Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1
    CF Founder
    Points: 240,724, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Urbandale, IA
    Posts
    13,234
    Points
    240,724
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 167

    Wink Academic Standards at Iowa

    In a recent thread on a Hawkeye board, a member refers to the loss of Running Back recruit Jason Ford this past weekend after he initially committed to Iowa...


    Posted: 11/26/2007 4:42 PM
    Re: flyt tracker
    i don't mind losing ford.... we don't need his 2.0 gpa and 16 act to ruin our academic standards at iowa.

    That right there shows you that they're smoking something special in Iowa City these days.


    A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 33,795, Level: 56
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    isuforlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,733
    Points
    33,795
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 173

    Re: Academic Standards at Iowa

    too funny



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 213,770, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,068
    Points
    213,770
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 13

    Re: Academic Standards at Iowa

    FWIW, both Iowa and ISU have the same standards...


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  4. #4
    CF Founder
    Points: 240,724, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Urbandale, IA
    Posts
    13,234
    Points
    240,724
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 167

    Re: Academic Standards at Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    FWIW, both Iowa and ISU have the same standards...
    While the academic standards on the books may be the same, you can't tell me Iowa's recent "standards" are anything but below those of about any inner-city school in Mexico City. Standards lead to discipline, not allowing over a dozen criminals to still stay on scholarship.


    A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

  5. #5
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Academic Standards at Iowa

    Speaking of flight tracker

    mgoblog


    Last edited by CycloneSA1911; 11-26-2007 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Link

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 336,980, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,904
    Points
    336,980
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

    Re: Academic Standards at Iowa

    What goes around comes around. It's not a matter of if, but when we'll have the next off-field issue. I just hope and never anticipate it will be anything like what's going on in Iowa City.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 213,770, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,068
    Points
    213,770
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 13

    Re: Academic Standards at Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    While the academic standards on the books may be the same, you can't tell me Iowa's recent "standards" are anything but below those of about any inner-city school in Mexico City. Standards lead to discipline, not allowing over a dozen criminals to still stay on scholarship.
    As I said, Iowa and ISU have about the same standards. I've attended both schools, and while the Iowa students are generally more douchey, Iowa doesn't have any lower standards than ISU. ISU has allowed "criminals" to remain on scholarship multiple times, and even went as far as giving a scholarship twice to a "criminal"


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  8. #8
    Giving it a go
    Points: 254,933, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chadm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    14,606
    Points
    254,933
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

    Re: Academic Standards at Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    What goes around comes around. It's not a matter of if, but when we'll have the next off-field issue. I just hope and never anticipate it will be anything like what's going on in Iowa City.
    I agree with you and this is going to sound very junior high, but it will take 14 arrests in a row to come even with the Hawks.


    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

  9. #9
    CF Founder
    Points: 240,724, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Urbandale, IA
    Posts
    13,234
    Points
    240,724
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 167

    Re: Academic Standards at Iowa

    I'll agree, ISU hasn't been perfect but I really think their new coaches and AD have made it a matter of importance to keep things clean. We easily could have kept Taylor but got rid of him before big problems started. There's being proactive and being reactive and I think ISU finally has a staff working to keep things clean instead of just trying to clean-up after the fact.


    A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 95,928, Level: 96
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,122
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,190
    Points
    95,928
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

    Re: Academic Standards at Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    As I said, Iowa and ISU have about the same standards. I've attended both schools, and while the Iowa students are generally more douchey, Iowa doesn't have any lower standards than ISU. ISU has allowed "criminals" to remain on scholarship multiple times, and even went as far as giving a scholarship twice to a "criminal"
    There is a big difference in my book between stealing, breaking training rules and sexual assault. And yet the University of Iowa is handling the latter like its a minor infraction. There is a young woman at issue, yet by all reports, this was passed around like a parking ticket, ignored and still has not been fully addressed. We're talking about alleged rape here, yet Iowa has made it an athletic issue. As I said, this is a major difference between Iowa State and the University of Iowa. So don't compare stealing a cell phone with a rape, please...



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 213,770, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,068
    Points
    213,770
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 13

    Re: Academic Standards at Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    There is a big difference in my book between stealing, breaking training rules and sexual assault. And yet the University of Iowa is handling the latter like its a minor infraction. There is a young woman at issue, yet by all reports, this was passed around like a parking ticket, ignored and still has not been fully addressed. We're talking about alleged rape here, yet Iowa has made it an athletic issue. As I said, this is a major difference between Iowa State and the University of Iowa. So don't compare stealing a cell phone with a rape, please...
    Wait, the U of I is supposed to kick students out based on accusations? Don't accuse me of EVER comparing stealing with rape. Ever. That may be the dumbest thing anybody has said to me in a long time. The fact of the matter is, the alleged offenders in that case are not with the football team, and the university is weighting for the legal process to work itsself out.

