Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 716

Re: Game of Thrones Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I named my kids after Roger Zelazny characters. My 8 yr old is Corwin after the protagonist in Zelazny's Chronicle of Amber series. The 6 yr old is Conrad. Not that unique but the idea came from Zelazny's This Immortal.
    Ours are names from classical literature that also just happen to be British royalty and/or powerful American political figures.

M 7/09

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 66

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Oh goodness! :) Well, I'm sure your child will thank your wife 25 years from now when she's looking for a job, and the show has long ended and the books are footnotes.
    We each got to choose a name but also could veto the other person's choice if they thought it was bad. I had about 35 vetos before she agreed to one LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AltHawk View Post
    Why would it? One bad game doesn't change a thing. Iowa will still be a darkhorse B1G championship contender, and Iowa State will be lucky to make the NIT.

If you ask the basketball analysts outside the state of Iowa I think you would be surprised to hear their responses. Iowa was pegged as a preseason top 5 team by one ESPN analyst and is ranked in the vast, vast majority of preseason top 25 polls

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 789
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 45

Oh goodness! :) Well, I'm sure your child will thank your wife 25 years from now when she's looking for a job, and the show has long ended and the books are footnotes.
    game of thrones as footnotes blasphemy!!!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 789
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 45

Khalessi is better than some baby names celebrities have been naming their kids.

The 20 Most Bizarre Celebrity Baby Names | Cracked.com

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Daserop View Post
    Khalessi is better than some baby names celebrities have been naming their kids.

The 20 Most Bizarre Celebrity Baby Names | Cracked.com
    I cannot disagree. As a whole, baby names are pretty freaking weird these days. I don't think people always remember that a baby's name is his/her brand for the entirety of their life, it's marketing as much as nostalgia or whim.

M 7/09

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 6

here's a topic I talk about with friends a lot...

I hated, and I mean whole-heartedly full-fledged hated Catelyn in the books. I couldn't stand her chapters. She was even worse than Bran or Brienne chapters (Brienne was hated because she was used to insert a tour book into the series and not add a lot of plot for most of the chapters).

But, now that I'm watching the show, I'm finding the character of Cat a whole lot more palatable. It's probably because in the book, her entire internal dialogue is whining about everything and everyone, and because I can't hear that in the tv show, I get to just see the external presentation, which is a pretty cool chick.

Anyone else surprised by a character they love in the show but hate in the books? Or the other way around, a character you loved in the books but hate in the show? (I've lost my crush on Asha as a result of the show....)

"It was like going on vacation to go play Iowa." - Coach Johnny Orr

Speechless
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 62

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomeborg View Post

I hated, and I mean whole-heartedly full-fledged hated Catelyn in the books. I couldn't stand her chapters. She was even worse than Bran or Brienne chapters (Brienne was hated because she was used to insert a tour book into the series and not add a lot of plot for most of the chapters).

But, now that I'm watching the show, I'm finding the character of Cat a whole lot more palatable. It's probably because in the book, her entire internal dialogue is whining about everything and everyone, and because I can't hear that in the tv show, I get to just see the external presentation, which is a pretty cool chick.

Anyone else surprised by a character they love in the show but hate in the books? Or the other way around, a character you loved in the books but hate in the show? (I've lost my crush on Asha as a result of the show....)
    Cat's perspective was tough to read in the book, because she is so devastated by losing her family. But I liked her chapters as they had a lot of major events in them, as you saw what was going on with Robb through her eyes. I can't say I hated her though, it just sucks to read someone's perspective who is so sad all the time (especially in comparison to Tyrion or Jamie chapters, who are so witty).

I like Sam much moreso in the show than in the books (like you, probably a product of not having his inner monologue) though I absolutely loved his chapters north of the wall, just not him. By the way, the one main scene from this season where the show didn't do the book justice was the Night's Watch escape from the Fist with the Others and zombies in pursuit. Also I like Theon better in the show than the books. Tyrells are more interesting characters as well.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've been pretty consistent amongst the books and series, other than with Asha, who looks like a goblin.

I also don't care much for Catelyn - as a mother, I cannot fathom just up and leaving your youngest children, one of whom is in a coma, to run off and seek revenge. I get being incredibly angry, but that comes second to taking care of your children. So all of her internal angst is a lot her own fault. I mean, the Lannisters really did a number on her, but come on, 90% of the crap that happened to Bran and Rickon wouldn't have if she had been there.

Jon Snow is actually more likable in the show for me than he is in the book. I like the idea of Jon Snow, but he's always just so conflicted. I get it, you're a bastard, life is hard. Not everything has to be a life-changing decision.

M 7/09

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've been pretty consistent amongst the books and series, other than with Asha, who looks like a goblin.

I also don't care much for Catelyn - as a mother, I cannot fathom just up and leaving your youngest children, one of whom is in a coma, to run off and seek revenge. I get being incredibly angry, but that comes second to taking care of your children. So all of her internal angst is a lot her own fault. I mean, the Lannisters really did a number on her, but come on, 90% of the crap that happened to Bran and Rickon wouldn't have if she had been there.

