Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

What is the point?

What is the point in people bring up all the old posts/threads about when Fred Hoiberg was hired? If you need an "I told you so" or "look at who was wrong" thread, you seriously need a life.

If you are one that thought it was great, awesome, pat on the back to you to thinking it was great but not REALLY knowing. If you didn't, congrats to you for thinking it was risky as he had no experience, you got unlucky, bummer.

Did I think it was a great hire? not sure, I don't think back that far. Someone can dig up my comments, which I'm sure some internet message board junkie will. Does it matter what we said 3 years ago? If you think so, darn it.

I will say he is my first Iowa State idol. He did an autograph for me in a heartbeat that will never be replaced. Great player, great man, evolving into a great coach. He was how I became an addicated Iowa State fan. But... old opinions people stated do not matter. Thinking now is my hope is we never have to be forced into a situation where we have to let our golden boy go.

Go Cyclones. Go Fred. Love ya both, one in the same.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 282

Re: What is the point?

Nobody really cares what anybody said 3 years ago (e.g. I still think Alarson is a good poster). I, however, am concerned that you think addicated is a word.

Legend
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 34

It's funny to look back at some of the posts but calling people out because of them is kinda dumb.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by MadCy View Post
    What is the point in people bring up all the old posts/threads about when Fred Hoiberg was hired? If you need an "I told you so" or "look at who was wrong" thread, you seriously need a life.

If you are one that thought it was great, awesome, pat on the back to you to thinking it was great but not REALLY knowing. If you didn't, congrats to you for thinking it was risky as he had no experience, you got unlucky, bummer.

Did I think it was a great hire? not sure, I don't think back that far. Someone can dig up my comments, which I'm sure some internet message board junkie will. Does it matter what we said 3 years ago? If you think so, darn it.

I will say he is my first Iowa State idol. He did an autograph for me in a heartbeat that will never be replaced. Great player, great man, evolving into a great coach. He was how I became an addicated Iowa State fan. But... old opinions people stated do not matter. Thinking now is my hope is we never have to be forced into a situation where we have to let our golden boy go.

Go Cyclones. Go Fred. Love ya both, one in the sam.
    Seriously? Overreact much? Those threads are fun & hilarious to read now. The majority of us aren't taking the "i told you so" or "look what an idiot you were" approach. The threads are a cool look back at where we were a few short years ago, regardless of our initial thoughts on the Hoiberg hire.

"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it"........It's not a bad idea to reflect once in a while.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,635
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Message board drama. I can't take it anymore.

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 37

Just think. In 3 short years we can look back on this thread about looking back on other threads and see how our thoughts on looking back have changed

All-Star
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 753
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Isn't the whole point of the internet to save dumb things that people say to make them look like an *** later?

a/s/l?

Starter
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Farnsworth View Post
    Just think. In 3 short years we can look back on this thread about looking back on other threads and see how our thoughts on looking back have changed
    And of course there is the inevitable thread about looking back on looking back on looking back on looking back at the Hoiberg thread. Someone correct me if I got too many "looking backs"

Keepers of the Faith -- Member

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 37

I think that's 1 to many looking backs. Although this may be seen as visionary when we look back on this post later.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 326
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by MadCy View Post

Go Cyclones. Go Fred. Love ya both, one in the same.
    you're taking those posts too seriously. Obviously, we're all happy that Fred is succeeding. (with the possible exception of deadeyededric) Message boards are full of people defending relatively uninformed and unprovable opinions. "My team is better than your team! My favorite player is better than your favorite player" type stuff. Thousands upon thousands of keystrokes are spent rallying the cause, with very little ground gained on either side. Discussions get heated. Frustrations abound. So when we get some kind of definite, clear, black and white result, it's only natural for the "winner" to chide the "loser." (To be clear, I'm not using those terms sardonically. well... again with the deadeyededric exception...) Those who were disappointed in the hire ought to be happily eating crow, and many of them have admitted as much, and that's good, because Fred's results are the important thing, and those have been beneficial for everyone. (even deadeyededric, as his refusal to watch ISU basketball and buy season tickets has no doubt left him with more pocket money and free time for his other hobbies)

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by MJ271 View Post
    And of course there is the inevitable thread about looking back on looking back on looking back on looking back at the Hoiberg thread. Someone correct me if I got too many "looking backs"
    I look forward to that day.

All truisms are false. All of them.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 530

For my part, I just think it's fun to relive the time. Just a day or two before hiring Fred, we were in the gutter and getting worse. Suddenly, something came up, we wrestled our way at different paces to some sort of hope for it, and then here we are.

As one of the culprits here for bumping the thread, I'll put that out there.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 146

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    you're taking those posts too seriously. Obviously, we're all happy that Fred is succeeding. (with the possible exception of deadeyededric) Message boards are full of people defending relatively uninformed and unprovable opinions. "My team is better than your team! My favorite player is better than your favorite player" type stuff. Thousands upon thousands of keystrokes are spent rallying the cause, with very little ground gained on either side. Discussions get heated. Frustrations abound. So when we get some kind of definite, clear, black and white result, it's only natural for the "winner" to chide the "loser." (To be clear, I'm not using those terms sardonically. well... again with the deadeyededric exception...) Those who were disappointed in the hire ought to be happily eating crow, and many of them have admitted as much, and that's good, because Fred's results are the important thing, and those have been beneficial for everyone. (even deadeyededric, as his refusal to watch ISU basketball and buy season tickets has no doubt left him with more pocket money and free time for his other hobbies)
    This sums it up nicely. Good post.

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

All I know is that when my great-great grandson is reading this post for the first time in 2078 with his new Frontal Cortex Inductive Browser, he's going to know that I predicted every one of Fred's eventual SEVEN national championships.

And then he'll ask my great-grandson "Dad, should we thaw great-great grandpa out from the cryofreezer to tell him that President Hoiberg actually won NINE national championships at ISU before he was unanimously drafted to lead the free world?"

"Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

Speechless
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 530

7? I always had high hopes for Fred. That's a disappointing number.

Should've hired someone else.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/