    I don't know the details, you don't know the details, and the Des Moines Register doesn't know the details with what's going on. Cite the timeline they came up with, whatever, but this is the same paper that so many people on this board (and just the general public) think is garbage.

    The crime at Iowa - general student population - isn't any higher than here at ISU. But please, if you're going to argue this, claiming anybody, even a much hated Hawkeye fan, would ever compare stealing a cell phone - or anything for that matter - to rape.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 95,928, Level: 96
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,122
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,190
    Points
    95,928
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

    Re: Academic Standards at Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    Wait, the U of I is supposed to kick students out based on accusations? Don't accuse me of EVER comparing stealing with rape. Ever. That may be the dumbest thing anybody has said to me in a long time. The fact of the matter is, the alleged offenders in that case are not with the football team, and the university is weighting for the legal process to work itsself out.

    I don't know the details, you don't know the details, and the Des Moines Register doesn't know the details with what's going on. Cite the timeline they came up with, whatever, but this is the same paper that so many people on this board (and just the general public) think is garbage.

    The crime at Iowa - general student population - isn't any higher than here at ISU. But please, if you're going to argue this, claiming anybody, even a much hated Hawkeye fan, would ever compare stealing a cell phone - or anything for that matter - to rape.
    I accept your comments on the assault issue, however, my point is how one university chooses to handle this issue vs another. At the University of Iowa, sexual assaults are turned over to the athletic dept (see DM REG), at Iowa State the City of Ames PD handles it. The facts speak for themselves, no investigation for weeks...etc. To say there is no difference in the way these issues are being handled by the two universities is just not the case. Whatever the reason, the handling of criminal issues at the University of Iowa is breeding corruption and needs to be changed.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 213,770, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,068
    Points
    213,770
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 13

    Re: Academic Standards at Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    I accept your comments on the assault issue, however, my point is how one university chooses to handle this issue vs another. At the University of Iowa, sexual assaults are turned over to the athletic dept (see DM REG), at Iowa State the City of Ames PD handles it. The facts speak for themselves, no investigation for weeks...etc. To say there is no difference in the way these issues are being handled by the two universities is just not the case. Whatever the reason, the handling of criminal issues at the University of Iowa is breeding corruption and needs to be changed.
    Again, you lack your information. If a sexual assault is reported, it goes to the police. Not to the Iowa AD. If an assault is not reported, then there is nothing that law enforcement can do. If this is the case, the AD steps in (which they did), and suspend the players (which they did).

    There was no investigation, because there was nothing to investigate. The authorities had not officially been notified for several weeks after the fact. Spin it all you want, that's the truth. You may hate Iowa more than anything, but to actually convince yourself that they are covering up a sexual assault is naive.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 65,077, Level: 79
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,373
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonesrule91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Waukee
    Posts
    4,933
    Points
    65,077
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 99

    Re: Academic Standards at Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    Again, you lack your information. If a sexual assault is reported, it goes to the police. Not to the Iowa AD. If an assault is not reported, then there is nothing that law enforcement can do. If this is the case, the AD steps in (which they did), and suspend the players (which they did).

    There was no investigation, because there was nothing to investigate. The authorities had not officially been notified for several weeks after the fact. Spin it all you want, that's the truth. You may hate Iowa more than anything, but to actually convince yourself that they are covering up a sexual assault is naive.
    You say we don't know the facts. So what great sources do you have where you know all the information that we lack. You say we don't know the facts and are trying to make it worse then it really is............I say you might now know all the facts and we might not be hard enough on your 11 players arrested 14 or 17 or however many times....

    It can go both ways buddy



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 213,770, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,068
    Points
    213,770
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 13

    Re: Academic Standards at Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesrule91 View Post
    You say we don't know the facts. So what great sources do you have where you know all the information that we lack. You say we don't know the facts and are trying to make it worse then it really is............I say you might now know all the facts and we might not be hard enough on your 11 players arrested 14 or 17 or however many times....

    It can go both ways buddy
    I'm not going to look up the article that says they didn't get an official complaint from the victims until several weeks later, if you want to, great. However, I am the nephew of a lawyer, and know a thing or two about how the legal system works. If the authorities aren't notified, there is nothing they can do. If they are notified, it has nothing to do with the university. The university can only go so far into these investigations without breaking the law - the rest is up to public officials.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM