Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 104

Twister Sister Summary - who are the Zags?

Well, the ticket is punched and the team is heading to Spokane, Washington for a first round matchup with Gonzaga. This is the same team that upset Iowa at home a few years ago. Here’s what I can tell you about the Zags.

The most glaring thing in their schedule is that they are relatively untested. Only two ranked opponents in the non-conference season – Stanford (27 point loss at home) and Louisville (13 point loss in a neutral tournament). They beat a bad Wisconsin team early and had a close loss to an average Ohio State team. They also lost at home to a horrid Washington State team. Good wins? How about three over San Diego? So, in a nutshell they have wins over no other tournament teams that I can see at a quick glance.

Statistically this is what I see.
    Free throws – very average. Fouling typically won’t hurt you as they shoot 63% as a team. Their opponents shoot more than they do by a slight margin. Iowa State is shooting these at a phenomenal rate – nearly 81%. We’ve made over 115 more free throws than they have.

Rebounding – They average 40 boards a game while giving up 35. Just short of a 2:1 split defensive to offensive boards. ISU averages 40 per game giving up 31 with well over a 2:1 defensive to offensive ratio. We’ve pulled in over 100 more defensive boards than the Zags while they have about 90 more offensive boards. This is one that we’ll have to do a better job at. Of course our stats are slightly skewed by playing Baylor 3 times. Just the same, the Zags have put up over 200 more shots than we have which correlates with those offensive boards.

Three point shooting – As a team the Zags shoot 36% compared to ISU’s 33%. That might bother you except we’ve shot over 200 more of them. They have one ace shooter (Karr) who is hitting at a 43% pace on 150 attempts. We have four starters that have made nearly as many as the Zags entire team. I suspect we will see Brynn assigned to guard/smother Karr.

Offense – The Zags average 70 per game and are strong inside. This should be an interesting matchup of our strength and theirs. Our posts are playing some of their best ball right now so this will be fun. State averages 68 per game. Redmon and Karr are their ball handlers and have assists (together) that equal what Moody has done. On the surface this looks pretty even so lets go to what I think will be the critical stat – defense.

Defense – The Zags have only given up 54 points per game compared to ISU’s 57. By the numbers its advantage Zags. BUT…compare the competition and this isn’t even close. The Zags outpace us on steals but that shouldn’t be a surprise. They have 1/3 more than we do but average only about 1 less turnover per game than we do. Our guards are going to have to really value the ball as this is the one stat that would give me worry. Fouls? They foul at about the same pace that we do.

The Zags are led by two guards – Karr and Palmer who are the only two averaging double figures on the team. Both are 5’8” and Karr is the only threat from outside the arc. 6’4” Sunny Greinacher is strong inside followed by redshirt frosh Cheslek (6’5”). So we know they have height, but that height is young (soph and frosh). They have 6’3” Golden who started 8 games but primarily comes off the bench. Interestingly, only Greinacher can hit free throws.

They appear to mirror our structure to a degree, but only have one main outside shooter rather than our numerous weapons. Their bigs don’t go outside so Prins stepping out will be a matchup problem, opening the inside to Pop and Hal. If Brynn does a shut down job on Karr the game shifts dramatically. They have size (we have size) and they have quick guards. Stop Karr and control the offensive boards while being efficient on offense are my keys to the game.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 120

Re: Twister Sister Summary - who are the Zags?

I would say the one key is how we handle the Zags' relentless pressure defense. That's their trademark, that's who they are, that's what fuels their offense.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Value the ball. Our offensive efficiency refers to keeping turnovers low, valuing the ball and getting good shots. Against a pressure defense we have to be agressive. With several days to prepare I suspect Coach Fen will have a good game plan to break the press in place. Your concern is definitely justified...at least it won't be anything new to the ladies.

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 775
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 313

So, is their pressure defense a classic pressing style or is it the new thugging mugging pressure style?

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Another point of interest...they have 11 players with significant minutes (I compared to our 7th player Ellis).

Recruit
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    The Zags are led by two guards – Karr and Palmer who are the only two averaging double figures on the team. Both are 5’8” and Karr is the only threat from outside the arc. Stop Karr and control the offensive boards while being efficient on offense are my keys to the game.
    The coaching staff should very familiar with Karr from her days at Kansas State. She transferred to Gonzaga from KSU.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This might give you an idea what they are like...sounds similar to issues we faced in the Big 12...
    From the Salt Lake City Tribune:
    ""Gonzaga is a really good team, and they beat us three times this year," said BYU coach Jeff Judkins. "I know it is hard to beat somebody three times in a row, but they did it. So give them credit. They have a very balanced, strong team."Judkins was visibly frustrated with the officiating the whole game, and his frustration boiled over late when the outcome was no longer in doubt, resulting in a technical foul.
    "I thought [the officials] let them get real physical with us, push us, and they wouldn’t let us do the same," he said. "As a team, as a player, you have to adjust to it. ... I just let her know, she is going to referee our games next year, that, ‘Hey, you can’t let us get pushed like that all the time. You have got to be more consistent.’ "
    Eighteen fouls were called on BYU, 12 on Gonzaga."

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 775
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 313

This might give you an idea what they are like...sounds similar to issues we faced in the Big 12...
    ""Gonzaga is a really good team, and they beat us three times this year," said BYU coach Jeff Judkins. "I know it is hard to beat somebody three times in a row, but they did it. So give them credit. They have a very balanced, strong team."Judkins was visibly frustrated with the officiating the whole game, and his frustration boiled over late when the outcome was no longer in doubt, resulting in a technical foul.
    "I thought [the officials] let them get real physical with us, push us, and they wouldn’t let us do the same," he said. "As a team, as a player, you have to adjust to it. ... I just let her know, she is going to referee our games next year, that, ‘Hey, you can’t let us get pushed like that all the time. You have got to be more consistent.’ "
    Ah, ****. I suppose we might get refs who will call it even?

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Senior guard Taelor Karr was named the WCC Player of the Year, junior guard Jazmine Redmon was tabbed the WCC Defender of the Year and Graves carted off Coach of the Year accolades. Sunny Greinacher was an honorable mention selection and Shelby Cheslek was named to the All-Freshman team.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 36

Another point of interest...they have 11 players with significant minutes (I compared to our 7th player Ellis).
    That could be a problem. It is good we are going to go into this game rested.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Starter
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 786
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 66

Well, it wasn't one of the horrible women who ref our games, but that quote is rather discouraging to read. Hopefully the girls will be ready and come out swinging like they did against OU.

All people who make sweepingly generalized, stupid, uninformed comments are idiots.

(maybe)

Rookie
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 9

Sounds like a lot of the the teams we now play, West Virginia maybe? In the last year or so I think we've gotten better at handling the press and and we've toughened up so to speak at every position in my opinion. If we can avoid careless fouls and shoot a decent percentage we should be fine.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Was in spokane today. Actually within a few blocks of the zags campus. How do I talk my wife into this while she is on maternity leave.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    Was in spokane today. Actually within a few blocks of the zags campus. How do I talk my wife into this while she is on maternity leave.
    Good luck! Need as many Cyclone fans as we can get.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

One point of direct comparison. Both teams played Loyola Marymount. The Zags won 79-57 and 70-56. State beat them 55-33 in mid November.