Jon Snow is actually more likable in the show for me than he is in the book. I like the idea of Jon Snow, but he's always just so conflicted. I get it, you're a bastard, life is hard. Not everything has to be a life-changing decision.
    See, I think I like Jon less in the show than I do in the books, because the show tries so very hard to make him so very brooding. I never saw him quite so... always dour.... except during his first few months at Castle Black (Before he had a couple people beat some sense into his head about his place and potential). By the time Jon got back to the wall with the Wildlings, I actually thought he was acting like a really happy dude (it always made the choices he had to make seem that more tragic when I felt like he was honestly happy with the Wildlings...). It's a small thing, honestly. I like the Wall and the Brothers a lot, and Jon is the way we get to see them, so he exists in that realm of "don't mind him, love what he shows us," while Cat and Bran exist in the realm of "jeepers christmas, I really wish that so much important crap didn't happen in their chapters, I hate these people..." and Brienne is in the "man, I wish something way more important would happen in these chapters, because I like Brienne, just don't need the travel-channel of Westeros every chapter..."

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

See, I think I like Jon less in the show than I do in the books, because the show tries so very hard to make him so very brooding. I never saw him quite so... always dour.... except during his first few months at Castle Black (Before he had a couple people beat some sense into his head about his place and potential). By the time Jon got back to the wall with the Wildlings, I actually thought he was acting like a really happy dude (it always made the choices he had to make seem that more tragic when I felt like he was honestly happy with the Wildlings...). It's a small thing, honestly. I like the Wall and the Brothers a lot, and Jon is the way we get to see them, so he exists in that realm of "don't mind him, love what he shows us," while Cat and Bran exist in the realm of "jeepers christmas, I really wish that so much important crap didn't happen in their chapters, I hate these people..." and Brienne is in the "man, I wish something way more important would happen in these chapters, because I like Brienne, just don't need the travel-channel of Westeros every chapter..."
    I like the characters on the Wall a lot, but I have to admit that the Others storyline isn't really my thing (which is unfortunate, as I have a feeling it will be the bulk of the last two books). I get the point, but the intrigue and the actual Game of Thrones is more interesting to me.

I can't agree more on Bran. I was so happy to have a reprieve from him in Book 4. And I sort of want to push the Reeds off the side of a mountain, especially Jojen.

Brienne really is interesting to me, as well - I do wish she'd see more action.

M 7/09

Speechless
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 62

I thought Bran's chapters in Book 5 were outstanding, a huge improvement over the previous books. I think there were only 3 or 4, but if I was to rank by characters his would be my favorite in Book 5.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I like the characters on the Wall a lot, but I have to admit that the Others storyline isn't really my thing (which is unfortunate, as I have a feeling it will be the bulk of the last two books). I get the point, but the intrigue and the actual Game of Thrones is more interesting to me.

I can't agree more on Bran. I was so happy to have a reprieve from him in Book 4. And I sort of want to push the Reeds off the side of a mountain, especially Jojen.

Brienne really is interesting to me, as well - I do wish she'd see more action.
    I think the show has made it possible for me to replace my crush on Asha with a crush on Meera that I can't explain (and it feels dirty to love someone who isn't a Greyjoy), but I really have always hated Jojen a little, but mostly because he was in Bran chapters, and I assume that everything in Bran chapters is coated in suck.

It's why I missed most of the awesome of the Bran chapters in Book 5. Without any spoilers, the second reading of those chapters made me go "... where did this awesome come from?"

And I agree with you. I like the politics a whole lot better than the fantasy elements. I mean, I get that the dragons are the fire, and the others are the ice, and this is their song. I just have too many characters and plotlines that I want to see explored more fully to be 100% behind the books delving even further into the snow-zombies-from-cold-hell stuff.

And then book 5 introduced more wrinkles.... and another claimant....

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    I thought Bran's chapters in Book 5 were outstanding, a huge improvement over the previous books. I think there were only 3 or 4, but if I was to rank by characters his would be my favorite in Book 5.
    agreed. I missed a lot of the awesome the first time around because I was so gun-shy about Bran chapters from before. The Three Eyed Crow is one of my favorite (solved) mysteries of the series.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm a little over halfway through Book 5 right now, and will fully admit that Bran is just waaaay better than before. In Book 3, it was so freaking tiresome. Even in the beginning of Book 5, while they were still walking.

M 7/09

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm a little over halfway through Book 5 right now, and will fully admit that Bran is just waaaay better than before. In Book 3, it was so freaking tiresome. Even in the beginning of Book 5, while they were still walking.
    I know!

It felt like Bran walked and walked and walked for... like... 13 books on his own. They hired Robert Jordan and Frank Herbert's children to write the continued saga of Bran Walking North. I'm pretty sure that the show is going to have to create a could plot lines for that little band of characters just so we don't get two seasons of Isaac Hempstead-Wrigh looking right into the camera and saying, exasperated, "yes, I'm still freakin' walking. I know it took Jon and Tyrion, a pair you would have liked to have seen have all this time to talk and be awesome together, like, two episodes to reach Castle Black, but man, we're taking the long way. Not the scenic way, just the long way. So, like, can we talk about how I've clearly gone through puberty between the time I left Winterfel and when I met the Reeds? Like, to the extent that maybe there's a romantic sub plot developing here?"

... actually, I think I'd like that....