces he will leave Iowa State to enter the NBA.

March 23, 2012

Freshmen Tavon Sledge and Jordan Railey leave the program.

Hoiberg took over a depleted team; a team that would take MOST coaches at least 5 years to rebuild and make post-season worthy. But Hoiberg tried something new – the transfer method. By year 2, he was in the postseason. People, not just Iowa State fans, started falling in love with the program. Hoiberg took misfits and made them work together. He took a program that would’ve finished in the bottom half of the Missouri Valley and made sure they were as respected when he coached as the program was when he played.

During this era, Hoiberg has signed 4 rivals top 150 recruits, not including Custer, who is not yet rated. The program has changed. No longer will we be watching starters for one or two years and calling it good. We will now get to grow with Hoiberg’s Army. Hoiberg completely changed the program and he is in a new process of changing the program again. The future is bright. But the last two years will be remembered forever by Cyclone basketball fans. But one thing is for sure:

The Transfer Era is over, and we will never see something like this again.

Last edited by ISUCubswin; 03-24-2013 at 04:36 PM.
    CF Big Brother Winner Season 1

CF Amazing Race Winner Season 1*

Future CF Survivor Winner Season 4

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 320
    Given: 247

Re: The Transfer Era

I guess I don't remember John Lamb at all

"Some programs don't want to win. It's okay."
    -Poster on hawkeye lounge after the hiring of Hoiberg

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 15

I think we'll see transfers though. Just not 4 or 5 at a time.

I loved it. I loved that kids came here and became Cyclones. I loved that if they were unhappy they couldn't leave :)

I wish that we had all of them for longer, but it was fitting that a program that was on their last legs was saved by a bunch of kids who transferred here.

A lot of players have had a special place in my memory, but I will remember Chris and Korie and Will and Tyrus and Anthony for a long time.

DistrictCyclone

I disagree with one thing, which is "no longer will we be watching starters for one or two years and calling it good".

I think we'll be seeing plenty of one-and-dones so long as the eligibility requirements say the same.

Addict
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

I hope we keep taking the occasional transfer. Might as well make one of the negatives of the sport a positive. The transfers have been VERY good to this program in recent years. Very little trouble and lots of positives on the floor.

DistrictCyclone

I also disagree that players leaving early to play in the NBA is inherently bad. If it raises the profile of the program and can be touted as an asset on the recruiting trail, by all means we want to be putting players in the NBA early.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    I disagree with one thing, which is "no longer will we be watching starters for one or two years and calling it good".

I think we'll be seeing plenty of one-and-dones so long as the eligibility requirements say the same.
    True, like Vaughn.

But, that being said, I was meaning no more older, experienced players coming here and teaching the younger guys. I think Hoiberg will have a bigger responsibility now. I'm not saying he didn't coach or whatever, but he had A LOT of help from these transfers and there experience. Next year, Ejim is his only experience, though Niang is his biggest leader.

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 15

Nice post. I was just thinking about this myself. Iowa State is no longer Transfer U. May pick up a couple here or there, but nothing like this.

And the real question now is, Will the quick success predicated on transfers be carried forward into a Cyclone Dynasty?
    I think the answer is yes.

DistrictCyclone

Must spread the rep, by the way. Great post, Cubs.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This was my bad for not making it clear - I definitely think we will bring in transfers down the road.

However, we will never again have 3 playing on the team at the same time - we will never again need them to raise this program up.

The era is ending at the perfect time - it's like riding a bike. The program is the little kid, these transfers are the dads pushing the bike. They just let go and now our youngsters, our players that have only experienced "the Iowa State way" have it to themselves.

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 19

As far as coaching, I'd love to have Chris Babb here. His defensive insights could take the Cyclones to the next level.

But he will be playing professionally for a few years. He's that good, and deserves to make a paycheck from his abilities.

Just like his coach, Fred.

Prospect
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

75% of Cyclone Nation was against the hire of Hoiberg? dafuq?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 915
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

When I look at this team I see family. They were always laughing having a good time. Unlike teams like Michigan State where their teams fight in the huddle. I'll definitely miss seeing these guys play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    And I'm thinking that cycofan just made the air, baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I'll be honest, Cycofan1 sounds much older than what he makes me believe on here.

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 2

Kids are much more likely to transfer schools these days. It isn't just an athletic thing; it's a trend among the regular student population as well. But no question in athletics it's increased a great deal and will continue to do so, especially with the push for more rights for athletes, like getting paid and/or the ability to transfer whenever a coach leaves or transfer without redshirting, etc.

With that trend in mind, Hoiberg is ahead of the curve in learning how to recruit and manage transfer students. We probably don't want it to be the foundation of the program year in and year out, but I think it's far more likely that other schools are going to start taking more transfers. Especially schools like ISU that can't necessarily lure blue-chips straight out of high school.

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 47

The news that Mcdermott was leaving should be green. Green for the best news in the entire world.

Last edited by nickcyv; 03-24-2013 at 05:33 PM.